Scavenger Hunt from Life #20 Apr 12 - Apr 20

Ep—- ah, yes Christmas cactus emerging sequence is engaging...and those markers look so inert but you can do the trick we love.....so good to see your spacious sketches....

Joan - beautiful spring-scapes! We have something blooming all year so do not get the bursts of color. Reading the book, he has one of your paintings on page 91. It is titled Amsterdam.

Ai - agree the contrast in times and culture is very dramatic. Well done!

Keep sketching
Joe
... Joe: Would it be possible to see the snap shot of the book page 91, I'd like to see Joan's work in context. But if you think this will be too much of co-py-right-violation then that is OK.

Reactions: amo
EP: Thanks ... Yeah, the barn cafe was inspired by Canadian barns. The daughter of the owner went to study there. Wow... on cactus plant. we try to grow that one too but it never make it in the all year super hot in Bangkok. Fun marker pen collection sketches.

Joe1: Thanks for the tips on table easels. I have a feeling I will put it to my many good art uses.

RobinSusan: Thanks... Congratulations on your engagement. Now I have to find something to sketch to celebrate that good news from ya.... Cheers

Ai, thanks. I love your sketch combining the old and new Thai designs. There is so much wonderful detail in that Thai temple.

Joe, thank you. As for the book he never specified what image he was going to include, so it was a surprise when I finally saw it. It our chatter about the book I never commented on your jaw bone rattle...super job!!! I'm imagining the sound it makes...

EP, lol I get excited when I see the spring foliage. It cals to me. Nice collection of markers! Love the colorful cactus and I like that you colored some of it but not all.

Robin, congratulations!!! That is exciting news! Happy news is always good to hear. Thanks for you sweet comment.

It has been very spring-like here in NY and so many trees and shrubs are in bloom. I get distracted by them easily. lol Here are a few more.
3 - blossom - direct watercolor of my pansies that I bought to celebrate Spring.
IMG_9891.jpeg

4 - spring - watercolor (I'm trying to figure out how to paint the white/light pink blossoms on the trees.)
IMG_9879.jpeg

Happy Easter to all.
Eyepaint, Joan, wonderful job. wonderful flowers, color.
Robin congratulations

1 Amarillo (Yellow)
,orange.
i did this, another try with procreate, when i started i thought i would color it, maybe tomorrow or later i try to color it

Arancia.jpg

EP - clever on all the colors. Fun to watch your cactus evolve from page. Particularly like how you did the dirt.

Robin - Congratulations on engagement.❤️

Joan - the jawbone rattle makes an interesting sound. There is the jingle of the bells and the deer toes hitting the bone make a clicking sound at the same time. Pretty pansies. I think you did a great job with the pink tree blossoms.

Joe1 - excellent digi of orange!

Keep sketching
Joe

Ai - per your request. Since I credited Nirja and at least one of the images is Joan’s I do not think there is a violation of copyright. Also added a closeup of Joan’s piece

piece
A07EE234-2FE3-4FC8-9316-331B8B57B868.jpeg

B096E787-B02E-4B10-9D3C-8F51F7082A49.jpeg

Here is link fo book fir anyone interested.

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it, and hello, everyone! I'm enjoying looking at all your sketches. I lurk here for most hunts, but it's been a few weeks since I've even done that.

Thanks for the list, Jo. I have cottonwood trees outside my window, but I probably won't get around to sketching them. Been thinking about sketching them for about 18 months now and haven't done it yet.

RobinSusan, congratulations!

As far as table easels, am I the only one that does this? I sit at my computer table/desk on an office chair and prop a drawing board up in my lap. Not for every project, but a lot of them. I can adjust the angle by adjusting the height of my chair or rolling back or forward. I'd love to have a more dedicated space, but I live in a small space, so . . . .

These are small sketches with $0.99 Crayola oil pastels (grabbed them on clearance on impulse a while back).
#1 Amarillo (yellow), yellow plastic bag with stuff in and around it. 8.5 x 6.5 inches. About 20 minutes.
#2 Blanco (white), pill bottle. I drew on top of a failed painting, so there are some colors and shapes in the background that don't belong there. Mostly camouflaged, I think. I really enjoyed that, so I'll be looking around here for more failed paintings to see what I can make of them. 4 x 6 inches. About 20 minutes.
20220417_165631 (Small).jpg

20220417_172214 (Small).jpg

Joe: Thanks so much ... It is great to see Joan's work in the context of many other cool artists. I'll put that book in my art bucket list.

Joan: It is so nice to see your work of Amsterdam, and how marvelous you did on those bikes parking there... Wow...!!! Gorgeous spring time sketches from you as well.

