Scavenger Hunt #55 January 26 - February 03 2023

Thanks for your friendly comments

E.J.H. glad you posted the seagull skull....is that brains or scattered sand? Heheheh....really nice line and wash....looks like you enjoyed making it inside rather than on the windy beach.

NedL - oh, you are getting good at using minimal tools to create atmosphere with nice places to wander on the page. Your words Fletch quoted are so right on—everyone’s art touches our world

sylwia - wow! Classy folds

Fletch - thanks for quoting Ned I didn’t see that comment and it is spot on. Saw your sweet lizard in the ink forum.

JoC - neat sketches, good perspective and proportion. Looking at those shelves sorta reminds me of the high school hallway exhibits.

EP great sketches ...love the background zing! The hand looks tender and gentle

Joan - nice shell watercolor ...perfect colors for it....the dark cavity hasintersting depth. Wderful store front! So comprehensive fr curb t rooftops with alley seating in between. Sweet

MPaul- cool things to draw at Cape Cod. That reminds me of a book I read along time ago Ten Years Before The Mast...

Brian - well done, well done - yep, fragile is just runs thru the mind when holding light bulbs.

Cool stuffs everyone ... I'm a bit exhausted from previous jazz event sketching and some extra works rolling in recently but I do appreciate each unique and beautiful sketch. Love them all !!! (y)

Had an "adventure" today. Wanted to find a tide pool for shell/plant/stone and found a good one with a cool-looking crab... sat down and just started to draw the seaweed when the crab decided it didn't like me looking at it and suddenly scuttled under the seaweed. Then I found another where things wouldn't move: a starfish, sea anemone and snails.. found a nice place to sit, just started to draw and then I heard a wave coming sound, looked up and it was time to move. The nice dry rock I had been sitting on got washed over by the incoming tide. I had only drawn maybe a dozen lines. After 2 false starts, it was time to go and get my hike in before sunset. Next time the tide needs to be going out!! :)

Instead, here's a quick one from yesterday ( ran out of room on the left side... I want to learn perspective looking down from these high cliffs ) #3 much bigger than a breadbox!

IMG_1421rs.jpg

back with comments tomorrow!

Last edited:
Hello ... can't you tell that I have miss you guys !!! I did all these in about 1.5 hour, in my cheapo mixed media sketchbook size about A5. It does not take watercolor well but I still enjoy it cheap price with decent surface for drawing.

#4 fit in my palm ... a strawberry a) done in 2B mechanical pencil b) done in OP
h55-fitInMyPalm-a-Strawberry.jpg

h55-fitInMyPalm-b-Strawberry.jpg

#5 fruit (tangerine -- done in directwatercolor)
#6 sweet (Hershey's kisses -- done in OP) ... All right, my Kisses is blown to the size of my tangerine ;-)
#7 secondary (my purple hair scrunchy -- done in OP)

h55-fruit-seconDaryPurpleColor-Sweet-HersheyKisses.jpg

#8 bigger than a bread box (our piano in which we put a quilt on its top ... done in directwatercolor) ... I think I have it done too short ... and look somewhat like Star Wars space robot character

h55_biggerThan-A-BreadBox-piano.jpg

#9 soft (bananas ... done in markers and ink)

h55_soft-green-banana.jpg

Last edited:
Jo - Nice pair of sketches.

Robin - Pretty orchid. Do you grow them? We have tried a few times but between us we manage to kill them quickly. You made me smile. No one has called be Fletch in 20 years. For some reason when I retired I became Joe or Mr Fletcher with an occasional Joseph but was Fletch all my life before that. Even sign my art fletch with lower case f. Thanks for the

EP - A little change in style. Like the color blocks

Joan - Nice work on broken shell. I the store front my eye kept going to the detail in the lamppost so took me a minute to figure out what the person was doing? Standing on the flower box?

Paul - had the same problem the other day, Icons were all greyed out to I had to attach the photo. Looks like a fun miniature course with Pirate theme.

Brian - Excellent bulb. Shading is spot on.

Ned - Was expecting maybe more hoping to see the false starts. Another interesting monochrome seascape. Well done!

Keep sketching
Joe

EP: I am right hand... I finished the sketch and wanted to put something to weight down the paper for the photo. So I put my paintbrush down on left. Thanks for paying attention to my details set up.

Robin, very cool digi orchid!

Ep, more smiles. Like your simple lines but so descriptive and with a bit of color for emphasis. The hand and coil are great. Fun finds!

Joan, your seashell has such nice form and shadows. The storefront is great and colorful.

Paul, great pirate find. Good lines on the round items. Your fragile made me smile.

Brian, your light bulb is gorgeous. Not a usual comment for a light bulb. Ha. I guess those are old fashioned now.

