Scavenger Hunt from Life #9 Jan 13 to Jan 21

Mary: Thanks... Wonderful combo set in digi... love the uke and the sturdy bench.

Triss: Thanks. ... Love the depth and the peeking lime green light and also the white on the road way... just perfect.

Sue: No pressure ... just enjoy what you can do and share...

1, bird - one of my favourite visitors to the garden is the wee wren, Done fairly quickly as I wasn't sure how long she would stay but she held the post for over 5 minutes, Colour pencil in sketchbook - about 4 x 4 inch

wren.jpg

Joan - So peaceful looking. Love how you did the grasses.

Mary - First congratulations on learning to play! Secondly nice digi of the Uke. I have had a guitar for years and recently tried learning but could not get the fingerings for chords. I wanted something musical and saw a recorder on Amazon. We were taught music in grade school using recorders so I got one last week. It has been well over 60 years but the basic scale came back quickly. See my sketch below.

Triss - love the muddy path! Glad you are back posting with us.

Sue - Glad the wren stayed and posed for you.

#1 musical - recorder sketched with .2mm HB in pocket sketchbook.I did not track the time but took longer the it looks sight sizing to get proportions.

278DC31D-A1C8-4F35-890F-BBCDC53AF9C5.jpeg

keep sketching
Joe

Reactions: ams
Joe: Lovely sketch of a musical piece.

Today set was done with ink and inktense pencils on a watercolor sketchbook page
#4 help fixes -- glue stick + eraser
#5 red -- an electric pencil sharper

h9_Red_HelpFixes.jpg

#6 sparks joy -- my glass pebbles and marble collection

h9_sparkJoy.jpg

Sue - Yes, it's definitely muddy boot weather - I think I brought most of the field home with me stuck to mine! Brilliant work with your quick sketch of the wren - the delicacy of your coloured pencils is a beautiful match for the tiny bird.

Joe - Great to see a recorder - Lovely sketch of an under-appreciated instrument! Excellent work getting the proportions and all the details - hope you're enjoying playing.

Ai - Sorry I forgot to congratulate you for finishing last week's hunt you're on a terrific sketching streak! Love your sketches with the Inktense - fab colours, perfect for your glass collection, with wonderful highlights, too.

Thanks all for the comments.

Joan I think this is a favorite of your dunes. Just lovely.

Mary, your grandmother Alice played the ukulele and piano. I gave up on both. Hope you learn another song or two. I like the sketch. Nice finds.

Triss, nice lively landscape. Your strokes always add excitement. Frame this one.

Mary, I'm so lucky that I have beaches so close to me. I don't go long before I go down for a visit, no matter what time of year. Nice job on the uke. I'm not musical at all...I play no instruments, not even poorly.

Triss, thanks. I've missed seeing your fields...super textures!

Ai, thanks.

Sue, most of the time my sketches like this one are about 5 x 7. It's a workable size that doesn't take a long time to do. Sometimes I do work on 8 x 10 paper. Right now since the temperatures are pretty cold I work on the smaller size because I start to get too cold in my car. I don't like to keep the heat running.

Jo, thanks so much. You know it is a favorite subject of mine.

Ai like the confident line work on the glue stick and eraser. Am curious, did you use the same pen on sharpener? The ink on glue stick and eraser looks purplish while the sharpener looks black. The inktense is perfect for the marbles and glass. Nicely shaded and highlighted.

Triss - thanks for the kind words. Am just playing little practice pieces but enjoying it very much. But am thinking if I learn it well enough it will give me confidence to learn the pentatonic scale and learn play pieces on my Native American flutes. I do play my flutes but just ‘doodle’ I cannot play an actual piece of music on them.

Jo & Joan 👋🏼👋

Keep sketching
Joe

Joe, great use of tone on the recorder - it fairly leaps off the page. We were taught recorder in school too and I was ok with anything learnt by rote but beyond that it was clear I had no future as a musician - love listening to it and warbling along to it though :)

Ai, good collection and I love the highlight on the red sharpener. The glass pebbles and marbles are super - I've got a collection in a glass bowl and have them on a cupboard in the hallway = good for running my fingers through as I pass by

Thanks for the size info Joan - they look as though they are bigger sketches somehow with all the texture and detail you get into them

I missed things earlier. Sign of old age.

Sue, the wren is so cute. Nice he stayed for a few minutes. They are busy bodies.

Joe, Your patience paid of in the beautiful sketch of the recorder. Maybe that should be my instrument as well. You can get some musical enjoyment out of it for sure. Great idea and for the find as well.

Ai, wonderful finds and sketching. I like the red sharpener of course. Nice choice of medium, too. Very nice pebbles and marbles.

We went to the Texas Grill for breakfast on our way to do errands. Time to pay property taxes. They are high in Texas since there is no income tax. They have to collect money someplace. Anyway there was a new cup to sketch on my coasters but we were in a rush so the sketch was rushed.

Number 2, something that sparks joy - a cup of coffee in a different mug!

csshfl9joy.jpg

Joan - So peaceful looking. Love how you did the grasses.

