S n S

Bongo

Thought I'd dredge up this oldie but oldie of mine as it seemed appropriate for the season.
acrlyic on 22"x26" Yupo

SnS crop.jpg

So just before an image gets placed on your post you'll see it in a slightly cropped form. It looked a lot better to me that way so I cropped it to match - fortunately the original painting is on Yupo so I can go back now and cut the painting down. It's amazing how many times when I'm prepping an image to be posted I'll see an improved cropped version.

I love it Bongo! Can you expound on painting on Yupo? It's those thin transparent paper sheets, no? I have a book of them but have never tried them. It looks like you have made a lot of thick texture here. How jhoo do dat? :)

Thanks everyone -
Yupo is a paper made of 100% polypropylene. It comes it different weights and sizes - translucent and opaque. I've only used the opaque - it's kinda pricey by the sheet - I bought it by the 60" x 10 yards roll. So with a roll you always have it on hand, and can make any size you want as much as you need and it takes virtually no space.

I paint with acrylics and you can paint directly on it, but there is a learning curve- very slippery. Fun, and can get some cool effects, stays wet longer so you can do some wet in wet, including "fingerpaint".
whiteline web.jpg

acrylic on 20"x20" Yupo

But I ended up mostly using it by first laying down two coats of gesso. You get a perfectly smooth, toothy, absorbent surface. That's what I did with SnS. You can also paint over it - pretty sure this was one I painted over. I've painted over 3 or 4 times - you can still roll it up after you're done. I have about 2 hundred 30"x40" paintings I store flat in a box I made that's just 4" high! Before that I just kept them rolled up, or slid them under the couch. So no more storage problems.

Last edited:
Great advice! Thank you for the info Bongo. I really appreciate it. When you want to display them in a show, do you just frame them?

Framing is a problem and why I switched to painting on panels. First,, you need a panel to mount it on - so that adds to the cost of painting on Yupo. For large paintings like I mostly have --30" x40 " it's a very scary thing to do. You'll find out that most glues do NOT work with polypropylene - they'll say that in the fine print on the can. So that leaves few options. Using gel medium is often recommended but I've had mixed results - the painting often peeling right off after a day or two. There are a few spray glues that can work with Yupo -Loctite High Performance is one - and it's archival. But I don't have the nerves or skill to roll out a big painting - too easy to screw up. So I use double stick tape to a panel. Never had one come un-stuck after years on the wall. For smaller paintings I would give the gel medium a try.

I like using a gel medium (Nova Color Polymer Gel-matte) on my canvases after I prime them to take some of the tooth out. I prefer a smoother surface, so I like working with that gel stuff. I suppose I like canvases and panels (on bars) so it's easier to hang and don't have to frame it, but I do have quite the storage problem. I've painted over a few pieces, but I'm thinking about painting over a lot more as soon as I run out of blanks.

fantastic couple, beautiful work, and also the other, how nice, thanks for posting them

Thanks people!

Santa's sled was designed to carry enough gifts for the children in the small village where he was from. Today it is woefully undersized to meet world demands.

There are approximately 2 billion young children in the world.
Assuming half of them are good - that leaves 1 billion.
Assuming half of them are in countries that believe in Santa - that leaves 500 million..

Assuming Santa takes performance enhancing drugs and delivers presents for 24 hours straight - that's still 20,800 presents an hour. Even with gps, google maps, and a Tesla truck - he's going to need help. So Santa went to the Fortress of Solitude and asked Superman, his fellow North Polian, for help.

Hey Bongo -

A nice painting, timely and enjoyable with a good backstory.

Thanks for the great info on yupo & storage/framing, not to mention tips on technique.

Your experience with the plastic and gluing is about the same as mine; still trying things

Don't you have problems with the painted sheets sticking together in the storage box ?

Merry - -

No sticking - and surprisingly no mold considering they're in a non-temperature controlled room with hi humidity (Seattle).

60" x10 yard roll o Yupo is $113 at Dick Blicks. You can get eighteen 30"x40" out of that for $6.28 ea. Not too bad - with hardboard it would be $1.67 to $2.50 depending on what kind you bought. But no comparison with ease of use -Yupo is hassle free (no more 4'x8' sheets to cut up) and no storage issues.

Legion - the company that makes Yupo gives ZIP helpful info to artists. At least when I was using it - selling Yupo to artists was(is) a tinnie/weenie part of their business. Mounting info you'll find on youtube etc. is about mounting small, raw non-painted pieces.

No sticking - and surprisingly no mold considering they're in a non-temperature controlled room with hi humidity (Seattle).

60" x10 yard roll o Yupo is $113 at Dick Blicks. You can get eighteen 30"x40" out of that for $6.28 ea. Not too bad - with hardboard it would be $1.67 to $2.50 depending on what kind you bought. But no comparison with ease of use -Yupo is hassle free (no more 4'x8' sheets to cut up) and no storage issues.

Legion - the company that makes Yupo gives ZIP helpful info to artists. At least when I was using it - selling Yupo to artists was(is) a tinnie/weenie part of their business. Mounting info you'll find on youtube etc. is about mounting small, raw non-painted pieces.

thanks for the additional info, I have high humidity also, but with high temps for many months and I am too cheap to run the ac much = sticky and some mold.

I'm pretty sure I've been through there once upon a time. Lovely city. I traveled through there and Lafayette playing music.

Back