Scavenger Hunt from Life #131: Sept 24 - Oct 02

Brian - Great shading on the rock!
Moscatel - We always get World News in NZ. You have painted a wonderful Plein Air!
Joan - great work on your Swan, boat and freespace!

We are in Spring here in NZ but the weather doesnt seem to know - lots of rain. But we have just begun Daylight Saving this morning, seems strange always when we change the clocks doesnt it. Dont go back to our old time until April next year. Im away to Arrowtown tomorrow for a week break. Hoping to get some painting done, but will see.

Hi everyone!! Lazy day today. Morning was nice and cool until about 9 a.m. then the heat came on. About 96 today.

Moscatel, love the plein air church. I've been missing my plein air. Maybe now it is cooler.

Joan love the water bird. The trailer and sailboat is cute and sporty for a quick one. The sketches from your group of the earrings and watch are so nice. Look like you could pick them up.

Vivien, enjoy your break. Hope you get to paint, too. Always nice memories from a trip.

Moscatel, yes, my plein air group has one big exhibit/sale every year. Usually it is in December but the venue wasn't available this year so it was moved to November, a week after I get home from Venice...so I have to get my work ready before we leave.

Vivien, thanks. Enjoy your trip away...hope you get some painting done.

Jo, thank. you. Sorry the heat has returned again.

Ai, thanks.

Thanks, Joan.
Good morning, Ai and everyone. I sat in a chair on the front porch looking across the street. Shady under all the trees. Rest of the page from the last sketch in the large Canson Mixed Media book with a sharpie pen and watercolor.
Number 8 rock - the lava rock (malpais) and white limestone from the other house on the edge of the sidewalk. Closer trees are Youpon, a holly, and the others are mostly cedar. I think there is still one pine tree near the road.
Number 9 seasonal - in our part of Texas seasons change often, we are hot and dry….

csshfl131seasonal-rock.jpg

Vivien, thank you!
You have SPRING!! We're about to get ready for winter. By the way, NZ is 10 hours ahead of time of Finland so at the moment when I'm writing this we're in Sunday night but you are waking up for Monday already.

Jo, I'm glad you found a shady spot under the trees to do some plein air sketches. Both are looking good!

Moscatel, thanks. Exhibiting at home and traveling make things interesting.

14 - four wheels (although you can only see three) - ink over Posca marker that was already on the page.

IMG_6164.jpeg

15 - big building - watercolors and ink

IMG_6166.jpeg

#4: Four wheels.
I had another go at the toy car. I think this one is better than my previous attempt, but still, one of the most difficult things I have ever tried to draw. I simply can't seem to get the proportions or perspective quite right. This happens partly, I think, because I tend to raise and lower my head while drawing, so the perspective keeps on changing.

It seems that when drawing this kind of thing, somewhat counter-intuitively, one should actually not try to rely too much on actual direct observation the whole time. You gotta decide from which exact angle you are going to draw it and then stick to that angle, and constantly be wary of trusting your eyes too much - you may have raised or lowered your head a bit, and now what your eyes observe is in conflict with the perspective scheme you have chosen!

DSC_2426.JPG

Thanks all for your thoughts and prayers. Much appreciated. Now we need to keep positive thoughts and prayers for Robin.

Joan - The detail in the café sketch is amazing. Like the graphite swan but love the effect of the Magic Pencil on the sailboat and trailer. The geometric objects sketches are neat. Be a clever idea for an abstract. Nice ink car sketch. Detail in your watercolors continues to amaze me.

Jo - Glad to hear crickets are gone. Nice sketch. Pretty watercolor landscape.

PINECONE! 🤗 Welcome home. Miss you, your art and our conversations. You already gave me a smile with thoughts of Pinecone drawing pine cones. Have one of those Echer like drawings in my head.😎

Brian - Excellent shading on the rock. The truck is also excellent. Losing perspective as you move your head is definitely one of the challenges of drawing from life. 🤬 You seem to handle it well.

Moscatel - The church scene is beautifully done.

Vivien - Enjoy your trip to Arrowtown. Hope you find lots of art time.

Ai - Hope your checkup went well. Love the “flowing” look to the campus painting. Flowing is probably not the right or the best adjective but I like it. Nice OP still life too.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Ai - Really nice veggie still life. If you use brush and paint to draw an outline is that still considered direct wc?

#1-veggie - Cucumber using wc in 8x5 cold press pad. May be direct depending on Ai’s answer. Used 00 brush to draw a basic outline.. Than tried to see how shades of green I could get from hooker and perylene green.

IMG_2816.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Ai, your OP of the fruit came out so well...and then you moved on to mastering the watercolor of the veggies. Well done! Love the palm with the little peppers. Glad your check-up went well.

Fletch, thanks so much for all your kind comments on my work. Glad you are safe down there. Hop that Robin checks in soon. I'm not sure where she lives. I have a friend in Asheville NC who lost her studio/business to 15 feet of water in the Arts District. Luckily her home is safe and dry, but they are really dealing with a mess. So many parts of NC and SC were hit so hard. Good job on the cake. I consider it a direct watercolor if no pencil or ink lines were done first. You got some really nice shading going on there! Bravo!!

I've been trying to organize stuff for our trip, but after a morning of that I escaped for a bit to go sketch. This was done of a hardware store in East Moriches. The wheelbarrows have assorted wheels...some have one, some have two.
16 - one wheel - watercolors and ink
17 - two wheels

IMG_6168.jpeg

Back