Scavenger Hunt #55 January 26 - February 03 2023

So far behind in life..... Hi, everybody!

Paul, great hand w/quarter. Hersey Kisses are so yummy, yours made my mouth water. Nice fruit and the pland is great. Like the red bow.

Joan, the construction scene is amazing. Love the sheep. I'm like Joe, where are you??? Ha. The antique shope is great, love the red trimmings and flags.

Sylwia, what a great digital of the cup and jars. Nice find and well done on the textures and shine.

Brian, you are rollin'. Lovely flowers. I like the hatching for the dark background.

Ai, such fun direct watercolors. You caught the mood and the liveliness of the musicians. The landscape is wonderful and makes me want to know more.

Sylwia, I love the row of objects you did digitally! Those came out great!!

Brian, you varied the tones nicely so that the flowers stood out and there was texture. Nicely done!!

Ai, that looks like such a fun day sketching at the music festival. Great capture of the 3 musicians...you should have sold it to the father. That would be such a fun memory for them. I see names on the sketch. Did they each sign it? That last sketch of the campus and sign in a winner!

Joe, the sheep were at a historic farm but there are some farms out east that still do raise them in small numbers. We even have a bison ranch/farm out I believe in Cutchogue. Thanks so much for your comment.

Ned, thanks. Many antique shops have a plethora of objects piled around. This one was a little more conservative...at least outside. I didn't go inside.

Jo, thank you. We do have a few small farms around with sheep on them. Usually they are either too far away for me to sketch or walking around and not staying in one spot. It must have been break time for them. lol

Today I joined the NYC Urban Sketchers at the Brooklyn Museum. It was a fun day of sketching.

10 - stone coffin in the Egyptian section - watercolors and ink

IMG_1729.jpeg

11 - fish (substitute for a bird) - watercolors and ink (This was in the Canadian Inuit area.)

IMG_1730.jpeg

12 - folds in clothing - ink (Jerry at the eye doctor.)

IMG_1739.jpeg

13 - stack of chicken wings - watercolors and ink (The green things are celery sticks, not green chicken wings. lol)

IMG_1736.jpeg

Brian - good to see you around again! Great shells, they do look like they bumped around. I love nasturtiums but haven’t yet succeeded in growing them. Your sketch is wholesome looking and pleasing...unusually interesting textures with pencil.

Joan lovely pieces. The yellow landscaping equipment looks like it was fun to do. The sheep expressions are really quite amusing. Great coffee cafe sketch...very cheery atmosphere You give it. Is it one of your favorites?

MPaul-fun group of sketches, nice variety and details...the flowering plant in the box is really nice take. Looks fresh and lively...then this time of winter live vegetation is special.

sylwia- colorful digits thanks for the pointers on tools used...

Ai - that set of music etc is glowing with light! My fav is the different musicians......but the are all glowing

Joan...great museum sketches....depth with visitors coming thru door into big room with large objects give the perfect feel of a museum and the object are nicely detailed,,it is fun to look at! The lunch basket paper is crackling crisp.

Joan -- the museum sketches are fun, I really like the 2nd one. I kind smiled imagining putting the words on the paper in the food basket! :)

I found a particular special kind of shell on the beach yesterday, but didn't draw and was thinking maybe I'd find a tide pool today to draw a living creature with its shell... but today was windy with rough surf and I got there after low tide. Maybe later this week...
I sketched this today with the pocket sketchbook, pen, and waterbrushes filled with ink. Since October when I started drawing again, it was all because of the pocket sketchbooks my daughter gave me -- it sounds silly and obvious to say, but it's where you are!

#1, um, stone(s) :)
IMG_1411rs.jpg

this scene:
IMG_1410rs.jpg

Oh, ha! After I posted this I just realized that I didn't draw that flatter area above one of the cliffs.
Some people with a dog came by when I was drawing that part, and later I kept feeling like something was off.

Brian - good to see you around again! Great shells, they do look like they bumped around. I love nasturtiums but haven’t yet succeeded in growing them. Your sketch is wholesome looking and pleasing...unusually interesting textures with pencil.
Around here, it's difficult to stop them from growing. This one grew after last year's batch self-seeded, and nasturtiums started peeking out everywhere. :)

For my next SH, trash, I was alas spoiled for choice - South Africa is a nation of incorrigible litterbugs, and wherever you go, you wade ankle-deep through other people's carelessly discarded trash. But then, what is trash to you may be treasure to the artist. I picked up one of the many, many empty cigarette boxes lying everywhere in the street and made a sketch. :)

2023 SH 55 Trash.jpg

Nice to see everyone's entries thus far, and thanks for the kind words.

Robin, thanks so much for all your comments. The museum was fun after all the time I spend sketching things outdoors.

