Scavenger Hunt from Life #82: Aug 30 - Sep 7

Ai - Nice use of brief moments. What does Tone do while you paint?d

Jo - WOW you got busy! Especially like the bell, book and candle group with single color added. Textures are well done. If your actual temp is 103 what is the feels like number? We get feel like numbers in low hundreds but that is temp in low 90s with high humidity.

Keep sketching
Fletch

is 103 what is the feels like number? We get feel like numbers in low hundreds but that is temp in low 90s with high humidity.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Joe: Thanks... Tone, usually walks around the place, taking picture, or sipping a cuppa nearby, or reading a book, or writing his postcards.

Jo: Yes, that is a great group of sketches you did. Love the 3D effect of your book, the red pen gave it a sing... cute bell. Nice plant and great detail in a thermometer. Talking about your fired bell, now I got emotion just think of the recent fire in Maui. Glad that you and your famaily were safe from your Texas fire years ago ...

Fletch, yes on the feel like temps. 103 is like 108. This week it’s been dry so 103 is 103. But we need rain. Almost as dry as 2011. There have been some small fires. Scary. People still burn and toss out cigarettes.

Ai, yes the Maui fire was about like here in the way it started and went. Dry winds and down power lines. Luckier here that the fire dept just evacuated and fought the fire after. Well no way to fight it in such high winds. “Only” two people killed. One at the beginning and one was evacuated but went back for his tools. 1697 homes burned. So sad for the Maui folks. Heart breaks. So good that we were gone to NM. We got in after 14 days.

Ai - awww hand. I can picture you contorting yourself for your art :) Hope all was well at the health checkup
Joe - yes, agree. Ooooh such a fine candle!
Joan - yes sketchers tend to stay in one spot :)
Jo - oooh long red candle! Aha a weather station. What is that brand? Geevon? Oooh 103F is 39.4C ... that's stupid hot!! Agree with the Maui fires story.

Fletch, I find it hard to sketch things that are so different from what I expect. You did well on the candle.

Ai, you make such good use of a short sketching time. I like the foliage by the canal.

Jo, great sketch of the bell, book and candle. You really showed the carpet texture by the wood leg. Looks like the rain gauge might feel a little left out not measuring anything. Good group! Scary to think of wildfires anywhere. They are so easy to start and then so insanely difficult to fight them especially with the winds. You were really lucky to be away at the time.

I've been sketching a little and working on several projects that are taking up my time. Today I joined the NYC Urban Sketchers at a sketch event in Oyster Bay, a cute town up along the north shore of Long Island...once home to Billy Joel. It was hot so I found a shady spot across from this restaurant. The waiters and the hostess kept coming over to check out the sketch.

5 - entrance to the restaurant - watercolors and ink
6 - smooth glass windows

IMG_3309.jpeg

After lunch I headed over to this old building. Now it is a restaurant but it originally was the summer office of Teddy Roosevelt when he was president.

7 - old building - watercolors and ink

IMG_3312.jpeg

This is part of a commission I'm working on of a boatyard.

8 - wet boats in the water - watercolors
9 - dry boats out of the water

IMG_3313.jpeg

eyepaint, yes we can fry eggs on the sidewalk!

Joan, great views. I love the restaurant with the umbrellas. Interesting about the Roosevelt building. Your commission is fantastic, guess we will see it on your blog when done.

No sketching yesterday, I wonder what I did for fun??

Today I went out on the driveway, sat in a folding chair and sketched while Gene rode his trike. In the BookFactory sketchbook with a Micron 03.
Number 7 entrance - to the garage I intended to show the walk in door and the open garage door but put the right side in first....sigh.
Number 8 hot - the hot dry landscape as I turned from the garage. You can see how dry it is for the wildfires!!

csshfl82entrance.jpg

csshfl82hot.jpg

csoutfront.jpg

Joan - awww lovely brick building
Jo - don't you find that eggs fried on the sidewalk are a bit ... gritty? :) It almost looks like the satellite dish and the gutter downspout are connected. How neatly you park the cars in the garage!

Jo, thank you. I heard it was hot enough to bake bread in the mailboxes. Good sketch of the garage...at least the cars are out of the sun when you get in. All that dry brush worries me. Can I do a rain dance?

EP, thanks. They used a lot of different colored bricks in that building. Glad that the town is into saving the older buildings that have so much charm.

Jo: Well done on the green vegetation, agree with EP that the satellite dish is super cute.

Joan: Thanks. Fabulous scenes of green giant tree, boat dock, old building, and the umbrella outdoor corner.

I did not do any sketching... as two girls are sick with a flu. We took each to hospital on two different days. Tone and I are tired but glad that they got checked out and can rest some more at home.

eyepaint, you made me laugh! Always good!

Joan, yes, please rain dance! Just watched the weather and next 10 days the same. Whew. I like your summer tree, lovely greens. The orangey bricks peeking through gives it pop!

Ai, please take care. Life does get in the way of creativity. Many hugs and best wishes......

Sketched in the bedroom in the Ohuhu book with a Micron 02 and watercolor. Image is about 6 x 8 inches. Some of my fur babies.
csshfl82fur.jpg

Very good feeling to see all the sketching and read the news and comments from you all.

Life is full of necessary chores and most of the easy moments are simply shared with my dear husband. I am pretty sure someday to be able to sketch regularly again, I hope. Still have the hosting duty I can squeeze in when ti!me comes.

Take care and keep sketching!!!!:)

Joan - yay greens in that tree
Jo - yay I'm glad you chuckled. Oh ho lovely stuffed toys

Joan - like how you did the brick effect on the restaurant. Cool story of Roosevelt summer office. Wow! Think the boatyard folks are going to be very happy. The textures and detail are great. Keeping a copy of your tree as I am learning to shade in watercolors.

Jo - Knew you were in a heat wave but did nit realize how bad of a drought you were having too. Nice pen work in both sketches. Love the stuffies, Neat brick effects. You and Joan both have a knack for effects.

EP - With you on gritty eggs. 👋🏽

Robin 👋🏽

#2 book drew an A6 size sketchbook in an A5 size one. Initially did this in graphite. Liked the texture but it was not dark enough so I dug out the Lumograph pencils and went over it to darkened it up and lost most of the texture.

IMG_1946.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Robin, always good to see your smiling face!!

eyepaint, thanks.

Fletch, yes I said something on an email today "All is swell in Texas, well, sweltering and hot! Beautiful clouds today and still 100% No rain expected for the next two weeks at least. And, thanks. The texture on your sketchbook is marvelous. Great sketch. Looks like I could pick it up and use it!

We went for our 6 month check up on skin. Good for another 6 months. Lady in waiting room had on a black straw hat with white ribbon. I lost the white, ha. In the travel sketchbook with the Acurit 03 pen.
Number 10, body part - a few!

csshfl82bodypart.jpg

Jo - even without the white band it is a nice sketch and good use of waiting room time. I have tried that but Sharon seems to feel the necessity to talk when we are waiting but is totally silent in the car other than driving instructions. 😎

Joe: Love your book sketch; you have great hand with graphite works... eventhough you feel you lost some texture, may be you could also take a photo like WIP states... We we can see your ideal texture that you though you have lost it.

Jo: So cool of the lady in the hat sketch.... it is not easy to sketch when we are not in our comfort studio. Glad your check-up result came out OK too.

Two girls are slowly recovering from a flu at home, hope they can be back to school by tomorrow. Regards to all.

Back