Scavenger Hunt #12 Feb 6 - Feb 14

Joe,- super shading, such a smooth transition, glad you're enjoying your course. Had my first 1 to 1 session yesterday. I'm going back to basics a bit as well, focussing on tone as I've been struggling with it recently courtesy of the eye problems,

We are working in same area Sue. Tone and value are the same. When do you see doctor for your eyes?
joe

Joe, I think it is great that you are taking that class. I haven't done anything as far as basic drawing and I know I could definitely use the review. But like always I'd rather just sketch and paint and ignore the basics that I need. lol Your shading on the cone is great!

Triss, I love the foxy pen holder/mug. It would make me smile every time I walked into the studio. I like how you blurred the cover and title of the book without losing the feeling that it is a book. Super!

Joe 1, nice sketches of the figures. Your page of nuts, clips and pens is really nicely done!

Jo, looks like you stopped mid bite! Great idea for fits in your hand.

11 - sweet - watercolors and ink (This is the last one in the bag and I'm keeping it around as a sketch model.)
IMG_9560.jpeg

12 - used in the kitchen (my sponge holder) - ink
IMG_9559.jpeg

Joan, love that candy. I could not keep it for a model, I eat my models. Your sponge holder is cool. Love the colors.

Thanks for the comments on my work. Lazy today. We are going to try to go to music tomorrow at a farm. May get to sketch some animals. Supposed to be cool and rainy but maybe it will be over by music time.

Sue - Hope you manage to fit some sketching in - would love to see how your tone studies are going. I always struggle a bit to settle on a good medium for working on tone, so interested to hear what you're trying out.

Joe1 - Great sketching! I like the expressive lines on your person drawing, and your page of objects has some fantastic hatching - I really love the paperclips.

Jo - Excellent hand drawing, and bonus points for not eating the breakfast burrito until you'd sketched it! Hope you have fun at the farm and can grab some sketches there.

Joan - Love your sketch for sweet - fab work on the wrapping - and wonderful colours in your sponge sketch, those bleeding purple edges are terrific.

#12 - Valentine's Day related - Lovey-dovey duck ornament, oil sticks, A1.

valentine.jpg

Joan: Great works. Love your colorful happy kitchen sponge set and also the sweet candy.

Triss: Wow !!! I am so LOVE the duo loving ducks.... Amazing bronze color and texture pettina you captured !!! The fox mug for studio storage is also gorgeously done.

Joe: Thanks... I am learning with you... I have no time for class, excepting reading my library of art books and just dive right in... still lots for me to learn... Love your sketch of the cone.

Jo: Thanks... Enjoy your trip and slow down fun time. Love your ink sketch of breakfast... I love how you feel free with the line. I am too rigid and worry too much of the results.

Sue: Thanks so much for your kind words ... even you don't post a sketch. Hope you find some time to draw or paint.

Joe1: Thank you... glad you find time to post some sketches.... Nice to see them.... I esp. love the head.

Other lurkers: Hello.

Last edited:
We are working in same area Sue. Tone and value are the same. When do you see doctor for your eyes?
joe
Hi Joe, I do know they are the same but something in my brain doesn't compute value so I always think of it as tone - not sure why that makes more sense to me but I'll go with it ;) Have had my assessment appointment, now just waiting for date for the op but as we have to wait for surgeon to come up to the islands I've had no indication of when - other than their hopeful 'shouldn't be too long'

Joan, Triss, Ai, thanks for the nice words.
Joan, they are both beautiful draws .
triss, it's a fantastic painting, and besides, I have a thing for ducks.
if I drew as a child it was for cartoon ducks, and probably today, I always try to draw again because once I liked trying to draw those ducks

Jo, music and animals sound like a fun combination. Hope the rain holds off. Some day I will be desperate for chocolate and that last Lindt truffle will have to be sacrificed. lol

Triss, thanks so much. Love the ducks!!! Wonderful use of color in their bodies and terrific shine!

Ai, thanks for your kind words. Hope things are going well.

Sue, I hope your eye gets taken care of soon. My other eye also needs to be done but it isn't an emergency like the other one. My hubby has been having vision problems and asked me to make an appointment for him (symptoms are similar to mine). We are both going to see the doctor on the same day. If he needs surgery we'll let him get scheduled first and then I'll have my other eye done. Right now my vision is so much better. I still have drops to put in every day, but they are tapering them off slowly. I'm really happy with the results.

Joe 1, glad you found ducks to draw as a child. You seem to have mastered them.

Because of my husband's medical issues he isn't driving any more, so when he wants to go somewhere I get to take him. He wanted to make sure to get me a card and flowers for Valentine's Day, so we headed out to the store yesterday for him to make his purchases.
IMG_9564.jpeg
13 - related to Valentine's Day - watercolors and ink

Thanks Joan, Joe1, and all.