Angela: Glad to see your artworks again. Nice to see you try to recycle the old art piece. Thanks for info. of table easel. I say in arts, we do what we can to make our art. I have the opposite problems... I, eventhough, have a small room at home, dedicated to art... but I have too many stuffs... I have lots of brushes that I dont use (some were given to me) but I feel bad to part with them... so I end up have a cluttered art and home space. I also have too many totes of plein air sketching sets... and some pile up in my bed room, and a few in my living room ...I need to declutter more...

Joe1: Nice so far... looking forward to see more of amarillo.

Angela - Think we have a few of us that use old pieces and work over them or rub them out. Like Ai said we all do what we can to create our art. I use to follow a few artists on a now defunct art site. This one woman always amazed. She used whatever she had on hand for both media and paper. I remember one she drew on a church flyer with a ballpoint pen. Nice work on both the yellow bag and the pill bottle.

#2 Bangs - ”bangs“ heads. A skull cracker. Various grades of graphite in 9x12in sketchbook.
I screwed up the shape of the head and made it too square but was too far into it when I realized (which was when I posted it.)
😂🤣😂
400180AA-BFD8-4B45-95B8-8EEE9CEC74E2.jpeg

keep sketching
Joe

Last edited:
Joe: Wow... very interesting item. Nice shading and intricate details, well done.

Today is Gene's cataract surgery so back sometime. Joan is at eye surgery for Jerry as well. Weird. Anyway, all y'all are doing great. I'll be back with sketches and comments. Keep sketching!!

Joe 1, nice shape to the orange!

Joe, thanks for posting the sketch. All the people who have images on that page you referenced are fellow NYC sketchers and friends of mine. Hope to get back to sketching with them sometime soon.

Angela, glad to see your sketches. I love that your are recycling failed paintings and doing sketches over them. Nice!!

thank you all for the nice words.
love, joe, beautiful jobs.
then I did not continue that drawing, maybe I will then try to draw an orange or another bush again, for colors maybe I will try with time, that is, maybe I will try colored pencils or hatching, something that is less difficult for me and new.

but yesterday I did this.
2 blanco, spring ,
Easter cake, even if half of it was already eaten ..

Opera_senza_titolo 4.jpg

Ai, when I was in Amsterdam I had a lot of practice sketching bicycles in all kinds of positions. lol

Joe, I will also sketch on anything. I once was shopping in an outlet complex when the fire alarm went off and we had to vacate the stores. I was hanging around outside and figured I'd sketch the firetrucks that arrived and the only thing I had in my purse was a coupon booklet, so I sketched in that. lol Not so sure I want to be treated to seeing that object in action. Good sketch of it.

Joe 1, I like the sketch of the cake with the lamb on it. I didn't sketch any of my Easter food...too busy eating it.

This morning Jerry and I had to be at the ambulatory surgical center at 6 AM for his cataract surgery. They let me be in the cubicle with him until they wheeled him into surgery...so of course I sketched him while we waited. The doctor came in to talk to us and said he really liked the sketch. He should have seen the one that I did of myself waiting back in February when I could only see out of one eye. lol Glad to say the cataract surgery went well. In about 2 weeks he will have another surgery to remove the blood that is in his eye from a ruptured blood vessel. It is blocking his vision completely.

Jo, thinking of you and Gene this morning. Hope all went well with his surgery.

5 - white blankets - ink (watercolor added at home)
IMG_9898.jpeg

Joe1 - Did the take taste as good as it looks?

Joan - Glad to hear Jerry’s surgery went well. When I had mine the worst part for me was all the drops during recovery. Great job on the sketch.

Keep sketching
Joe

Some super sketches here this time, I've not had time to do any Hunt pieces as been finishing a couple of pieces for gifts, Good to hear surgery etc going well (Still waiting for mine) for everyone and congrats to Robin. Hopefully will get something done in the next Hunt, meanwhile I'll lurk when I get chance:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

joe1lt, the orange is so nice in shape and descriptive lines. The cake is cute and makes me want something sweet.

Joan, the pansies and pink tree are so good. I like your hospital sketch. I refuse to sketch any masks! Ha. I had forgotten you are published! So cool.

Angela, hey! I miss cottonwoods, not the fuzz, but the look of them and the nice shade. None around here. The bottle has such nice ellipses and flow of line with crayons. I'm impressed. I can't think of anything yellow here except cleaning rags and maybe a tool handle.

Number 3, hook - there is one hook there holding electric cords along with all the attachments for oxygen, etc. Travel sketchbook with Micron 02

csshfl20hook.jpg

Gene's surgery went well, back to Austin today to remove the patch.

Back