Scavenger Hunt from Life #20 Apr 12 - Apr 20

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.
If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/
Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #20 Apr 12 - Apr 20
Amarillo (Yellow)

Bangs
Blossom

Blanco (white)

Bells

Cactus

Cool

Cottonwood

Cove

Crane

Earth

Groom

Hooks

Junction

Jolly

Meadow

Orange

Orchard

Mercedes

Tool

Turkey

Van

Spring

Point

Rosebud

The list is one word names of a few Texas towns. Interpret as you see fit. Associate or substitute. Have fun. This is recycled but the newcomers haven't seen it.

Thanks for the list Jo, interesting idea for prompts - will have to get my thinking hat on.

Thanks for the list Jo, interesting idea for prompts - will have to get my thinking hat on.
Yes, requires thinking. You can always use "town" or home town or any sub. I like some items like "chair" where I don't have to think. Ha. Mercedes can be any car or person, Gene has a sister named Mercedes. Anyway, have fun. I need to get started.

I was using a stylus on Microsoft Surfacepro to do this using MS-Paint app... about 20 minutes.

#1 Amarillo
MicrosoftTeams-image (25).jpg

jo Thanks for a clever list.

Ai - Nice digi! Not sure I ever finished a digi in only 20 minutes. They tend to take longer.

#1 Bell. - We do not have a lot of bells. I usually use doorbell or a rib rattle we hang on wall so went searching for something I never drew before. A jaw bone rattle. I initially drew it in graphite but it looked to flat so added some light washes of watercolor and a bit of ink.
AC071EDC-8E89-48BE-924C-F4A1740FC73F.jpeg

Borrowing Ai’s idea here is the subject and the drawing.

A085A5D2-5396-4328-9C26-CAABA8A9A3A1.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited:
Ai, that is a great digi of Amarillo and so quickly. I always take longer with digital sketches.

Joe, the jawbone rattle is amazing. I like the tinted paper, adds to it. You did a super job on it. (Saving to my desktop photos so I will see it once in a while.)

I did a quick pastel sketch as you see. The paper is reused it had red stuff on it wiped off as you can tell. About 30 minutes wipe off to photo. I didn't crop it so you all can see the mess. Heh, heh.
Number 1, orange and Number 2, white

csshfl20orange-white.jpg

Thanks for your kind words: Joe, and Jo.

Jo: Cool glowing pastel ... amazing shadow and how you did the Taxan fonts ... love the background ... It should not be called a mess, rather it should be called "behind the scene".

Joe: Wow... Fantastic, unique item sketch. That is not an easy sketch model. Great job.

Joe and Jo, so true, this time this digi takes me almost 1 hour... borrow the girl's new sneakers as my art model. Out of steam and out of time, so I only did only the left one... lol ... BTW, I just bought a wooden table easel, it seems nice for me to try some more drawing on... will try some more OP ... or else...

#2 Jolly

April14_2022_shoe_a.jpg

April14_2022_shoe_b.jpg

Another new giant space cafe opens up not far from our home. The owner tries to capture the Canadian barn feel (He went to study in Canada). So we were checking out this place today. I got a good spot at the front lawn and got this down in less than 20 min. with OP. I did not have time to attempt any blending ... uhm... or may be I don't know how to do blending in OP anyway. :rolleyes:

#3 orange -- terra cotta pot in front of the barn cafe scene, done in OP in about A3 size

h20_barn_a.jpg

h20_barn_b.jpg

AI - sneakers look like a challenge. Nice digi. When I draw with graphite I erase a lot, using digi I get worse as undo is a simple quick flick, the result is much longer time. I like the OP with blending it has a kind of a primitive style.

Joan - I picked up a book, Anyone can Sketch by Niraj Gupta on Amazon, started to read the the Introduction and there in the list of credits is your name! 👍🏽👍🏽

Jo, thanks for the new list!

Ai, nice digital sketches of the scissors and the high-tops! Great photo of you sketching that textured barn...nicely done! How did you like sketching using the table easel?

