Scavenger Hunt from Life #4, Dec4 - Dec 12

thank you all for the nice words

Joan, Sue, I'm sorry about the eye problem, I hope you will be well soon.
Robin, very nice and funny drawing.

Jo, it's a great drawing, you have captured a beautiful scene, postcard.
Ams, great work on everyone, and the plush one is very nice and fun.

Maryknos, nice dog, beautiful portrait.

Joan, it's all great,
wonderful landscapes, figures, cars, fantastic scenes and postcards, and very nice Santa Claus. it would be spectacular postcard.
Vivien, very nice drawings.

Triss, very nice and fun job.
Ai, very nice scenery, nice work

Missed the last hunt and most of this one.
Some spectacular art work you all have been posting and in virtually every medium.

#1 a soft toy - Christmas penguin stuffy. Full page using color pencil in 3.5x5.5 mini sketchbook. Took awhile as when I thought it was finished it needed to be burnished,
DA6654BC-94F8-4C27-A31F-8E689C056284.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited:
There have been some busy beavers here.

Vivien, cute little sketches. I especially like the angel.

Triss, love your stuffed toy. Great choice of a paper too. It compliments the painting.

Joan, wonderful watercolor and ink sketches. I had a chuckle with the pyramid too. I hope you get your eye checked out. If it's a cataract you can get the procedure whenever you decide but if it is something else like an infection, it should be taken care of right away. My husband had an infection picked up when we went for our annual checkup and his vision has improved since he started the treatment.

Ai, very nice landscape.

Joe (jmfletch), cute this penguin. Little stuffed toys are lots of fun to draw.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I love the shading stage of any painting or drawing that I do so. It just seems to come to life when I do that step. The water-soluble graphite lets me do a quick sketch and then concentrate on that.

Joan: Hope you get your eye checked out soon. Cataract is not as scary as you think but glaucoma can be more serious ... I had my eye Lasik surgery long time ago and have been labeled a risk group of glaucoma. My prayer goes to you.

Oh, Ai, have fun at the cabin. Spectacular landscape, beautiful. Thanks for taking us around your country and world.

Sue, hope you get your eye repaired soon. I had cataracts fixed way back in the early nineties. So much easier now. Wishing you the best. My vision has been great!

joe1lt, thanks so much.

Joe, awww, love the penguin. Happy to see you here sketching. You have patience.

Hi Anne and everyone else.

A milestone. I did the last sketch in the big coffee table book with the Sharpie Pen. My daughter gave the book to me 5 years ago for Christmas. She said I could finish it in a couple of years and give it back to her. It weighs about 12 pounds and has 300 pages a bit larger than typing paper size. So five years of sketches. Most are from the Scavenger Hunts. I took it with us to New Mexico so it has a few items from other houses. I have two watercolors in it but the rest are mostly ink and some colored pencil and regular pencil. I left a couple of pages for entry. Yay!
Number 8, soft toy
Number 9 can, pepper can, not many of those around
Number 10 favorite art tool, the Micron 02 (today, most times pastels are my favorite)
Number 11 iron - a Dutch oven that belonged to my mother-in-law. Too bad the perspective is off, I got in a hurry! Ha.

csshfl4soft-toy.jpg

Cross posted with joe1lt and Ai.

joe1lt, oh, love the scribbley figures. Always fun to do favorite items.

Ai, yep, take care of the eyes. So important.

Sue, Joan, & Ai - Hope you're all able to get the right treatments for your eye issues. I have altered vision through eye problems, it's one of the things that makes me more interested in people painting things from life as they see them, rather than from photos.

Joan - Love all the details in your building sketch, and brilliant job with the christmas hat (I can never seem to find anything triangular in the house - there must be something, somewhere!).

Ai - Beautiful watercolour from your trip to your cabin, love the view and the double-page format - and it's so interesting to see your local landscapes.

Joe - Glad you had time to join in with your wonderfully cute penguin - love the coloured pencil shading! I got some new pencils this week - Pitt graphite matt - wondering if you've tried them, or similar matte graphite? I'm finding it quite weird to use!

Joe1 - Wonderful scribble Eeyores - I love them! (particularly the white pen one).

Jo - Great sketch, & fab shading on all the items, love the fluffy stuffed toy scribble texture. And congratulations on finishing the big book! I'm sure your daughter will love looking through it.

#1d - Pair. Still messing about trying to pick colours across different media for my preferred limited palette (dull yellow, dull red, dull blue - I'm fond of dull colours!). Acrylic, Artgraf, oil pastels, A2.

#5 - Animal. Scribble dog. I do lots of scribbly drawings like this where I just try to keep marks moving on the paper. Wax crayons, A3.

paircs3.jpg

scribbledog.jpg

Thanks all for your kind comments. Now, 33 hours later, we are back to our Bangkok home ... :)

Sue: Wish you the best for your eye surgery. My prayers go your way.

