Recent art that you liked

Colossal Statue of a Pharaoh. Egyptian, Middle Kingdom, Dynasty 12, reign of Amenemhat II ca. 1919–1885 B. C.

well the writing on it may be from a later time than the sculpture

they think the pyramids are recent, whereas they're definitely not

I think I'll take the educated opinion of the majority of archeologists and historians over a few outsiders.

By the way... the earth is not flat and COVID-19 is not a Hoax.

Here's something that a friend shared on Facebook a few days ago that I liked:

106940314_4061026637272689_4221536149184161297_n.jpg

A young French artist who mainly has a presence on Instagram, as far as I can tell. Orphne Acheron. https://www.instagram.com/orphne_acheron/

She has some drawings w/more of a photorealistic style, but I don't like those as much as these illustrations. Her use of gold marker really makes them pop.

I think I'll take the educated opinion of the majority of archeologists and historians over a few outsiders.

By the way... the earth is not flat and COVID-19 is not a Hoax.

Our pal JE is a subscriber to some, erm, unconventional ideas. :)

I no longer get dragged into debates about such things. I find that I can live well enough irrespective of what other people believe. Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. :)

3.jpg

I've been familiar with Serge Marshennikov's paintings for some time. Most of his paintings until recently have been nudes or near nudes. But the last few paintings posted to his various social media accounts and gallery websites have included some marvelous portraits:

SergeMarshennikov.700.jpg

sergemarshen3.700.jpg

SergeMarshennikov2.700.jpg

Last edited:
Laiterie de la Reine:

I've seen Pierre Julien's sculpture of Amalthea a number of times over the years...

Amalthea_Julien_Louvre.700.jpg

But I have only ever seen images of the sculpture in the Louvre. I never saw the work within the whole installation that it was intended for.

Château_de_Rambouillet_2013.800.jpg

The sculpture was originally housed within the Château de Rambouillet, also known in English as the Castle of Rambouillet, a château in the town of Rambouillet. The château was a fortified royal manor dating back to 1368. In 1783, the château became the private property of King Louis XVI, who bought it from his cousin, the duc de Penthièvre, as an extension of his hunting grounds. Queen Marie-Antoinette, who was ever the arrogant snob, is said to have exclaimed: "Comment pourrais-je vivre dans cette gothique crapaudière!" (How could I live in such a gothic toadhouse!) To induce his wife to like his new acquisition, Louis XVI commissioned in great secret the construction of the renowned Laiterie de la Reine, (the Queen's dairy), with the presiding nymph... a marble Amalthea, accompanied by the goat that nurtured Jupiter, sculpted by Pierre Julien. Amalthea was a nymph who hid and nurtured the infant god, Zeus in a cave in Cretan Mount Aigaion. In the tradition represented by Hesiod's Theogony, Chronos (God of Time) swallowed all of his children immediately after birth. Zeus' mother, the goddess Rhea, deceived her brother-consort Cronus by giving him a stone wrapped to look like a baby instead of Zeus. In order that Cronus should not hear the wailing of the infant, Amalthea gathered about the cave armed dancers to dance, shout, and clash their spears against their shields.

a3c044162519c728152ad80030976259.jpg

523318de9dc50d3d70505cf48d3b0eaf.jpg

The installation in the surrounding architecture is way more impressive to me than the sculpture itself.

sculpture of Amalthea ...
I may sound naive, but the only context I've Ever heared the name "Amalthea" before, was in "The Last Unicorn" by Peter S. Beagle.
Now I have a new "apropos" to research coming from this community ... again.

Back