Joe, good to see you. Pre-Covid Naraj spent a lot of time in NYC and joined our group many times to sketch. When he was doing the book he contacted me and asked for permission to include me. It was an honor. Glad you saw it.

1 - Amarillo - watercolors ( Our forsythia is in bloom here in NY.)
IMG_9861.jpeg

2 - Meadow - watercolors

IMG_9877.jpeg

Joan: Thank you. I definitely love the table easel...It brings my ground to my eye level/distance more. Gorgeous spring sketches... happy vivid glow. Congrats to be included in an art book.

Joe: Thank you.

Next item, was done plein aire with pencil+watercolor+OP on a A2 size surface...It took me about 2 hours... as I don't know how to approach the scene: too detail Thai architecture and all the perspective etc. I just try my best at the end....I like this scene because of the crash of new tall building + Thai temple old architecture.

#4 point sub. with pointy ... sub. for the tip of roof decoration in Thai temple style

H20_ThaiTemple_a.jpg

H20_ThaiTemple_b.jpg

Last edited:
Joan - beautiful spring-scapes! We have something blooming all year so do not get the bursts of color. Reading the book, he has one of your paintings on page 91. It is titled Amsterdam.

Ai - agree the contrast in times and culture is very dramatic. Well done!

Keep sketching
Joe

Jo, thanks for the list, Ai, Jo, Joan, Joe, you have published some masterpieces.

Ai, table easel is comfortable, 6 years ago, I decided to resume drawing after decades, I bought one, to draw, to be more comfortable with my back.
only thing, I can move it in 2 positions, both vertical, (with 3 I think it is better), I think it helps to sit better and to use the arm.
if I use writing position I understand, that I would like to lower it more, for the wrist.

sometimes I put a book in the middle to keep it lowered, or in the last year, sometimes I use the frame, the back of a Plexiglas frame as an inclined support (an inclined tablet, on a book). if I want to use my arm, I use the easel, if like in the last year I often reuse the writing position sometimes I use a tablet, lately I was using this (perhaps with a5 sketchbook or a4 photocopies), but this only with sheets, sketchbooks, some sheets, because sometimes I drop it. the tripod is more stable, comfortable.
I haven't done any drawings yet but I have now chosen a few words

I'll post my sketches and then return with comments.

1. amarillo (yellow marker)
2. blanco (white gel ink pen)
3. earth (brown marker)
4. orange (marker)
5. rosebud (pink marker)

hunt20-01.jpg

6. cactus (Xmas cactus....)

hunt20-02a.jpg

hunt20-02b.jpg

hunt20-02c.jpg

Cheers,

Ai - yay yellow handles :) Yay cheerful high top sneakers! A barn in your neighbourhood? Wow! And the trees in front look like Alberta trees :) Love the photo of you working on your sketch :) And that pointy roof Thai temple is much more like what I expect for buildings in your area :)
Joe - ooh jaw bone rattle :) And on toned paper too :)
Jo - yay orange Texas longhorn mug :)
Joan - yay amarillo foliage!

Hi art buddies..been missin’ ya.....got engaged in the meantime...this is this first mention I’ve made to anyone!!

Ai - digi scissors do what I like here...make me wanna log in some digi hrs.... or should I say minutes in your presence! Love ‘em. congrats on you new pastel adventures... have acquired a table easel by accident but haven’t tried it out ever....if I can find it I will see what it brings... the architctue period contrasts are mind blowing!! Deep space captured right there in two D!

Joe Fletch- we got jawbone rattles aplenty here....heheheh....but you can’t put em in a shoebox. You Sure did a great job with a tough subject . I echo Jo‘s high praise of meriting desktop status except I don’t know how to enjoy that on my new software. These updates are too fast to catch me..... just a pencil, pen or caryon, and a digi or two keep me satisfied.

Jo C. — you simple mug, demure creamer provide solid ground for the word Texas to spring up tall! Lovely warm sketch.

Joan - your watercolor sketches are a good example of persistance and observation. Thank you and yes, good to have you here in our humble presence. Art is all about community and here we are together.

Back