Scavenger Hunt from Life #78: July 29 - Aug 6

Joan T

Scavenger Hunt #78: July 29 – Aug 6

The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Scavenger Hunt #78: July 29 – Aug 6

A flower

A tree or a shrub

A gate or fence

A view of a window Challenge: an outside view and a view looking through it

A water view

Something used for gardening

Something used for cooking

Something used for cleaning

Useful

A vehicle

From your kitchen cabinet

From your bathroom

From your car

From your closet

From your bedroom

Blue

Purple

Red

A fruit

A vegetable

Something healthy

A snack or food you enjoy

Crunchy

Squishy

Fragile

Sturdy

Challenge: Do 2 or more items as continuous line drawings.

Jo I posted my drawing/painting of the first time I did the list on your hunt

Hi Paul, Jo, and Jeanne!

Jeanne, I went over to check out your original still life. It is so good!

Our heat wave is continuing today...temps somewhere around 90 with possible thunderstorms. I have an outdoor art/community event to go to and am hoping to sketch a bit while I'm there. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't storm before I have to pick up my painting from the exhibit and those of several friends.

Joan: Thanks for the new list. I wish you great weather to go do your activity.

Goodness - I can't believe I'm first, as I have not drawn from life in a while, and I really need the practice! Here are some overworked sunglasses (couldn't get the highlights correct), a useful item. It is in watercolor, on a Winsor & Newton 5 x 7 140CP sketchbook. I really like cotton paper and will never go back to cellulose again, even for sketching.

IMG_0970.jpeg

Ai, thanks. Heading out shortly and the sun is still out.

Joy, great thinking for a useful item. I like the highlights on the edges of the glasses. I agree about cotton paper. Congrats on having the first sketch.

Ned, glad you've grabbed the list. Happy sketching.

Paul, super job on the gate and the tree!

Joe 1, glad to see you are joining us.

The plein air exhibit was judged and I'm proud to say that my painting won first prize! Yay!! This was my painting. I may have posted it for something in the last hunt.
IMG_2981.jpeg

While I was there I had a little time to sketch.

1 - flower (of course the store moved them indoors before I was actually finished ) - watercolors, ink, and markers

IMG_3035.jpeg

This may look slightly familiar. I sketched it the other day from the other direction.
2 - view of many windows - direct watercolor
3 - tree
4 - useful (clock)

IMG_3038.jpeg

Oh, Joan! Congratulations on the well deserved win! Approximately how long did this take? What size? Love the fresh shadows.

Take my "likes" instead of my comments during this hunt because I type like a man with 1 thumb on this tablet...

#1 water scene, Bainbridge Island, Washington.
IMG_1619b.jpg

& a snapshot:
IMG_1610b.jpg

#2 continuous line trees w/ inkwash: starts on "H", ends above shrub on right...
IMG_1618b.jpg

snap:
IMG_1615b.jpg

Last edited:
Joan - thanks for the new list. Love the window panes behind the bouquets
Joy - fun tortoiseshell frame on those glasses
Paul - fun ink scribble trees.
Ned - Ooooh I thought those looked like Washington State Ferries! Yay! Great job :)

Joan: congratulations!.... Well deserved ... thanks.... nice finds and great painting!

Ned: Well done for continuous lines really like the Bainbridge Island sketch.

#3. Fruit --- avocado pen and ink watercolor wash

Avocado.jpg

Good morning everyone!

Joy, thanks. My winning painting is 8 x 10. I worked on it for about an hour on 3 different days. When the light changed too much I stopped and went back at the same time the next day.

Ned, I love your continuous line trees! Good sketch of Bainbridge Island's waterfront. I've never been up there so it is nice to see it.

EP, good to see ya!

Paul, nicely done on the avocado. They make nice subjects if you can sketch them before you eat them or before they start to turn brown. (That's usually the state mine are heading for. lol)

Joan, thanks for hosting with nice list .

Got to see you J, EP, Joy -glad you got to sketch for a while Thanks for the material tip.

pWonderful art from all

Jeanne, oh, thank you so much. wetcanvas doesn't have many of the Hunts still online and I couldn't find this "all items" Hunt. I did find my sketches on my blog. I don't think I did it the very first time. Maybe???

Joan, hi there. Hope the heat and weather is good for you today! Seems to be hot all over our beautiful nation. Congrats on your prize!! Beautiful painting, just the way I like your work! Funny that the flowers moved, usually pretty stationary. Pretty. I also like your second view of the clock. So welcoming, would love to sit there.

Joy, wow on the sunglasses. Love the colors, retro to me. Good to be first@

Paul, very neat texture lines on your trees and gate! Love it. The avocado is super. I usually eat one before I get it sketched.

Ned great sketch of a complicated scene with the ferries. The continuous line trees is amazing. Fun to see photos, too.

Hi, eyepaint!

Hi Robin!

I did this yesterday and wrote what is below and didn't hit send. Sigh.....

It was cool on the porch for an hour or so. I sketched with pencil and watercolor markers. You can see the paper was too dry for the sky to blend and it says not to put the markers in water so I'm careful with them.
Number 1, flower - the geraniums are so skimpy, I added some blooms, then got them to evenly spaced, not looking like from life. I don't sketch this pot much as it is close to my chair and I had to sit on the glider to sketch it.

csshfl78flower.jpg

Back