Scavenger Hunt #134 - October 18 - 26

Im loving all the sketches and stories I just cannot comment on all. We appreciate all the good thoughts. Thanks so much.
Number 2 snail mail
Number 3 bigger than my hand. Madonna
Number 4 street lamp. Well, path lamp.

IMG_2601.jpeg

IMG_2603.jpeg

IMG_2604.jpeg

Joan, Jo, Fletch, Brian, and Robin: all your sketches are charming.... They have brighten up my days.

@Fletch ... With my fountain ink sketch, I used 3/4 inch brush lightly dabbed in water then touched the ink line sketch where the shadows were. If I had done this with a smaller brush, I might have fiddled with the sketch shadow too much and possibly weaken the desirable outcome... my 2 cents thought ;) .

@Robin.... In Thailand, some of the craft works of some local hill tribe people are done in those colorful squares too. Amazing how different cultures overlapped.

Thank you all for your kind words and support too.

Last edited:
Robin, Grazie!

Jo, it is great to be able to sketch while Gene is there. I hope you both are doing well.

Fletch, hope to see more sketches with that pen. I left my good pens and inks at home…too much of a chance of them leaking. I miss having them with me. Wish there was a good art shop in Venice.

I’m on the vaporetto going to the small island of Burano. Lots of crayola-colored houses there.

Joan - love the altar decoration

Robin. - No gift is as meaningful as handmade.

Jo -Neat snail maul sketch. Is the Madonna in the park by you? Cool light.

Ai - you fiddled just the right amount. The water and shadows are spot on.

#3 draw pulls. This may seem obvious to some but one of the things that struck me using ink today was the limited control of line quality. With a single grade of graphite you can get a wide range of line quality as Brian does so well. Maybe with a flexible nib you can come closer but with a standard nib there are very limited variations you can achieve. Drew in A5ish size sketchbook.
IMG_2841.jpeg

Keep sketching
fletch

Last edited:
Joan, ah, memories from Burano. Let's see if we have painted the same houses, canals, corners. Can't wait for your Burano paintings and sketches!

I haven't been able to draw or paint from life so that's why I don't post. I'm working on larger projects and they occupy all my days.

Last edited:
Ai, thanks! It was a good day there.

Fletch, thanks. love the drawer pulls. Now I’m imagining what they are on. Lol

Grapes, Inhad to walk around and make sure I was painting different Burano houses this year.

12 - blue house - watercolors
IMG_6467.jpeg

13 - figure in the center of th arch - watercolors and ink
IMG_6469.jpeg

Back