Scavenger Hunt from Life#46: Nov 15-23, 2022

Sylwia - lovely softness in your plant and thank you. Oooh that second plant looks like an orchid? with aerial roots? Lovely sweets.
joe1lt - thank you. Good job on the sweets.
ntl - thank you. I always enjoy your pagefull of sketches. So many lamps!
Joan - thank you. Cool lamppost with poster and clock. Love the bells in your Pine Fir Spruce still life bouquet. Yay cast shadows by the trees on the road.
Ai - wonderful marks in your onion with cast shadow. Love you used dry media for that sketch but wet media for your trio of bell peppers. And thank you. Mmm love the food chopstick and desserts ... plus the splashes of pigment :) What a lovely view at the gas station rest area! Cute dangling bells on your cabin patio. Wow check out all those leaves! Love the serene views you find with all those coloured tassels. And thank you
Jo - thank you. Sorry about the broken tooth (super crunchy peanut butter? That caused some people I know to break teeth...) but how lovely they could address it in one afternoon.
Robin - thank you. Cool circle chair. Is that a blanket ready for use when snuggling in the chair? Love the colours in your wooden table and chairs sketch. Is that a chocolate bar containing (shudder) humans (shudder)? Oh, phew, I looked it up and it's the brand Hu. There seems to be a limited edition Winter collection with pumpkin spice, gingerbread, crunchy mint and hazelnut butter ... Mmmm Do you buy this online? Thank you. Cute table legs below your plants
Joe - thank you. How did you manage to get 838 hours in the day? Unless it was 8:38am for your sketch ... yes that would make more sense ... Thank you again. Fun item for "used often" :)

Ai, thank you. Nice sketch of the foliage at the rest area. Lovely view of the mountain by your property. Nice collection of fruit and leaf collections. The last sketch from the cafe makes it look like such a relaxing place.

Jo, many thanks. Enjoy your travels.

Sylwia, thank you. Your fruit looks great...am in awe of that attached leaf!

Joe, thanks for your comment. Bet that apple is nice and crisp! Never used an egg cooker like that one...interesting. Good idea for wants more of and used regularly. lol

Robin, nice interior sketch. The dark chocolate with cashew butter sounds so good! Nice refreshing sketch of your table and items

EP, good neat sketches! You are very precise. My erasers never stay clean...and I wear them out before the pencil itself. Thanks for your comments!

I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art today with the NYC Urban Sketchers.

7 - person - watercolor pencils & ink
8 - stone sculpture

IMG_1315.jpeg

9 - want more of this (time to sketch inside museums) - watercolor pencils

IMG_1312.jpeg

Thank you EP and Joan.

The sketch at the cafe with umbrella was not at my property... The place is about 4 miles away from my humble cabin.

Joan: Thank you. The mountain view was at a small food shop 10 miles away from my cabin. We like to stop there to eat. Very nice sketches from the Met. I like how you get both the sculpture and the viewer. Cool !!! Love your "Want more of this"... wish you more time at the Met to sketch...

@Robin Gillis I like that your drawing spread over both sides of the sketchbook.

@Joan T I love visiting museums as well. Nice shading on the Perseus sculpture.
Egg in microwave takes 50 seconds. Break the egg in the cooker. Poke the yolk with a fork. Close the lid then pop in microwave top and 50 second later…ready
Thank you for clarifying, Joe. I'm using my microwave only for popcorn. Brilliant idea for using regular. :)

We came back to Bangkok yesterday evening. Today I went out to a sketching trip with my buddies from BangkokSketchers group. We met at the Artist House along a canal in a suburb of Bangkok. The host arranged to have a Thai classical dancer did a short Thai classical dance session and post for us for a short while. Both sketches were done in directwatercolor.

#11 person -- the lady Thai classical dancer ... the pagoda behind the dancer belongs to the temple nearby

h46_Nov20_2022_Person_A.jpg

h46_Nov20_2022_Person_b.jpg

#12 hardly used -- I should have visited the Artist House, a community art studio/gallery/cafe more often as it is not far from my house.

h46_Nov20_2022_HardlyUsed_a.jpg

The picture below was the view I was trying to paint....

h46_Nov20_2022_HardlyUsed_b.jpg

Such wonderful sketches. We spent the first night in Texas. Takes about 10 hours to drive from Bastrop to El Paso. Then another 5 hours to Sierra Vista in Arizona. Happy sketching all.