Joan: Gorgeous flowers and nice card sketch. Have a great Valentine day, and everyday... we each has up and down, esp. when it comes to health... but as long as we have a good relationship, that is sure our blessing.

Joe1 - Glad you like ducks, too. I always love your animal drawings and think you have a beautiful touch with them - maybe that grew from your childhood drawings of cartoon ducks!

Joan - Gorgeous Valentine's Day flowers from your husband, and wonderful sketch. Love the coloured outlining - it works brilliantly with the softer watercolour, and all the shapes with the stems are so well done!

Joan, triss, thank you so much for the nice words.
Joan, it's a beautiful gift, wonderful flower arrangement, and you made a beautiful painting of it.

3 Sweet, strawberries,
yesterday I tried to draw strawberries, for me, the first of the year (I had thought of drawing one, without removing it from the box, then I tried to draw others, therefore, always without the box)

4 Something made by man, bed, blanket.

2022-02-13 12-47_pagina_1.jpg
2022-02-13 12-47_pagina_2.jpg

Ai, thank you. Happy Valentine's Day to all of you! I know you are ahead of us and are celebrating today. I hope your day is great!

Triss, thanks! I'm trying to play with some materials that I don't always use. This time I mixed in some Derwent Aquatone watercolor sticks into the mix.

Joe 1, many thanks. I like the cozy look to your bed. The strawberries look good enough to eat...maybe dipped in chocolate too. lol

Joan thanks, very much,
oh, the chocolate, good idea ..., I had already resisted not putting sugar in it,
as a child, I washed strawberries and then covered them with sugar

can I ask something, even if it's off the topic?
an information, to those who have used ipad, if you know, if
, if app music, or app that allows you to listen to mp3 or flac, audio, so you can listen to my cd on the tablet, my doubt and if we can use apps in the backdraund, if we can listen to music with apps in the Background, if it were the computer, reduced to an icon, so as to use the whole screen for app for drawing, for procreate or similar. (or, you have to forcefully divide the screen in 2, I didn't understand this, for music I would use songs I have but I also thought of a streaming app, like spotify, or amazon music)
If this is possible, perhaps I would like to use, often use an ipad tablet instead of a pc.
In the future I should fix PC, or replace it with tablet I was thinking, in practice, I thought perhaps, to leave the computer like this, often use it without a video card, and buy an iPad in the future, for design and things where it lends itself well.
This indication would help me to choose, for now I would not like to take anything for the computer, tablet I was thinking in the summer or at the end of the year, when possible,
in the coming months maybe I write a specific post (in the forum
general topics, or in forums on digital art,), sorry, I'm messing up here.
in practice, I don't know if it's a good idea (I don't have tablets and about computers, I've almost always used computers, desktops, stationary, only once a laptop, for a short time, I remember and that wasn't great, so I should get used to it , actually cell phone, to surf, I often use it instead of the pc), I was thinking about it for a while, use in the future, switch from pc to tablet, maybe ipad eventually, and if it can actually be chosen ok thinking about 80% of the I draw, and listen to music, without music I can no longer try to draw, at least if I am at home.
in my computer, the video card broke, in the last year and a few months, it was giving me problems, only once a month or 2, for a short time I could not use it (time to uninstall and reinstall drivers a few times until they stop flickering or crash), lately, often, I have to use it to disabling video card. sometimes i can't use it. at least for some things.
In practice, the computer, even if I'm not drawing on it, 80% of the time for things related to drawing, art, surfing the forum, looking at references, photos, tutorials. ebook.
The other things are word and streaming, or an app.
In short, the things I can only do with the computer, maybe I can do them by uninstalling the video card, (I would keep the computer but using it less, I meant that, and not replacing, I bought mine 6 years ago, almost 2 years does, however, changed processor and motherboard burned, with 2 similar, however)
now, i don't want to buy video card because i checked, in the last 2 years it is difficult to find them and prices have changed, however, even with a video card, i could spend as much as i spent 6 years ago, but it was new at the time, and for 4 years it went very well and the components were therefore recent and actually compatible even if assembled, after replacements.
then I thought that ipad could be an alternative to the computer, if drawing is more comfortable (I think so, with the computer I find it difficult to draw from life, I think it would be easier, even to draw in other rooms, with paper in other rooms sometimes for lighting I don't see well what I draw or struggle with my shadow ...), if I would hear the music better and show or film I would see them better, I think it would be a good solution, but I have some doubts so I wanted to talk about it before deciding, ask for advice even to those who do not use digital, the doubts are those written before and also on the use, and also on the purchase, there are no apple stores in my region, in the nearby shops I have not seen some models for years and I was thinking about amazon but I'm not sure.

sorry ot

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Triss, awww, the lovey ducks are fabulous.

