September 2024 Water Media Challenge- Come join the fun!

PaintBoss

Contributing Member
Hi everyone. 👋🏻 I hope you will join me in the September Water Media challenge!
All levels welcome. First time trying any water mediums? Do not be shy! We all started the very same way.🙂Just start and play around, and see where it leads you!
I have chosen subjects that can challenge all levels. I hope one or more photos inspires you to pop out your art supplies and give it a go. Please use any of these photos from my albums.
Pls post all your work here in this thread during the month.
Pls post what water mediums you used and any other comments you would like to share.
Let’s also be supportive of each other!
It is better to try than not try at all. You may just surprise yourself! I love when that happens.😀
Please post your works after September 1st.
I do hope we see you here. Have fun!
C54881A6-52ED-4B35-8364-0D4A34974704.jpeg

8F68B9E2-C273-4781-81FA-104C4C5D6FF8.jpeg

BB54B882-46DB-4FDE-B9C0-D1AAD34C1DE3.jpeg

B24E7A7C-0A8F-4E12-B750-904A69A5F5CC.jpeg

F9987CCB-F1CA-4948-B40A-00A38A1D55B5.jpeg

21076546-7BCB-4C1F-96A5-6A9B54BBF7F4.jpeg
94073BEE-68EA-4B78-B8B5-5F6C499BCDC6.jpeg

88D8D325-B739-48D6-B329-B764DE1223A4.jpeg

7468BC24-1C2E-41DF-862E-EC1208FBFFE4.jpeg

249DDE6D-BA5B-4AA6-AC5D-4549F56EF9A2.jpeg

FE133094-F0AB-413B-858B-9387BA4DCE72.jpeg

21DF8134-733C-42BF-B98B-960CEF78E544.jpeg

7F6FBFE2-E036-4E0E-834C-02D88CCFAFB0.jpeg

6C22DB6C-62F0-4CD2-B299-D203B0087B5A.jpeg

8027B145-3CC2-4B73-B9CF-FF8B9B3034DC.jpeg

FA5915D8-80EA-4191-9305-A2AB74CC56E7.jpeg

IMG_0201.jpeg

Last edited:
Glad you like the photos. Hope to see you all here this month!🙂

Last edited:
Wow, what wonderful pictures to choose from!

I'm in one of those blank paper paralysis modes. Honestly, I just don't know why I'm stuck. I even got busy and set up a place to paint here in the living room, and I've dug out all the supplies to boot (been moving) and everything looks so nice and inviting---but then every day I just find myself procrastinating. I've got wonderful, abundant supplies and a much bigger home with only me in it and even an extra room stocked with my "stuff" ----and here I sit like a toad on a log. Sigh! Again I'll be going to bed tonight vowing that tomorrow---FOR SURE----I'm going to tackle that watercolor block.

Well, we'll see. I'll let you know. Tomorrow! Really!!!

Oh, I know that feeling! We just have to sit down and get pencil to paper. It’s just the first move that’s the hardest!
Hope to see you here soon and I hope the move has gone well.🙂

It happens to us all. But even if I don't feel like painting I will sketch or vice versa, as long as it gets done each day. A creative habit. Today I got the poppies sketched, yay!

That’s a good habit Kay because you know you can start out not feeling like anything’s there and then as you go, it happens. What is that saying about the Muse? If she shows up she better not find you napping? Lol Well, I know if you wait for the Muse or the feeling you could be waiting a while. But yes, that blank canvas can be a little intimidating just like a blank piece of paper to a writer. If you start, at least you have something to work from.

Just to make y’all aware, I’ll be a little slow at producing alot. I took a terrible fall yesterday and hurt myself. So I’m paying attention to the threads and looking forward to everyone’s contributions. But luckily I had been working away hard on this before the fall and was able to finish the details slowly today. At least I think it’s finished? I chose not to put in all the leaves because I like the effect, but I don’t know if that’s the right call. It is slightly… not abstract, but stylised? Like where does the one stem go? Lol but I didn’t want this to turn into a leafy plant. I wanted it slightly popping and graphic. I will have to think about it. I am also wondering about more highlights on the one flower at the bottom.
Acrylic, 16”x 20”.
IMG_0325.jpeg

Last edited:
PaintBoss, Christine, oh my, that is so beautiful. Doesn't need a thing! Perfection! Sorry about your fall. Take care. Ouch!!!

Oh thank you Jo! 🙂 You know some parts of a painting you work and work and work on, not quite getting it. Then another part comes together like magic! It just sort of happens and you get lucky. I had both in this piece.

Your poppies are wonderful Christine, I love them. Sorry to hear about your fall, I hope you feel better soon.

I tried the poppies too but I painted the small, left one a little too far out. I put in the leaves but I don't think that makes or breaks the painting. This is pen and Inktense watercolor, about 7"x7" in XL Mixed Media sketchbook. As I am looking at this, the bottom flower might need another layer to intensify the color a little. I'll have to think about it.

20240904Sk8 Poppies (Water Media Challenge).png

Thank you Ams. But my, I love your poppies too!🙂💜 Your simpler approach is so lovely. I think you prove how a simpler smaller take can be so very effective. I like your piece just the way it is! I think you captured the lighting on your bottom flower better than mine. I see I might need to put in my stem. Yours looks so good. You are inspiring me. I think you did a suburb job. I hope you frame it!🙂🙂👏🏻

Thanks Christine for your comments. I find it interesting to look at how different artists and styles can take very different approaches on the same reference and they can all be effective.

Lovely dramatic poppies, Christine, they are perfect as is. Sorry about your fall! Rest up!

Anne, your version using line and wash is fresh as can be. Love this one, too!

I chose the same image and used a limited palette of aureolin, ultramarine, and permanent rose watercolors on 8x8 140 lb cold press paper by Master's Touch. First I did a wet in wet underpainting using the 3 colors. When dry, pencil sketched them in then went with what I felt like rather than using local color.

Poppy Path.jpg

Miracles do happen! I actually got started on painting at long last! I got started on the sunset and it's looking good so far even though I didn't have the computer on and open so it's not exact......but I like it so I'll keep going.

Kay and Anne, you've both done wonderfully well with your poppies!

That is wonderful Ellen! Can’t wait to see your painting!
Kay, what a lively wonderful painting! I love how you went with other colors. I think it’s just beautiful. I absolutely love seeing the variety of styles on the same subject! It is fun and inspiring. thank you for explaining the technique as well. I think it’s very effective.
Thank you for kind words re my piece and fall too. 🙂

Back