Recent art that you liked

I don't know if any actress I've seen has been so beautiful it hurts, but far as me going weak in the knees, Michelle Pfeiffer in The Fabulous Baker Boys does it every time.

We now return you to the thread topic.

Last edited:
2xKlimt_Pan-Psyche_detail-small.jpg
This is so beautifully sad.
I've never seen Pan portrayed as an old man without any lust or virility or the slightest attempt to lively action. So true, so sad. Perfect.

I've loved Jonas Woods work for years and had that last one on my bulletin board in my old studio for inspiration.

I like them, but I don't think I like them for the same reasons I like them, cel shading, which reminds me a little.

I think of those video games or cel-shaded films, the 3d computer graphics I prefer, especially in their beginning the 3d cartoons, the 3d graphics did not take me so much,
instead I usually love cel-shading, especially this one.

1598458124636.png

1598458142045.png
1598458124636.png1598458142045.png

119472934_3597898410253977_2718428394669905630_n.700.jpg

107993259_3405143192862834_5889347773884642428_n.700.jpg

A couple recent works by one of my Facebook "friends", Edgar Jerins: both portraits of one his daughters.

118837940_10158576007699399_69500497772638104_n (1).jpg

Another Facebook "friend" is Leonard Koscianski, an artist I have been following since I first stumbled upon his work in art school in a book on Post-Modernism. I later discovered that he was a graduate of my alma-mater a generation before me. This is his latest painting.

117772905_10223682211387128_3291742581662982529_o.800.jpg

And yet another Facebook "friend" is an artist I have been following for more than a decade: Michael Bergt. Obviously, this is a variation on Manet's Olympia (which itself was a variation on Titian's Venus d'Urbino). In the light of the recent racial tensions and protests, Bergt intentionally inverted the relationship between Manet's black maid and white "Venus". The painting in gouache and color pencil.

View attachment 4526

Another Facebook "friend" is Leonard Koscianski, an artist I have been following since I first stumbled upon his work in art school in a book on Post-Modernism. I later discovered that he was a graduate of my alma-mater a generation before me. This is his latest painting.

I like his work; he takes a theme normally painted in pretty manner, and somehow manages to make it look slightly ominous. I suppose I should take him to court though for stealing my photo to use as reference... :D

2020 Monarch  butterfly in grass DSC_0884.JPG

One of my great friends, Leigh Salgado:

Now you certainly knew I would love Leigh Salgado's work, Arty. I had to immediately rush over and do a Google Image search on her Art. ♥

I rather like this guy's depictions of small towns slowly falling apart, as the rural economy crumbles and everyone moves to big cities. He has done a whole series of abandoned pools:

Willem Pretorius - Abandoned Pool, Jagersfontein, oil on canvas, 58cm x 40cm.jpg

Willem Pretorius - Abandoned Pool, Jagersfontein, oil on canvas, 58cm x 40cm.

I rather like this guy's depictions of small towns slowly falling apart, as the rural economy crumbles and everyone moves to big cities.

That's been an issue for a long time. I remember reading a book on the development of Modernist Art in France. The author put forth some interesting statistics: within a rather short period of time 7 out of 10 residents of rural France left. 6 moved to Paris and one to the US. The dichotomy between rural, suburban, and urban America has long been played by politicians. That pool almost looks like something you'd find in abandoned urban neighborhoods here.

I rather like this guy's depictions of small towns slowly falling apart, as the rural economy crumbles and everyone moves to big cities.

That's been an issue for a long time. I remember reading a book on the development of Modernist Art in France. The author put forth some interesting statistics: within a rather short period of time 7 out of 10 residents of rural France left. 6 moved to Paris and one to the US. The dichotomy between rural, suburban, and urban America has long been played by politicians. That pool almost looks like something you'd find in abandoned urban neighborhoods here.

People think I'm crazy, but I just love such scenes of almost post-apocalyptic-looking decay. On my bucket list is a visit to Chernobyl and environs.:)

I have a few of Leigh's works. Smaller ones. One I got before we became close friends, and some afterward. She is married to another friend of ours, critic Mat Gleason who runs Coagula Projects.

I fully agreed with her comment on men's clothing in the video. One of the main reasons I didn't take portraiture in art school is because I hated those endless tonal portraits of guys in bland shirts and pants. Degas stated that the reason he liked the ballet was because he liked painting pretty girls in motion dressed in beautiful clothing. While the teachers in portraiture emphasized painters like Velazquez and Rembrandt I preferred Rubens, Van Dyck, Ingres, the painters of the Renaissance, Boucher, etc... with their stunning clothing. It's part of why I love comic book superheroes, fashion, burlesque, etc...

tumblr_mq18hvQLEC1r1vfbso1_640.jpg

Descending Night, by Adolph Alexander Weinman (1870-1952) was commissioned for San Francisco’s Panama-Pacific International Exposition in 1915. It is 26 inches high (66 cm). Weinman received a steady income from smaller reproductions of it for the rest of his life. I was surprised to find the piece was as small as it is because it reminds me of any number of funerary sculpture.

I have a book of incredible grave statues. (I think I still have it?) Some of them are so beautiful they'd make you weep. This sort of reminds me of one of those.

I'd like to introduce my good friend Mark Steven Greenfield. He works in a variety of media, and I will include his artist's statement. I've known him for many years and he's been both a mentor and a loyal friend to me.

My work concerns itself with the complexities of the African American experience in contemporary society. The work often involves my interpretation of the process by which images are formed in the subconscious. It is my contention that we borrow from this subliminal well on the conscious level and alternately navigate through various layers of consciousness to reach the source of our spiritual selves. My initial exploration of this theoretical phenomenon was realized in work, which dealt with the psychological effect associated with African American stereotypes as characterized by blackface minstrelsy and black cartoon characters from the 1930’s and 40’s. My scope has broadened to include explorations of dualities in contemporary society with references to African spiritual practices of the Eguns and tropes that make use of both positive and negative energies. The process is dependent on a methodology akin to “automatic writing” where line becomes positive energy in an interplay with negative space to create a neutral field. The work has evolved into abstraction relying on the spontaneous manifestation of ideas and the tactile manipulation of medium in a form of mental mapping.

HitMe.jpg

Okeh.jpg

HeyHeyItsYourBirthday.jpg

Stowaways.jpg

broom12fps.gif

Front.jpg

Greenfield++Oct+10+2018+2+copy.jpg

Back