Scavenger Hunt #70- May 26 x June 3

Joe 1, thanks. Hope you've been sketching. Nice sketches of the people!

Ai, thanks. Interesting ceiling lamps from the car wash. Nice sketch of the boat on the river. That sketch of the building at the university came out so good. You took a very ordinary scene and made it so lovely and colorful. :)

Jo, thanks. I snuck in sketching when I could, but gave it less time than I normally do. The little kids are always ready to do something. Your porch sketch is something you've done before but your colors and liveliness made it a pleasure to see again. You know how much I always love your shiny bottles and the pops of color you get with the pastels. That made me smile.

EP, thanks. It was fun to have some people around to sketch and the kiddies both can relax well when they run out of steam.

This was done down by one of the local beaches on the bay.
12 - something red - watercolors and ink
13 - something with lettering

IMG_2613.jpeg

14 - what I see when I look up (tall trees) - watercolors

IMG_2615.jpeg

joe1lt, the faces/portraits are so well done. That may be where you should focus! Nice work and thanks.

Ai, your public building is great. I like the dark rich colors.

Joan, you always capture the warm beach days. Love the signs and red and yellow chairs. The store front is amazing and well done.

I sketched my indoor items on the porch. Beautiful morning. In the Canson mix media large sketchbook with a Micron 03 and added pink with Pentel marker/pen. Of course I brushed off some lint before it was dry so spread around the fun pink. Sigh.
Number 8 scissors and Number 9 Starts with F - fob on key ring

csshfl70scissors.jpg

csshfl70fob.jpg

Today I went for a check-up at Siriraj hospital, which sits along side Chaophraya River. So I got some quick sketches done before seeing my doctor.

#5 in public --- the Dome building of Thammasat University, my alma mater...

h70-tu-a.jpg

h70-tu-b.jpg

#6 outside -- a tugboat (on left) ... and some photos of them, parading Chaophraya River ... done with directwatercolor and some inks for rope pulling a vessel

#7 outside -- a vessel carrier (on right) ... I also attached some photo of Thai tugboats and water vessels...

h70_boats_a.jpg

Thai-tugBoats.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks EP, Joan, Joe1, Jo, Robin, and any like from other for kind support. I just recovered for sickness, and did not have much energy to type much... just be grateful that I am feeling better and got some sketches done again.

Jo, Joan, EP, Robin, and Joe1: You all have been producing wonderful sketches.

Ai, happy you are feeling better. I love the dome and tugboat. Knowing you and about your country has given me some answers on Jeopardy! And of course knowing you and your family is so special. Watching the girls grow has been so family like..... Thanks for sharing the photos.

I'm back! Love all the sketches. Ai can I ask how do yo manage the cheap paper? Right now is the only thing I have on hand and is driving me crazy.

#1 scissors
#2 green (little frog I found yesterday at work)
#3 gets Hot (my lighter)
#4 Red (another columbine from my boss, this one is a double flower!)
#5 in public #1 (a coffee in a bar)
#6 when I look up (kitchen ceiling)
#7 when I look down (my legs while sketching)
IMG_20230531_061654.jpg
IMG_20230601_062034.jpg
IMG_20230601_062049.jpg
IMG_20230601_062058.jpg
IMG_20230601_062955.jpg
IMG_20230601_062932.jpg
IMG_20230601_062938.jpg

Bghisly: To answer your question "Ai can I ask how do yo manage the cheap paper?" ... I just try to use it as what it is OK for... such as 1. my cheapo paper will never give me the bright colors as I wish from my paint tubes... so don't waste doing many layers of (expensive paints) on it. 2. You tend to get blooms more and it is harder to get the sharper lines, especially if you paint on top of previous colors... unless it is totally dry.... So I just experiment a lot and get used to it.... I don't avoid expensive wc papers ... but I like to do arts as often as I can... so sometime, cheapo let me not worry if I will not produce the best works.. and It also force me to work more on observing the value of the scene as I could not fiddle with the surface too much..I have to read the value or the shades of thing or learn to simplify these things and just do it on this paper with a few simpler strokes.... But sometimes, things come out great, to your surprise... Pls. see my"Thai Durian" sketch below. Thanks for your inquiry.

PS: Also, if you have a good soft brush but held good control, that is helpful too, in approaching details wc painting on such poor quality paper. For example, if you use hard stiff brush, it will harshly stir up the existing pigments even more. ... So I guess, I have been used to deal with both this type of papers and with my buddy paint brushes for a while.

