Scavenger Hunt from Life #23 - May 6 - 14

First thing I hear in morning
in front yard
bookshelf
36172EC7-5032-4056-8EC7-AC7732EBA96F.jpeg
6FB8C61E-6BA8-4E14-97FD-8411DE03ACAE.jpeg
648E94CC-BA24-4F26-BD8F-2512FB55E93D.jpeg

Jo, thanks. I'd like to do a more detailed piece with that cottonwood in particular. I've seen it a few times full of crows (or starlings or ravens, some kind of black birds), and it seems particularly emblematic of the "desert West" to me. It snowed here yesterday, so I'm a little envious of your 90 degree weather. Nice outdoor sketch. Your corner sketch is inspiring and inviting!

Ai, thanks. The surgery went well; he's probably going to be discharged today. Thanks for the good wishes.

Sue, thanks. I googled it myself to see what you would find, and I guess I should clarify it's a Fremont cottonwood. Some other varieties look quite different. What a cute figurine!

RobinSusan, thanks. Fun sketches; I like the feeling of your detailed lines.

I don't have art for the hunt to share today, but I did a blog post with progress photos from the apple pastel painting I posted last hunt. I thought some of you might be interested. There's quite a gap between the next-to-last picture and the last one. I got wrapped up in what I was doing and forgot to take any more pictures. Link: Crayola Oil Pastels, Who Knew?

Thanks, all.

Robin, fun sketches on the pages. Clever first thing in the morning. I like the lamp shade/lamp. The yard, is that a birdhouse? Fun bookshelf.

Angela, you sound like me in your WIP. I always forget to take the photos. I'm looking at your blog now. You did well with your photos. That is a great apple.

I sketched in the 5.5 x 5.8 inch travel sketchbook. Mix media. I was thinking I might color them, but no... I sketched with a Zig Millennium 05 pen.
Number 6 parking lot - we walked across the lake to the playground by the fire station. The pickup left just as I finished, whew!
Number 7, skyline - the trees and houses across the lake.

csshfl23parking-lot.jpg

csshfl23skyline.jpg

Jo, thanks! I like your swirly lines to suggest trees and foliage.

#5 - one of the first things you hear in the morning. It's not detailed much in the sketch, but that triangular shaped thing behind the blades is supposed to hold oil, but I guess there's not any in there. It squeaks.
5.5x8.25 inch sketchbook, graphite, 15 minutes.
20220511_183123 (Small).jpg

You ladies have been busy....

Ai, thanks. I couldn't resist including the outhouse on the construction site. lol

Angela, thank you. Sounds like you got a few good art supplies for your early birthday celebration. It is fun to start celebrating early and just keep on doing it. lol The 3 types of oil pastels make a cute still life. I'm glad to hear that you got good news from the surgeon and the patient is home. Worrying is not good. Your tree looks like it is dancing. Thanks for the progress photos of the apple painting. That came out really nice. I'll have to try baby oil for blending the ops. I never heard of using that. I'll have to play around a little. Of course I'll probably look for my baby oil and never find it either.

Robin, I like your staggered storage unit in the corner done in that FUN green ink! Clever thinking for what you hear first in the morning. Nice little bookshelf. Is that the same lamp as in the other sketch?

Terri, nicel elegance to the chair leg and your lamp.

Jo, thanks. I didn't try the food at the Chinese restaurant, but wanted to. lol I like the sketch done with the markers..so colorful and upbeat! Nice view of the corner of the studio and I see you went out walking and sketched too.

Sue, nice leg and grain on the coffee table. Cute figurine! That looks like a fun festival. I haven't been to a musical anything in so long.

5 - made of wood (display tables at the nursery) - watercolors and ink
6 - skyline
IMG_0004.jpeg

7 - found in my friend, Pat's backyard - direct watercolors ( Our sketch group's theme tonight was flowers and Pat brought lilacs from her yard. They smelled heavenly and were fun to sketch. I brought a piece home.)
IMG_0006.jpeg

I met up my dear friend for lunch, and the restaurant has wonderful mural of our late King Bhumibol. I got there 10 minutes before my friend arrived so I quickly sketched the scene (well I don't know how to sketch the whole delicate big mural anyway).

#6 corner of room -- or partial of the corner of the restaurant room scene, done by directwatercolor
h23_cornerRoom_a.jpg

h23_cornerRoom_b.jpg

Ai, I think you would have to be there longer than just for lunch to sketch the whole mural. lol Love the keys on the piano...just enough for the viewer to see and then fill in the other details. Your box of donuts looks delicious.

8 - interior dashboard of the car - ink (I forgot to include the directional signal.)
IMG_0016.jpeg

9 - free space - watercolors and ink (I found another construction site.)
IMG_0014.jpeg

10 - house - watercolors
IMG_0011.jpeg

Thanks so much Joan, and Joe1.