Ned, thank you! I had to keep turning my paper around to do the lettering on the paper in the basket of wings. lol Great sketch of the rocky coast! So glad you got the pocket sketchbooks so you could share with us. Where do you live? We don't have many rocks like that around Long Island.

Brian, you just showed that trash can be beautiful! Great shading on that. I once went to a gallery and all the work was by a woman who did huge collage portraits. All the collage fodder was trash that she picked up all over the world in her travels and recycled. The portraits were amazing.

Joan - The museum sketches are excellent. You do an amazing job with people perfectly proportioned in size and perspective. The ink sketch of jerry just blew me away. Superb. I hate trying yo do text in perspective. You did in virtual every angle.

Ned - you are truly getting me hooked on monochrome landscapes. Love it. Am very glad you got the pocket sketchbook as a gift.👍🏽

Brian - the detail in the label is amazing. Do you do calligraphy? Excellent shading too.

Keep sketching
Joe

Brian, you just showed that trash can be beautiful! Great shading on that. I once went to a gallery and all the work was by a woman who did huge collage portraits. All the collage fodder was trash that she picked up all over the world in her travels and recycled. The portraits were amazing.
Actually a great idea for those of us who cannot afford expensive art materials, though I suppose the colors in a lot of trash will not be archival. :)

Thanks for the kind comments.

Brian - the detail in the label is amazing. Do you do calligraphy? Excellent shading too.

No, in fact, I suck at calligraphy and lettering. In this case I just tried to copy the letters on the box as well as I could! :)

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Scavenger Hunt #55
  • Bigger than a bread box
  • Fits in the palm of your hand
  • Shell
  • Stone
  • Brick
  • Tree
  • Plant
  • Flower
  • Fragile
  • Sign
  • Poster
  • Stack of..
  • Row of..
  • Trash
  • Laundry
  • Folds
  • Flag
  • Bird
  • Primary color
  • Secondary color
  • Fruit
  • Gate
  • Front door
  • View out a window
  • Soft
  • Sweet

Challenges:
    1 Use 2 or more associations. List your associations.
    Example: label - package - present - bow.
    Draw a bow and list the 3 associations
    2 Draw view out a window and view in the same window
Keep sketching
Joe
Something sweet. Bottle of cream. Great list. Thanks.
Created with mixed brands red, yellow, pink coloured pencils, on recycled art book note paper.
IMG_20230130_071956_1-01.jpeg

everything you have posted is wonderful, very nice to admire them.

i made this, digital drawing. played with various digital paint brushes.

1 Fruit, a tangerine on a tissue paper, white, folded with shadows, I couldn't make much of the tissue paper

2023-01-30 01-42.jpeg

JennieJo - like the soft blends you use to create curves and shading.

Joe1 - has an energy to it. Cool style. Very dynamic and fresh.

Keep sketching
Joe

I love the prompt lists here, the first two this time round, "bigger than a bread box" and "fits in the palm of your hand", practically cover about any object in the universe. 😁
( This is by no means meant snarky or sarcastic, I really love the versatility of a prompt list that is VERY broad/flexible)

I am always following these threads, and have very (way too) seldom posted some work in it (at least..twice, maaybe thrice...?). Even though I don´t react much to individual posts here I really love all the stuff being put up here, there is a special appeal in working directly from life I think.
Life has gotten a bit in the way (nothing serious mind you). But I am instilling some better habits in my life (moderately successful) and more regularly producing art is one of them.

I did make some stuff last couple of days, but the one I did "from life" would actually be "cheating"; I snapped a quick photo with my phone, on my way from work, and painted from that reference.
Now probably no one would mind (or know) this, but I would. Painting from life is painting from life.

Joe, thanks so much. Sketching in the museum was fun. Sometimes the sketches grow right before my eyes like the one of the whole room. lol

Brian, looks like you do better than you think with lettering. That came out really well. I tend to have trouble keeping my letters the same size or else fitting them into the area they need to go in.

Jennie Jo, nice bottle. What are you going to use the cream for?

Joe 1, thanks. Nice work on the tangerine on the tissue paper. Hard to tell that it is a digital drawing.

E.J.H., hope you can join in again soon. Sounds like you are trying to organize yourself so that you do have some time for art.

EJH - Now that is a tease. Post it somewhere please. Hope your reorganizing will include time for art.

Keep sketching
Joe

"A tease", believe me it was not meant that way☺️
At least I have a rather good excuse to put my plein sir ambitions on ice for a while, literally ,as it is -10 outside and a snowstorm is brewing.
So for now indoor stuff, items found around the house...This is a skull of a seagull, most likely a kittiwake. It was done in line and wash, dippen with indian ink, Lukas 1862 watercolors. Size about 20x12 cm.
#1, bird
20230130_204956.jpg

Last edited:
Back