Recent art that you liked

I sort of like this creepy one:

107302155_3070174916397651_8250414926115910740_n.700.jpg

-Steven DaLuz: Each Other (oil and wire on wood panel)

xie, this picture is magnificent.
It doesn't look at all like a [quote:] "simply pretty painting"; as it is Not "pretty" (like "neat" and "nice").
It's beautiful, yes, but not in a pretty-nice way.

Maybe "simply pretty painting" isn't the best way of describing what I meant. I do think the works are very beautiful simply in terms of how Liu handles the media, the texture, color, etc. Children, along with animals, or flowers, are in my eyes those perennial subjects just about everyone enjoys. But there's more subtext to what she is doing than all this (which would be fine enough on its own).

Here's another one:

liu2.jpg

I sort of like this creepy one
Must confess: I like it too, but don't see anything "creepy" in it.
Just the usual interference of the real world with an individuum.
Here's another one:
My next confession: In this new example, I don't feel anything.
Maybe it was the extreme line-over in your first example, that really caught me. I dunno.

There is a HURT in the first one, that is absent in this other.
It definitely is not because the girl is black.
It could be - easily - her face-expression and also the whole pose. But I think the real main impact - for me - is the non-cuteness of the line-over.

A good majority of the finest painterly painter have an incredible skill in painting or drawing in a far more polished or controlled manner.

Yes, indeed. In fact, some ability to paint realistically is kind of required in order to do the painterly thing really effectively. Here's one of Vink's other pieces:

Lute Vink - Elephant and egrets 2017.jpg

His work manages to be both painterly and realistic. I have seen some of it in person. In fact, I briefly met him, just pre-Covid, at a local gallery. I was chatting to the manager, when in walked this hobo, barefoot and dressed in shabby, dirty clothes. Would he get chased out of the fancy gallery? No. Turned out it was the great man himself. :)

It reminded me of something Nassim Taleb said: a person should not look like his profession. If, say, a doctor obviously looks like a doctor, it might in fact be all looks and no skill, whereas if he looks like a stone mason, you may be more sure that his reputation is based on actual skill rather than mere appearance. Same thing with artists: the ones who make the biggest show of being artists (fashionable clothes, beret at a dapper angle, drink only the most expensive wines and coffee, cultivate "eccentricities" and of course liberally sprinkle their speech with Artspeak) often do not produce very impressive work. But this guy need not pretend - his work can speak for itself.

He also got involved in some or other illustration project once...

Lute Vink - Jungle book.jpg

Xie, I really love that painting. It does have a kind of subtext there without you having to make any mention of it, but I wouldn't be able to put my finger on it. It's in the brushstrokes and the technique, or perhaps (equally) in the subject matter/facial expression and whatever is behind the innocence in the child. Innocence lost? There is something sad going on.

Brian, I like Vink as well.

You can never judge a book by its cover. I have noticed, probably 80% of the time, truly, that big collectors of art are very eccentric and dress all kind of weird or down. They can look disheveled. You'd never know they were wealthy, or had some kind trust, or ran some corporation, or were philanthropists, etc. At times, I've sat in my gallery with the staff while people walk in an out, sometimes buying work, and I'd think they were homeless. Nope, they'd be there to shell out $20k for a painting or a photograph. The director would tell me, that was so-and-so, a major person of notoriety, and I'd never would have guessed it in a million years.

Many collectors of my own are very odd people. You'd think them artists themselves, but I think collectors of any kind, not just art, are eccentric. People who collect little tea cups or vintage toys, Disney memorabilia, or whatever. They are all a little weird.

I think collectors of any kind, not just art, are eccentric. People who collect little tea cups or vintage toys, Disney memorabilia, or whatever. They are all a little weird.
Agreed. They are - in a good way.
It takes an ability to value seemingly ordinary things to be a collector of them.

You can never judge a book by its cover. I have noticed, probably 80% of the time, truly, that big collectors of art are very eccentric and dress all kind of weird or down. They can look disheveled. You'd never know they were wealthy, or had some kind trust, or ran some corporation, or were philanthropists, etc. At times, I've sat in my gallery with the staff while people walk in an out, sometimes buying work, and I'd think they were homeless. Nope, they'd be there to shell out $20k for a painting or a photograph.

That is absolutely true. When I was co-owner and curator of a gallery I saw this repeatedly. One incident I remember well involved a guy who came to visit our gallery on the Saturday following the Friday opening. He was dressed in blue jeans with a couple of patches and wearing cheap sneakers. He had two kids in tow... dressed no better. He signed the visitors' book before leaving about a half-hour after arriving. My gallery partner said "Don't worry about him. He don't have any money. Look at how he dressed." I pointed out that he lived on South Park in Shaker Heights... where some of the wealthiest Clevelanders live. He insisted... it's probably further down the road... in the cheaper neighborhoods or the apartments. I sent a postcard anyway. He came back and I found out that he was the head of the psychiatric department in one of the big hospitals. He had a preference for black and white gestural minimalism (like Frans Kline) and black and white photographs. He bought several prints in this style for $1800 each. Yep, never judge a book by its cover.🙃

One of the biggest collectors I ever had who probably dropped the most money on me (but is part of a horrible story I didn't get to finish which I started telling on another thread) came to my studio for a visit and wanted to see everything in my studio. He arrived with shitty sneakers and a stained shirt holding an old canvas book bag. I learned within the hour, he had print-outs from my website of a few he wanted to start out with. He looked at so much stuff. Stayed for hours making a pile and I thought he was just wasting my time.

He left with 12 paintings and about 15 drawings, paid half in cash and the rest with a check. When he asked, "how much for all these?" I nearly died. He came back several times and to a gallery show and bought every time.

But later...a story that was not good.

Sophie Prestigiacomo's Swamp Creatures

These swamp sculptures are made of mud and algae by French sculptor Sophie Prestigiacomo. Imagine coming across these by yourself at twilight! o_O

"Homus Algus"

Love it. Seems to be part of the fashion for creating ephemeral art, and there is something to be said for it. But yes, you don't want to get lost one evening, and then stumble upon these while looking for someone to give you directions. :)

I love them! I agree, not something you would want to encounter in the dark.

Those swamp things are creepy. I've been watching Hannibal lately, and I just keep thinking I'd be coming up on...I don't know!

Back