Scavenger Hunt #55 January 26 - February 03 2023

Enjoying the comments banter and world wide art comraderie…. I was surfing around on this site for some new desktop tidbits and you know because we all post to this one thread it is really alive and sometimes our art mimics each other for example I was surprised Joe1 digital I thought maybe it was joC or Sylvia, Heheh. Anyway thanks y’all for making this all possible….

Primary color
Untitled_Artwork 3.jpg

The ceiling and the car show room was so impressive and gigantic. I tried over and Over to get it but fell WAY short

Enjoying the comments banter and world wide art comraderie…. I was surfing around on this site for some new desktop tidbits and you know because we all post to this one thread it is really alive and sometimes our art mimics each other for example I was surprised Joe1 digital I thought maybe it was joC or Sylvia, Heheh. Anyway thanks y’all for making this all possible….
Robin - Speaking of styles, all three of your pieces do not look at all like your normal style. Never would have guessed they were yours. The style is quite different. Colored inks and hatching are my keys to your creations,

E.J.H. - Nicely done. Love the shading. Reminds me I have a box of bird and animal skulls buried in my art closet somewhere.

Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited:
JennieJo - like the soft blends you use to create curves and shading.

Joe1 - has an energy to it. Cool style. Very dynamic and fresh.

Keep sketching
Joe
You are very kind :) trying to sketch from life every day. Still hate it.

Brian -- like the shading and depth on the cigarette pack!, and again really like the way some of the darker contour lines make nice edges.

Joan -- thanks! I live in the Western part of Sonoma County, about 50 miles North of San Francisco. We're blessed with rolling green hills to the South, oak covered hills to the East, Redwoods to the North, and a great coast.

Joe -- thanks, I'm wishing I had more time for your list, it almost feels like it was made for where I am. Sometimes these hunts go by too fast!

JennieJo -- I like your sketch on top of the list! ( kind of laughed when I saw "dog food" in there! that's great! )

Joe1 -- lots of contrast, bright and catchy!

E.J.H -- wow, love the colors and nice clean lines on that. Maybe this is silly or romantic or wishful thinking, but I have a notion that when I draw from life, even if I'm not very good at it yet, something of what I'm feeling somehow gets into the drawing, maybe even into the individual lines. It's a nice thought anyway! :)

Robin, love the variety of sketches! I don't know what the ceiling looked like, but I think your sketch of it looks cool and the bright colors and swirl of blue made me stop and look at it!

I often walk on this quiet road when I don't have enough time to go to the coast. It's about a 10 minute drive from my house. The closest beach is about 20 minutes away.

Drew while standing again, and got lost at one point again... probably a coincidence, I hope!
( these are really tall and spindly .. I don't think I drew even 1/2 way up the trunks! )

#2 tree(s)
IMG_1416rs.jpg

Ned - To quote you…”Maybe this is silly or romantic or wishful thinking, but I have a notion that when I draw from life, even if I'm not very good at it yet, something of what I'm feeling somehow gets into the drawing, maybe even into the individual lines. It's a nice thought anyway!” Think that is what turns a doodle or sketch into art.
In my mind I always thought landscapes needed to be in color, but you have shown me wrong. The stand of trees is excellent.

Sylwia - WOW. I looked before I read and assumed that was Conté. Beautifully done.

Keep sketching
Joe

Well, like the rest of the country it is freezing here. 36 degrees F for today, our normal would be about 60-65. Yesterday was a visit to the eyeglass place and dentist for Gene. I sketched in the car, then in the dentist room. The Ohuhu mix media book and a Micron 03, added the yellow at home with watercolor.
Number 1, primary color - yellow train work cars across the street
Number 2, bigger than a bread basket - the cabinet and shelves behind the dentist It is the wall to the hall as well so the assistant walks around that to get to the other side to get things leaving room for me to sit near the window.
csshfl55primary.jpg

Joan, great finds at the museum. Jerry and Gene have lots of doctors, seems the older we get the more that is our "excursions". The chicken wings are fun, interesting to be served with celery.

Ned, lovely landscapes. You have a great touch for the black and white. Beautiful photos. The trees are amazing.

Brian, fun to see your choice. Great copying of the letters and nice perspective on the box.

JennieJo, fun to see you here. Love the sketch and reuse of the paper. Good ellipses. I think sketching is like homework sometimes and do it 'cause I feel guilty if I don't post here. Ha.

joe1lt, super digi. It is hard to portray white paper, well done.

E.J.H., looking forward to some more sketches or paintings. Oooh, clever find for bird. Love the color and shadow.