Joan, such a sweet Valentine story and paintings. I like the outlined flowers. Beautiful.

joe1lt, oh, the bed looks so comfy. The strawberries are just right. Great lines. I see you sketched on coasters, fun. I love my iPad, you can definitely have iTunes on in the background on any apple product. The new ones with the interactive pencil are great for drawing. I still tend to use my computer for typing and reading on the "big screen" but I think you can do many things (most things) on the iPad. They take good photos. The "notes" part lets you write cursive with your hand on the tablet and some of the drawing apps let you do that as well. Otherwise it is "touch" screen and you have to keep your hand up off the screen. Most apps that work on your phone will work on the iPad, some are a bit different. You can use a bluetooth keyboard but still have to touch the screen for many things. Have fun, whichever way you go.

I sketched at home. It was too cold and rainy to go to the meadery. I was watching TV so not too careful with my lines. Ha. In the big regular sketchbook with a Pilot ballpoint pen.

Number 9 related to Valentines and Number 10 open book

csshfl12valentine.jpg

Joe1 - Love the perspective on the bed, and great shapes for the strawberries. I've never been a Mac person (so I have Windows/Android equivalents), but you won't have a problem listening to background music while you draw on any tablet - it's just as easy as on your PC. As for switching from a desktop to a tablet - I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. I don't do much digital stuff now, but I wouldn't personally swap my PC & Wacom for a tablet & pen. Tablets are great for portability, but I prefer the desktop software options, speed, bigger screens, & larger Intuos tablet for anything more complicated - but I do struggle more than most people with small stuff. I have no idea how anyone sketches on their phones! Hope you keep going with your digital art whatever you decide, I think you're doing some great stuff.

Jo - Sorry it was too wet for your trip out, but loving your shading on today's sketches, and the slightly askew lines on the puzzle book are fab - they give it extra interest!

#13 - Person - sub: dog. Dog2's become much keener on hanging out in the kitchen by the easel since we had the dog biscuit still life. She's not getting that much better at sitting still, though! Oil sticks, A1.

people.jpg

Joan - thanks for the list. Sorry I didn't get to do more for this hunt. Your prompts are great :) I'm distracted keeping an eye on things and don't get to the sketching. Yay people! Yay beach grass! Yahoo veggies on the tea towel. You "saw" the eye doctor - 20/20 - fantastic! I can recall people who wore glasses for many years suddenly not needing glasses anymore - likely due to this cataract surgery. It's amazing what they can do. Mmm candy. Good sponge holder. Yahoo florals!

Triss - love your beverage/edible mug and apples - feels so free. I recognize that bulb shape for a kong :) I hear you about greedy dogs. There is one I watch who lies beside a bowl of food and whines for more treats - I call it the "I'm not fat enough" song :) Yahoo paint tube, ink bottle, and pastel. And thank you. Oh look at all those yummy bottles of paint. Oh yay the for mug is so cute. (You've sketched this before, yes?) This is not related to the current hunt but: What brand is your blue violin? Is it plastic or wood? How many years have you been playing? Yay love those lovey-dovey ducks! Also love the blues in the face of Dog2. How long did she sit still for?

Jo - good kitchen still life. What dish do you use Cumin in? Thank you! A tailgate sketch ... its like a tailgate party without the football and beer! Mmm I'm hungry - how can you stop mid meal to sketch the food? I can't do that :)

Anne - thank you. I'm lazy, lol. Good acurite timer (kitchen timer?). That spray bottle seems like it might be the cobalt-blue glass kind? Speaking of sweet bananas, have you ever smelled BBQ-bananas? I knew someone who asked if I could smell the area ... "it smells sweet, like BBQ-bananas..." I said I could smell something but I didn't know what BBQ bananas smell like.

Ai - oh wow this is a fanastic digi of Tone! You did this on a phone? You must have a large screen! Yay kitty bell ornament and glass bottle with cork stopper. Groovy shaped tea can and I love the sunset colours on your page withthe leaf and sculpture sketch. Thank you.

Joe - good for you taking further courses in art. I don't see the flaws. Just lovely. You had fun, yes? That's all that matters :)

Jean - how fun for the journalling!

joe1lt - yay clips! And do I spot Lamy pens? Yay strawberries!

Sue - thank you

Jo, Triss, EP, thank you very much for the nice words on the drawings,
Jo, thanks for the useful clarifications, clarifications and advice on ipad, thank you very much.
I really like both designs, n.9 and 10.
Triss, thank you very much for the important help and your feelings,
fantastic dog portrait,

Ep, yes, yes, it's lamy safari

Back