Scavenger Hunt from Life #35: August 10 - 18

jmfletch

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required

Scavenger Hunt from Life August 10 - 18:

Auto
Banjo or anything musical
Can
Dwelling
Edge
Fancy
Glove
Hole
Input
Jello
Key
Label
Medal
Nerdy
Older
Phone
Queen
Razor
Smooth
Treat
Unit of ?
Violet
Wind up (anything you have to wind up)
Xebec or any boat/ship
Yardstick
Zigzag

Challenge: use 2 or more associations. List your associations.
Example: label - package - present - bow.
Then draw a bow and list the 3 associations

Keep sketching
Joe

Thanks for the new list, Joe. You know I would go for this one.

1 - boats - direct watercolor

IMG_0546.jpeg

Great sketch, Joan. I knew you would like that. I actually saw two small boats today. One at a storage place, sort of an ad and one in someone's yard. Maybe I can get one of those or actually go to our big lake a couple of miles away!

Joan - Nice job! Not quite sure how you did it but like the sense of movement you created with the masts. There is a feeling of sway to them.

jo - no fisherman out on the pond? You could use association. Xebec (boat) - Navy - Marines - Air Force - Gene!

My course is charcoal at moment so may try to do a cross over by doing a charcoal drawing from life.

Keep sketching
joe

Joan: Wow za.... great scene, well captured.... now I wanna move near you...

Joe, Jo, Terri, EP, Joe1 and all: Howdy !!!
:giggle:

love your boats Joan T! I also love the list but don't know yet what it means for sure or what a "prompt" really is though I looked it up in google translations ^^. this is a very quick one in oils on canvas, I leave at the water (Old Danube River in Vienna, Austria) and it is often quiet and romantic here ... I sketched them from life and finished them in the studio, adjusting the rather not-so-interesting brown boat in the foreground to a bright red color. looking forward to seeing many other paintings!!!!

Attachments

• boats.jpg
    boats.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 82
Jo, thanks. I hope you get near one of the boats to sketch it.

Joe, that sway of the masts is my unsteady hand. lol I love looking at the masts and realizing they don't actually line up parallel to each other. Different sections of the water tilt the boats differently.:)

Ai, thanks. I'll switch places with you for a while. You can sketch Long Island boats and I can sketch the Thai boats.

Andy, thanks so much and welcome. Love your boats and the depth you created with the back boat. Great job!

Andy, gosh the boats are beautiful. Lovely work. Welcome to the Hunt!

Joan, ha. Lazy me, we will see if I go boat hunting.

Joe, I don't do well with the association. It is hard enough to just think of something to paint. Ha.

Joan, your sketches are super. I like the blue house and flag. The sailboats are full of movement and fun. The marina shop is wonderful and so full of "stuff". Have a good weekend all y'all.

Confessions: I have a lot of oil paints. I got some for cheap on surplus, and I got some at an estate sale, and I have friends/acquaintances who really, really want me to learn oils. And I have some sort of mental block. I don't know why. I jump at new-to-me media usually.

Anyway, I decided I'd use the scavenger hunts to learn oils, and I bought a bunch of dollar store canvases and essentially disposable brushes to learn with.

. . . and then you didn't see me anymore on the scavenger hunts. Hm.

Last edited:
Joan: Gorgeous painting...love all the beautiful vibrant scenes.
Andy: Lovely boat... Welcome to the Hunt.
Joe1: Nice free simple lines
Jo: Love your guitar sketch...

#1 treat ... done with fine line Sharpie pens.
h35_treat.jpg

Back