Scavenger Hunt from Life #32: July 17 - July 25

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required

allergy causing
butter dish
childhood
double
empty container
footwear
garlic
hammer
instrument
jagged
key
light
mushroom
nozzle
open book
plastic
quartz
red
solid
turnip (vegetable)
untidy
vacuum
white
x-acto knife
yogurt
zesty

Challenge is do several items in alphabetical order.

Have fun.

How can it be time for a new hunt?!? 😆 Boy, does the time fly!

Thanks for this fun new list, Jo!

Here is a page of sketches, done in alphabetical order :)
5x8" page, ink and marker.

1. allergy relieving - insect bite healer (https://www.beurer.com/web/gb/products/medical/insect-bite-healer/br-60.php) - I have had it for two weeks and wow is it helpful!! Neutralizes the itch from mosquito bites!
2. margarine tub (butter dish)
3. childhood (bubbles)
4. double - two "vintage" punch glasses
5. empty container - glass jar from recycling

hunt32-01a.jpg

Here's a photo of the punch glasses and zapper.

hunt32-01c.jpg

Cheers,

EP: Great set of sketches to start this Hunt ... Cute bubble blowing tool... my kids used to play with that. Nice double deck glass jar.

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required

allergy causing
butter dish
childhood
double
empty container
footwear
garlic
hammer
instrument
jagged
key
light
mushroom
nozzle
open book
plastic
quartz
red
solid
turnip (vegetable)
untidy
vacuum
white
x-acto knife
yogurt
zesty

Challenge is do several items in alphabetical order.

Have fun.
Love the new list. The weather is perfect for sitting outside, once it passes 10.30am that is 😉

Thanks for creative list jo.

EP - Bubble maker is neat as are the punch cups. Nicely done. To me markers are like drawing in ink. No way to erase!😲

keep sketching
Joe

Last edited:
EP, good to see you jump right in with some sketches. Love the bubble maker and those cool vintage punch cups. Does anyone use things like that any more??? How does the bug zapper work? It looks portable.

I hope everyone is staying cool. I've been seeing reports about the outrageously hot temperatures in so many places. It is damp and rainy here today (we need it), but the rest of the week is supposed to be in the 90s. Can't really complain since there are so many places in the triple digits including places like London where air conditioning is rare. Stay well, everyone!

Ai, Joe, and Joan - thank you

Joan - it uses heat to neutralize the itchy skeeter saliva that it injects into your skin. Apparently you can get a similar effect from heating a spoon or (wet?) piece of paper towel (microwave) and applying that to your bite. This item at least reliably delivers a consistent temperature. By the way I think those punch cups have not been used since at least the 1970s. Why I keep them around, I don't know ....

Hi everyone.

EP, interesting allergy thingy. I always wash with hot soapy water and that helps so see the connection. How fun to have bubbles! Nice lines and ellipses. Looks like you are saving cups like me!!!

JennieJo, we are the opposite, any outside sitting is before 10:00 am. Ha. It is 102 degrees F at the moment.

I sketched out my window with watercolors. Sort of did a pencil sketch first. The paper is about 9 x 12 inches.
Number 1, allergy - causes it for lots of folks, cedar trees

csshfl32allergy.jpg

By the way I think those punch cups have not been used since at least the 1970s. Why I keep them around, I don't know ....
We got a houseful of stuff like that! Boxes in attic that have not been opened in. 20 years 😂🤣😂

jo - Nice job with wc. Like how the tree trunk pops out, You mix the greens or are they paint colors?

Keep sketching
Joe

Joe asked: Nice job with wc. Like how the tree trunk pops out, You mix the greens or are they paint colors?

I mix anything, several greens and add yellow or blue or orange. You know me. Impatient. I made a color grid with the colors I have (not the right word) but squares with the colors mixed with each other so you know what you get with all. I never know where it is and it would take longer to look it up than to just try something. Ha. You need to talk to Joan or Ai for expertise in mixing. I also have all different brands together.

I sketched in the travel sketchbook so I could add a little watercolor. I sketched with the Micron02. So far still in alphabetical order.
Number 2, butter dish
Number 3, childhood - a stuffed elephant I had as a kid
csshfl32butter.jpg

Sigh. I never really mean to drop off the face of the earth. Just happens.

Thanks for the new list, Jo. Maybe I can do some sketches this hunt.

Edited to add:
EP, cool "double"
Ai, JennieJo, Joe, Joan, hello.
Jo, beautiful cedar. Cute elephant.

Last edited:
Angela! Welcome Home.😁

jo - Like the splashes of color you are adding. Are you in triple digit heat? News says most of Texas is.

keep sketching
Joe

Reactions: amo
Hi everyone, I sketched and will post later.

Angela, great to see you.

Joe, yes we are in triple digits. We have been very close or in them for over a month. Usually don't see these temps until mid August. Last year we only had about 15 days of triples, they expect 90 or more days this year. Similar to 2011 when we had the big fire. Luckily so far only small fires. They can start when someone pulls off the highway over the dry grass, tosses a cigarette, mows the lawn, etc. Crazy...

#1 sub. double with two of half avocado, done in Pentel OP

h32_double.jpg

Last edited:
Jo: Super allergy tree. Adorable elephant doll... nice butter dish.

Angela, Joan, Joe, Joe1, EP, Terry and all: Hi.

Back