Mary - First congratulations on learning to play! Secondly nice digi of the Uke. I have had a guitar for years and recently tried learning but could not get the fingerings for chords. I wanted something musical and saw a recorder on Amazon. We were taught music in grade school using recorders so I got one last week. It has been well over 60 years but the basic scale came back quickly. See my sketch below.

Triss - love the muddy path! Glad you are back posting with us.

Sue - Glad the wren stayed and posed for you.

#1 musical - recorder sketched with .2mm HB in pocket sketchbook.I did not track the time but took longer the it looks sight sizing to get proportions.

View attachment 17254
keep sketching
Joe

Ai ... Am curious, did you use the same pen on sharpener? The ink on glue stick and eraser looks purplish while the sharpener looks black. ...
Joe
Dear Joe, the purplish was 0.4 Staedtler triplus fineliner pen (dry safe). I just got it for my advance BD self treat. It hardly bleeds with water. While the black was Pentel Fude Touch calligraphy pen (super fun to use as it gives you soft tip touch with variety of linewidth ... depend on how you hold the angle and your weight of application). But this one does bleed more with water. I attach my test sample for you below. Enjoy. I highly recommend the Pentel Fude for sketching.... great for calligraphy too.
h9_MyPensInfo.jpg

Dear Joe, the purplish was 0.4 Staedtler triplus fineliner pen (dry safe). I just got it for my advance BD self treat. It hardly bleeds with water. While the black was Pentel Fude Touch calligraphy pen (super fun to use as it gives you soft tip touch with variety of linewidth ... depend on how you hold the angle and your weight of application). But this one does bleed more with water. I attach my test sample for you below. Enjoy. I highly recommend the Pentel Fude for sketching.... great for calligraphy too.
View attachment 17289
Thanks Ai!
Joe

I missed things earlier. Sign of old age.

Sue, the wren is so cute. Nice he stayed for a few minutes. They are busy bodies.

Joe, Your patience paid of in the beautiful sketch of the recorder. Maybe that should be my instrument as well. You can get some musical enjoyment out of it for sure. Great idea and for the find as well.

Ai, wonderful finds and sketching. I like the red sharpener of course. Nice choice of medium, too. Very nice pebbles and marbles.

We went to the Texas Grill for breakfast on our way to do errands. Time to pay property taxes. They are high in Texas since there is no income tax. They have to collect money someplace. Anyway there was a new cup to sketch on my coasters but we were in a rush so the sketch was rushed.

Number 2, something that sparks joy - a cup of coffee in a different mug!

View attachment 17288
Must be Jimmy Buffett Day! I saw this as he was appearing in an episode of Blue Bloods. Nice job especially fir a rush.

Joe

Jo: Thank you ... lovely cuppa sketch ... I love a good simple cuppa too for sparking joy, esp. when taken along with a good partner...

Triss, Joe, Joan, Sue, Mary: Thank you.

173227F1-1750-4849-9B7B-487FB4487CCB.png

Sketch #2 Something Delicate. The new telescope. You have to be so precise with a bunch of dials. Take a minute to set up but so worth it.

Triss- the depth in your landscape is stunning.
Sue- I love your puffy bird, very well done
Joe- your recorder is fantastic, I’m not super musical but it’s fun to try
Ai- your tools are great, and as a lover of sea glass and marbles, your stones spark joy for me especially the texture on the blue rock.
Aunt jo your mug is so fun, great job.

Joe - Great idea to use the recorder to practise for your Native American flutes! I love folk flutes, and whistles, and keyless flutes, but unfortunately don't have the hand size to manage on them well. Hope you make lots of progress.

Jo - Love the coffee mug sketch - fun to get a different design to draw, and the palm trees and parrot look great!

Ai - That purplish ink looks really interesting - nice buy for a new treat!

Mary - Wonderful subject, and love the bold drawing - happy stargazing!

#1a - Another field landscape sketch. Acrylics/oil pastels, A2.
landscapesh2.jpg

Jo, a cuppa is a thing of joy indeed - and that looks to be a joyful cup to have it in

Mary, great scope - lucky you. We have a simple set up in our sun room with binoculars on a tripod for looking at the birds in detail without spooking them , What will you use your new scope for?

Triss, another super field sketch, loving the texture and the directional strikes - they give a real energy

2 Red, Velour throw on back of sofa - I find fabric a real challenge!
3 Pink - Wee flower petals on an enormous begonia - really shouldn't be flowering at this time of the year but obviously likes its spot by the window and valiantly puts out flowers every few weeks to brighten our days :)

SH9 3 4.jpg

4 Fixes + Challenge - I'm not a great fan of stippling, too impatient and usually find my dots become lines and scribble very quickly!

SH9 5.jpg

Mary: Love the telescope sketch ... looks like you are up to seeing exciting things...

Sue: Nice stippling on the hammer, wonderful red fabric and special occasion pink bloom.

Triss: Thanks. That is a mavelous landscape ... so fresh and great depth... I love the vast field it conveys... plus your exciting strokes

Back