Robin, your sketches always make me smile. Your lines and hatching are so descriptive even when you simplify. The dealership car is great, too.

Sylwia, wow on the folds! So well done.

I have a few sketchs done but need to take pictures and up load.
Lot of nice sketch work being done.

Ai: Great sketches of the musicians they are all very nice
but I especially like the three band members

Joe: Thanks

Jo: Thanks, Nice sketch with primary color, good job on cabinets, great way to spend
time at the dentist

Sylwia: Great folds

Ned: Awesome tree sketch easy to get lost with all those lines

Robin: Dont think you fell way short at all that dealer
show room does look impressive

Joan: Looks like you had a fun day at the museum. Those Egyptian
sketches are very well done and very detailed

I will return with comments. But for now:
I have sketches - Ink and marker and graphite, 8.5x11" printer page

1. Bigger than a bread box - mini fridge

2. Fits in the palm of your hand - eraser - shown in a hand

3. (substitute for) Shell - coil

4. Stone

5. (substitute for) Brick - high density foam block

6. Flower

Cheers,

hunt55-01.jpg

E.J.H. I'd stay inside too if the weather was like that. Nice job on the skull and I like the bits of seaweed with it!

Robin, fun digitals! They are very different from your ink sketches that we're used to. The lady does look like she has soft hair. Good use of your time sketching at the Honda service center. I do that when I have my car serviced...but mine doesn't have such a fancy ceiling fixture. Oooh...pretty orchid!

Ned, you live in a beautiful area. My husband and I drove up the CA coast on one of our trips west and enjoyed the wonderful scenery and the people too.

Sylwia, I love the softness of your last digital sketches...and the shading too. I have to try some digital sketches on my new iPad.

Jo, I was wondering how cold it was down there. Our friends in Itasca posted photos of frozen sleet on their patio and ice in the horse trough. I like the sketch of the trains...nice yellow item!!! I guess someone needs to keep the doctors busy.

Paul, thanks. I had fun with the Egyptian sketch and simplifying the details helped.

EP, great sketches. You even did a bonus microwave with the mini fridge! I'm liking your blocks of color.

14 - shell - watercolors

IMG_1749.jpeg

15 - view into a window (sub for view out a window) - watercolors and ink

IMG_1747.jpeg

Brian - great seashells! Great job on the petals. Yay on the package for cigarettes. Your comment that you are in South Africa gives me an explanation for the brand I do not recognize.
Paul - yay for banana and Xmas plant :)
Joan - great job on the yellow digger. How fun that the sheep are all resting. I just watched a video of a baby sheep getting pets and soaking it all in :) How fantastic to get a chance to sketch ancient Egyptian mummies etc. Woo hoo mask on Jerry in the seat. Thank you. Yay shell!
Sylwia - oooh row of ... And fun folds
Ai - wonderful Jazz wc paintings! May I ask if you are left-handed? I see the paintbrush at the left edge and the clip on the right ...
Ned - I love love love the cliffs :) And fun grove of trees :)
JennieJo - oooh bottle top is always tricky
joe1lt - that orange skin just glows!
EJH - yay skull!
Robin - great seating area - oooh there is a person sitting on the chair. Is that a car in a showroom? Ah yes it is - greta job. And fun orchid
Jo - brrr that's chilly hey?

Brian - great seashells! Great job on the petals. Yay on the package for cigarettes. Your comment that you are in South Africa gives me an explanation for the brand I do not recognize.
I didn't recognize it either, but then, it has been many years since I have last smoked and all manner of weird brands have since entered the market. It may also be a fake brand; some half of cigarettes sold here are illegal and either counterfeits of well known brands, or get such made-up-on-the-spot names. :)

3 more from me: (Picture would only upload as attachment)

#7 Stone: Grave Stone Peg Leg Pete's
#8 Sign: Mini golf coruse sign for Pirate's Cove
#9 Fragile: The grave of Peg Leg Pete

Pen and ink 8" x 11" sketch pad about an hour total

Robin: Great color in the orchard nice sketch

Ned: Like the stones (all relative) the water brushes are
getting a lot of good use

Joe1lt: nice tangerine, one of my favorite fruit, well done

EJH: Nice sea gull. Probably shouldnt say this but thaat is
just the way I like tto see them 🤬

eyepaint: Nice sketches like them all but I particulary like
the eraser in the hand. I am sure the eraser comes in handy
at times

Joan: Nice shell, good view into the window.

Attachments

• pitarte.jpg
    pitarte.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Back