Ai - Glad I made you smile Thank you for once again sharing a piece of your culture through your art. Think I would want to live at the Art House just fir all the plants and flowers.

EP - yup 8:38 am.

Joan - great shading on the statue. Do wonder a little what the guy was photographing stand so close the the statue. Ditto on shading in the interior view.

Sylwia - the cooked egg comes out round and flat. Perfect to put on an English Muffin with a slice of Canadian Bacon and a slice of American cheese. 😎
Great collection of rocks and stones. Excellent drawing. Rocks are really Mwell done. Love your backgrounds.

jo - Safe trip home.

#5 leaf - Pulmeria / Frangipani. Again in pocket sketchbook but was an experiment with a set of Sharpie fine line pens I have had for years and never used. Did not come out as I imaged. Colors did not blend as I expected.

3ACC5EBC-5FEA-4FAE-8443-1F610DB19C50.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Ep- I fund te best deal on the Hu chocolate bars at Walmart . It is avaliable at regular grocery store and on line health food - iherb.com.

lovely work ya’ll.....keep sketching

Thank you everyone for your kind support on my sketches.

Joe: Nice leaves

Robin: Wonderful orchid with yummy background

I did a quick wc directwater sketch of a fern near my Univ. cafe stall before I started my workday.

#4b Plant ... or a type of a tropical big leaf fern

h46_plant_c.jpg

Ai, thanks so much. Every time I walk through the American Wing at the Met I think of the day we were there sketching. How great that you had a Thai dancer pose for you. You should make more use of the Artists Cafe. It looks like such an interesting place to sketch!

Sylwia, thanks! Nice sketch of your overlapping stones. Nice to have a collection around for when you need them. I have a box of "outdoor treasures."

Jo, thanks for checking in with us so we can map your trip. How long will you be gone?

Joe, you know men with their cameras. lol Thanks for the chuckle.

Robin, nice sketch of the orchid!!! Gives a definite tropical feel.

I didn't get any sketching done yesterday. I was at a memorial for a friend who passed away from our NYC Urban Sketchers group. It was a wonderful tribute to him and probably the first time that our group has ever been together and not sketched...although Lewis would have loved it if we had sketched. I went out this afternoon to sketch only to find out I didn't have my palette (just my pens and watercolor pencils) and no water either. lol I need to activate the pencils and I'll post it later.

the cooked egg comes out round and flat. Perfect to put on an English Muffin with a slice of Canadian Bacon and a slice of American cheese. 😎
Sound like perfect breakfast :)

@AiArts – Lovely sketch of Thai Dancer. I like that you paint the pagoda in the background too, and the bright colours in Artist House sketch. Nice shading on big leaf fern.

@jmfletch – Very nice experiment with Sharpies. Maybe the colours will blend better on another paper.
@Robin Gillis – superb background and orchid drawing.

I guess if I don't press the "post reply" my post won't show up here. I had all good intentions of posting it yesterday. lol

The watercolor pencils in this sketchbook were just too light in tone, so I added regular watercolors at home.
10 - building
11 - used regularly (chairs outside the coffee place)

IMG_1325.jpeg

I was getting my post ready for the next hunt and as I composed it I realized looking at the description that Jaime Williams Grossman had started the hunts on Wet Canvas. I have been following her online for probably about 20+ years. She lives in New York State and we tried to get together a few times but it never worked out. Then she moved farther north in NY. I know she is still active with a few art groups and attended something the NYC Urban Sketchers Westchester Group was involved in recently. Of course I wasn't there and missed her again. Anyway, on Sunday when I went to the memorial for my friend I heard someone mention her name and I asked that person if she was at the memorial...and she was. We finally got to meet in person after so long! Our paths finally crossed!!

Joan I just mimicked you. I wrote the reply to Sylwia early this morning but never hit Poet Reply.😂. Nice work on coffee shop. Especially like how you did the windows.

Joe1 nice digi. Like how you rendered the cellophane.

Keep sketching
Joe

Back