Last edited:
#8 free space ... the Thai Durian fruit, done in directwatercolor in my local cheapo sketchbook... You can look for more info. of Durian (a thorny and pungent and super sweet fruit, common in Southeast asia here :
h70-freeSpace-a.jpg

h70-freeSpace-b.jpg

h70-freeSpace-c.jpg

Jo, thank you so much. I always have my watercolors on hand, as its the only médium I use. And yes, I've been busy, and then my car broke and now I have to "live" between my house and my boyfriend house in another town, as his house its where I work... But I have more time for me, so more time for painting.

Ai, thanks for the reply. Right now as I have to move super light the only sketchbook I can have is a super cheap, 110gr. And is driving me crazy. Like its buckling, watercolor moves as it wants and of course what you said, the color. The sketches I posted are done in that sketchbook. About the duran, I know it, never had it but I read about it. Seems delicious.

Jo, fun looking scissors and good thinking for fob! I haven't done many of my indoor items yet. Too lazy to look for things. lol

Ai, hope your are feeling better and got a good report from your doctor. Love your outdoor sketches on the grounds and along the river. You know how I love your boats! That fruit is so unusual looking. At first it reminded me of a large clam-like object. I read the description of it and don't know if I'd want to open something that has a smell quite like they described. lol Nice job on it.

Bghisly, nice sketches with watercolor. Your food looks delicious and the flower is really pretty. The frog is great...reminds me of the one my niece caught for her kids when I was up in Maine last week. Nice work!

Nothing new from me. I've been mostly sketching outside and most of the items I need to do are indoor ones. :)

15 - 16 - 17 - three things in the bedroom (drapes, blinds, air conditioner) - gel pen

IMG_2626.jpeg

18 - toilet paper holder - watercolor pencil

IMG_2625.jpeg

19 - scissors - gel pen

IMG_2628.jpeg

20 - selfie - watercolor pencil (a younger version of myself)

IMG_2627.jpeg

I discover a cool green plant and arty decor cafe...but I forgot my buddy watercolor set...only some pens and pencils with me.

#9 sub. Selfie with Einstein bust

1000012585.jpg

#10 ..some thing starts with "F"ree spirit, a bust of John Lennon
1000012593.jpg

#11 Green ... a potted plant at the cafe.

1000012590.jpg

Joan, very cool drapes, blinds and air conditioner. Nice lines and distribution. Good on the toilet paper roll. Scissors look sharp! Nice quick selfie. Looks like you.

Ai, fun selfie sub, nice lines on Einstein. Nice find for free .. spirit of John Lennon. The plant has graceful lines. I'm imagining the green of it.

Robin, thanks for the Hunt. I got more done than I thought I would. See all y'all on the next Hunt.

I sketched on the way to the grocery store yesterday so it was super quick. I forgot my sketchbook so I sketched on a coaster.
Number 11 (Numbered out of order) three things in public - Only got two, the flags and the building at the Bastrop Public Library.
csshfl70public.jpg

Today I sketched at my desk in the Canson mix media large sketchbook half page with the Micron 03.
Number 10 Book you just or plan to read Daily Painting by Carol Marine. She is an internet friend. She lived in Bastrop and we didn't get to meet in person before she moved to Oregon and now lives in Montana. Generous and excellent teacher and artist. You can check her on carolmarine.com and dailypaintworks.com She and her husband started the site. She has some free tutoring videos there and some other inexpensive lessons. Her book is fantastic and helpful. She is an oil painter mostly.

csshfl70book.jpg

Ai, nice ink sketches. You did well without your watercolors.

Jo, thanks. I like your quickie outdoor sketch of the library. Looks like an interesting book.

Bghisly, nice to see your sketches of the birds and insect. Well done!

So glad you all got some sketching in. Very inspiring and pleasing to see what’s going down in te books. Sorry I didn’t have a chance to comment individually. I did get to squeeze in a brief visit and a sketchto the old coffee shop I used to frequent while the sitter was with hubbie. Got to sketch a lady named Linda who seemed to always be there.
Again, thanks for being here and creating this sweet spot in our lives. Each of you are awesome.

As for Paul M50 chillin in Hawaii….happy travels :>}
F66AC5B8-5393-42EA-900C-AFE712CBB9EB.jpeg

Back