Recent art that you liked

Here is another nice one by Etcheverry.
4717481C-9CD9-4DA3-B051-0E932B6DAF47.jpeg

I just stumbled upon this painting twice recently... and a rather "Freudian" deviant theme it has:

VéberManwithDolls.jpg

Jean Véber- Man with Dolls

Madness and insanity were frequent subjects in 19th-century art and literature. At the end of the century, Symbolist artists tried to express their deepest emotions and dreams, often strange and fantastic, sometimes close to madness. In representing a man living in an imaginary world and rejecting reality, Véber is close to the Symbolist ideas. Among the various dolls we see the figure of "Victory" with her laurel wreath crown (held by the man), the Virgin Mary, and Athena. As he plays with these dolls while ignoring the real woman is he bringing them to life ala a modern and disturbing Pygmalion? I suspect the Surrealists... especially Hans Belmer... would have loved this painting.

I just stumbled upon this painting twice recently... and a rather "Freudian" deviant theme it has:

View attachment 15458
Jean Véber- Man with Dolls

Madness and insanity were frequent subjects in 19th-century art and literature. At the end of the century, Symbolist artists tried to express their deepest emotions and dreams, often strange and fantastic, sometimes close to madness. In representing a man living in an imaginary world and rejecting reality, Véber is close to the Symbolist ideas. Among the various dolls we see the figure of "Victory" with her laurel wreath crown (held by the man), the Virgin Mary, and Athena. As he plays with these dolls while ignoring the real woman is he bringing them to life ala a modern and disturbing Pygmalion? I suspect the Surrealists... especially Hans Belmer... would have loved this painting.
That is very disturbing, alright!!!

I like the disturbed-ness of this thing. She almost lays dead in a way as well, the way she is flopping off the bed. It's a weird one alright. And well painted in a style (not one I'm so fond of), but of course very beautifully.

I can't remember if I've shared this guy with you all yet, but I've been following him on Instagram for a while since he's made a debut in LA. His name is Terek Sebastian Alshamma and I am in love with his paintings!

terek1.jpg

https___hypebeast.com_image_2021_09_tarek-sebastian-al-shammaa-three-green-stars-but-no-stripe...jpg

https___hypebeast.com_image_2021_09_tarek-sebastian-al-shammaa-three-green-stars-but-no-stripe...jpg

Tower-of-Babel-2016-Acrylic-and-oil-on-canvas-183-x-184-cm-Courtesy-the-artist.jpg

YOU-CAN-LEAVE-BUT-IT-GOING-TO-COST-YOU-2017-Oil-acrylic-graphite-gold-leaf-on-canvas-160-x-170.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg

This is reminiscent of Hans Bellmer, whose art you most probably like as well.

Back in art school I spent some time seduced by the Surrealists... reading André Breton, Georges Bataille, Paul Éluard, etc... and looking a good deal at Dali, Miro, Remedios Varo, Max Ernst, and Hans Bellmer... among others. With time I found Bellmer, especially, too extreme... too close to "shock art". Having said this, I have to admit that his drawings and etchings have an exquisite quality of line.

H4580-L66338993.jpg

Le Tricorne, a tapestry believed to be the largest Pablo Picasso painting in the world, will be on display once again in New York City. The 20-by-19-feet work, which the artist painted as a stage curtain for an avant-garde theater troupe in 1919, had been hung in a hallway at the Four Seasons on Park Avenue since 1959. Its new home will be the New-York Historical Society, on Central Park West.

download.jpg

There are elements in this painting that remind me of Spanish Romanesque paintings which were a huge influence on paintings such as Les Demoiselles d'Avignon and Guernica.

Not my favorite style: Photorealism... but I must say I am quite impressed considering the scale and the media ballpoint pen!
Yeah, I can certainly appreciate the skill involved in the creation of these pieces, but I'm totally turned off by them. Trash-flash. Yuck. Just my reaction. ;) I'm sure he's gotten rich from these.

reviewing this statue
I was reminded of Desforges post with another wonderful veiled statue.
this is realized by Sammartino.
The sculptor has managed, working on a single block of marble, to give life to a life-size statue (180x80x50 cm) which represents the lifeless body of Jesus Christ lying on a bed and covered with an extraordinary transparent marble veil.

artist is Sammartino (o Sanmartino), Giuseppe. - Scultore (Napoli 1720 - ivi 1793)

1640467155767.png

Back