NedL, Ha, fun story on your pools of finds. Your downward cliff is great. Beautiful photo.

Ai, yummy strawberry in black and white and color. Hershey's kisses make me hungry. Lovely tangerine and fun find for purple.

I played in the pastel dust on the same old blue paper. It is about 9 x 10 I think. Thought you might like to see the whole paper part.
Number 3 - fruit
Number 4 - folds (napkin)

csshfl55fold-fruit.jpg

Thanks for the comments, I'll post the next Hunt tonight for the folks on the other side.....of the world. You can continue here tomorrow as well.

EP, thanks.

Paul, thanks. Love your pirate-themed sketches! Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum!

Brian, nice shading on the light bulb. I still have one or two similar bulbs.

Robin, as always I appreciate your comments. :)

Ned, love your "bigger than a breadbox" sketch of the cliff. Fun story about the wave. One day I was painting out on a rock along the side of the harbor. My easel was down below me in the sand and the next thing I knew it was floating and I was surrounded on 3 sides by water. I packed up quickly and had to wade out to dry land since I didn't want to climb up over the rocks. The tide comes in quickly sometimes.

Ai, great assortment of sketches. Love that tangerine in direct watercolor. I think all Hershey's kisses should be almost the size of a tangerine. Then I wouldn't have to eat so many. ;) Nice work on the piano and the bananas too.

Joe (aka fletch), thanks. Maybe I should have shaded the mannequin in the window so it didn't come forward so much and end up on the flower box. lol

Joe 1, nice to see Eeyore make an appearance again.

Jo, lovely pastel with the contrast of the purple with the orange and yellow!

16 - plant - watercolors & ink
IMG_1762.jpeg

17 - fragile dunes - watercolors

IMG_1743.jpeg

Joan - No mannequin this time? 😁 Nice find on bushes as plant. Dune grasses are done so well I can almst see them sway in the breeze.

joe aka fletch.😎

Ai, I completely missed the piano and bananas. The piano is great in direct watercolor. Wow. Gene eats lots of bananas and they look just like yours, I get some green and some ripe so he can have them for a few days.

Joe1lt, we cross posted. Thanks. I really like this version of Eeyore. Makes me smile.

Joan, that's a great doorway and steps with the plants. Different for your building sketches. Mmmmm, the dunes are lovely. There is grace to the blowing grasses.

Alabama, Welcome. I like the plant in front of the blinds. Makes an interesting sort of abstract drawing. I'm smiling again.

Joe, thanks for the Hunt. See all y'all on the next one. You still have Feb 3 to finish this Hunt.

New Hunt:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-56-feb-03-feb-11.5129/

Sylwia -- I always like your shading so much! You have a great eye for where contrast needs to be.

Joe -- thanks! ( I did originally start using the ink with the idea of painting color over it, but I definitely like monochrome too! )

Jo -- like the bursts of color in the train work cars. And the textures of both kinds of trees in the background. Brrr! We've been in the 20's at night for the past 4 or 5 days, but not too cold during the days.

Robin -- Cool orchid, like the purple!

EP -- Hi! Like your smooth lines as always, and the note on the stack of books made me smile. I did a "double take" at the pages in the "prentice hall" book, and was surprised how well that shading looks like pages.

Joan -- I always like when you use a more limited palette, like the shell. The person in the next one really wants to see in the window! like the splatters and I spent way too long looking at that tree and how it has yellow and other browns and cooler gray.. it looks great.

Paul -- scavenger hunt w/ pirate is fun and that grave stone made me laugh out loud.

Brian, that compact fluorescent bulb is well done. Great proportions and shading.

Ai -- OP is oil pastel, right? That strawberry is excellent. Like both but the color one is striking. I like the piano and can't even imagine how to do that with direct WC! The bananas are great! Wow you were busy!

Joe again -- ok :) :) I'll post the false starts. They really barely got started though. I decided to annotate "what would have been"

Joe1 -- I like Eyeore!

Jo again -- definitely like to see the whole, like the contrast in the folds and the bright yellow!

Joan again -- I was lucky I heard the wave crashing a long way out, so I had plenty of time to move ( I'm very careful around the ocean and wouldn't have sat if there was any danger. ) The dunes painting is just superb... I think it belongs in a frame on a wall. The overall effect is special.

Alabama, nice to see the hunt growing! Like the quick lines overall impression.

wow this hunt seemed to go by fast.
here are the two false starts such as they are
I lost track of the numbers.

#3? plant sub seaweed. crab was supposed to be the main attraction
IMG_1440rs.jpg

#4,shells... this is when the wave came, none of the subjects are done being drawn!
IMG_1441rs.jpg

Back