Joan:
Your spring plein aire is so gorgeous. The construction site is amazing piece. Love your car dashboard too. What are you driving, Nissan pathfinder ?

Hi, you all did a beautiful job. I drew the cover is an image of the last book I bought, a year ago or more, a book, collections of drawings by Gary larson. I knew him little, discovered in recent years, I like it, it's brilliant. I haven't read the whole book for the language yet, but it's funny and some time before I had taken another of his books that I had read better.
Image in advertising flier or magazine

2022-05-13 18-15.jpeg

Angela, adore the windmill. So nostalgic for me. So important in our ranch life in New Mexico.

Joan, super nursery painting. The lilacs are nostalgic as well. We had them in New Mexico and Colorado. Too hot here. Thanks for the memories, you two. The dash is also well done with just lines. You do that so well. Construction is a finished painting with so much fun detail. The tile roof house seems different for New York.

Ai, yep, very complicated mural for a lunch sketch. You did well. The piano is amazing and donuts are my favorite thing that I try to avoid! Good to have some virtual ones!

EP, I like your corner of the room. Cool stuff.

joe1lt, I can only imagine interpreting Farside. It is far out in English!! Good for you for working on that. Made me laugh to think of the struggle to make them funny. I like the cars, too.

I sketched on the iPad on the porch this morning with the app "Brushes" and the Apple pencil. My numbers may be off but at least I sketched...

Number 8 leg of inanimate object. The slider/seat on the porch with the metal brace so it can swing or slide back and forth.
Number 9, unusual shadow - in the guest shower, the straight bar makes a loop in the shadow. I just noticed that, I usually have the shower curtain closed.

csshfl23leg.jpg
shfl23shadow.jpg

photo-shadow.jpg

Ai, I am driving a Nissan Sentra. It would be nice to have a Pathfinder because the seating is up higher, but with my short legs they are too hard to climb in and out of. lol Besides, I don't think one would fit in my garage. Thanks for your comment.

EP, nice job on the corner of the room with the computer setup! Hope you don't need those two books as references much.

Joe 1, yes, Gary Larson's cartoons are pretty funny. You did a nice job on the book cover.

Nothing new yet from me yet today. I spent a good part of the day with my SIL helping her do a few things. She had a car accident and is a little banged up. She had an appointment with the orthopedist and then I ran errands for her. Luckily she only has two minor fractures in her pelvis. It could have been a lot worse. She can get around a bit inside with crutches, but can't really walk too much. Like me she is stubborn and wants to do everything herself. lol

Thanks all for your kind comments of my sketches.

EP: Love your super creative corner sketch.

Joe1: Love your Farside Story sketch too. We have some copies of that here.

Jo: Wonderful digi of the shower corner with unusual shadow. Nice virtual legs.

Joan: My good vibe sent to your SIL. Enjoy your opportunity to help other... I think it sure is a great thing you do. LOL I would have hard time, getting in out of tall suv or tall truck too. I used to drive a small Nissen sentra, when I did my master in Nashville.

Jo, Joan, Ai, thank you for the nice words, happy that you liked the drawing and that you like Larson. Jo, I like both drawings very much, nice digital work .si, Jon, you did a great thing, wish you for the best.

Thanks for all your great sketches. kudos to ams for must unusual sound heard first thing in am ——a squeeking windmill ant to Jo for an exceptional unusual shadow! And honorable mention to Ep whose corner is a subliminal face.

lots of beautiful work . Thanks for sharing

heres my last three......
inanimate leg
bed headboard
mag advert
89CEA0F1-37B9-4F6C-BD0A-ECF39E94B4CC.jpeg
5C595320-0526-48DB-A831-3311E3C7D771.jpeg

Wow! This thread has exploded with wonderful art since I last peeked in. :oops: You all are amazing - as well as inspiring!

I just logged in to see the next Hunt is up and have it stickied (or is it stuck?!) and ready to go. Looking forward to the next round.

Robin, thanks for the Hunt. Had fun. I like your leg, headboard and advertisement. Is that all watercolor? You don't do that much. Very nice. I'm smiling.

See all y'all next Hunt.

Joan, beautiful lilacs! I also really like the "free space" construction site. Sorry to hear about your SIL's accident. Hope she heals fast.

Ai, piano is spectacular!

EP, love your monitor stand. I would get startled too often if my computer faced into the corner. My corner is behind me at my computer.

joe1lt, love Far Side. Good sketch.

Jo, this windmill isn't functional. Funny enough, where I lived in California, I had a decorative windmill that was about 6 feet tall. This one is much bigger, maybe 25 feet, but is currently just decorative. It looks as though it may have been functional in the past. I'm curious about using it for wind power, but I haven't investigated much. I guess next time I move my windmill will have to be several stories tall to keep up with the progression. Cool shadow!

RobinSusan, I didn't see EP's corner face until you pointed it out. Fun! (Toothy keyboard.) That's a fancy headboard, very pretty. Thanks for the hunt!

Back