Joe1: Cool figurine... in multiple views. Fantastic scribble sketches... this is inspiring.

Joe: Fantastic happy penguin sketch, perfect for the holiday.

Jo: Congratulations on the milestone of finishing such a big sketch book. Your daughter will have a special art gift from you. Love your combo with micron pen, bucket, iron cook pot, and lovely soft toy.

Triss: Fantastic pairs as always. You have such impressive strokes... and the color combo works so well. The pooch sketch is beautifully delicate.

Last edited:
Ok, last ditch attempt at getting something done in this hunt, Tried out some Graphitint pencils for first time, Not sure that I like them that much and it certainly wasn't successful putting water on them - or on the generic sketch book paper either. However, it is what it is and as I'm working on convincing myself that not everything has to become a finished piece and all attempts bring some learning here it is.

1, Chaotic - garden pots haphazardly stacked on shelves
2, Shelves - sub for building as it is a set of old bookcases we have fixed to the shed for plant display/storage
3, Animal - it's the wee stray boy again. He has several cosy 'homes' around our garden but currently chooses to settle here. A cat knows his own mind and will not be swayed by us humans :D

kit on shelves.jpg

Anne, Ai, Viv, Jo, Joe1 and Triss Thanks for kind encouraging words.

Joe1 - the way you sketch and fill a page always reminds me of the sketchbooks you see of the Master’s. Eeyore and Mickey always earn a smile. Nice studies.

Jo - What is it? Over 5 years? Deserves a drum roll with a flourish! Nice pen work as always. Pen and pastel are so different but you do both. Do you see any carry over in techniques between them?

Triss - really interesting how you mix media. The ‘pair’ is well done. The dog is just so adorable and fun. You had to have enjoyed doing that.

Sue - I had cataract surgery years ago. The procedure is very quick and painless.
The worst part was all the drops for a few weeks after. The best part is seeing all the colors you have been missing!
Not sure what I enjoy more your art or your words. Keep ’em coming!

#2 Made of glass - miniature scented candle. Graphite, color pencil and few strokes of ink in 3.5x5.5 in sketchbook.

C7ECE197-9FC9-4EB1-928B-772A5CAADD03.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Attachments

• 28B96723-60D6-4F1A-981B-63F6F75BECEE.jpeg
    28B96723-60D6-4F1A-981B-63F6F75BECEE.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 109
Joe1, nice sketches and scribbles.

Jo, congratulations on filling your big coffee table book. What a lovely finish and an amazing body of work. I can just imagine how much fun that would be to browse through it and remember all of the sketches you have done in the past 5 years.

Triss, interesting way to play around with different palettes. They all have been great but have different feels. Your scribble dog looks like he was fun to do.

Sue, glad you were able to get a sketch in this week. I have been experimenting with watercolor pencils too and have discovered that the paper choice plays a major role in the end result. I like the composition and collection of scavenger hunt items. I can see it may have come out a little softer than you anticipated. I have had results like this if the paper was soft and absorbent.

Joe F., nice little jar.

I decided to experiment with adding some color to my water-soluble pencil I have been playing with. All of these are Derwent Watercolour Pencils over ink+water-soluble graphite in a 4"x6" Stillman & Birn alpha sketchbook. I have ordered a slightly larger one since I'm doing more sketching now. The 4"x6" is a liitle too small for me.

SH 4-10 Watering can
SH 4-11 Leaves

SH4-10 Watering Can.jpg
SH4-11 Leaf.jpg

I also played around with adding color to a couple I did earlier.

SH4-8b Building.jpg
SH4-9b Soft Toy.jpg

Sue - Love the sketch of your plant shelves and the bonus cat! Sketches definitely don't have to be finished masterpieces for this thread, and you're absolutely right about learning from all attempts. Don't get disheartened about the Graphitint - I've used it for ages and loads of my efforts with it are still rubbish - but, try it on some different paper, because one of the things I find most interesting about it is the great granulation it can produce.

Joe - Love the colour and texture on your candle sketch, interesting combination of materials and lovely effect.

ams - Beautiful, subtle result with the watercolour pencils over the graphite, great drawing of the watering can, and the delicacy of the leaf is perfect. Love the bonus colours on the extra sketches, particularly the bear!

I did this about 8 min. on my android mobile phone (Samsung note 10s with a stylus pen) during a short rest stop at a roadside cafe from our cabin.

#8 fragile -- on old horse drawn carriage used as a prop for a cafe.

h4_fragile_a.jpg

h4_fragile_b.jpg

Anne: What a lovely set, esp. the red barn and the watering can... inspiring

Joe: Very nice sketch of a glass jar of candle... I wish I could smell it.

Ai - Brilliant fast & loose carriage - fabulous lines! Love all these cool items you find on your trips.

#6/#1e - Something you like. Blue mugs & coffee/(with apples). Another scribble sketch for Joe1's challenge. Wax crayons, A3.

scribblemug.jpg

Back