Published Books of Watercolours

Wow, thanks so much for making these beautiful paintings available to us!

John,
Were you active on Wetcanvas?
Also, I like the style of some of your Book 5 paintings. A small tutorial on how you achieve that would be of great interest.

John,
Were you active on Wetcanvas?
Also, I like the style of some of your Book 5 paintings. A small tutorial on how you achieve that would be of great interest.
Yes Claude I was and posted many help and technical assistance answers there, it looks as if nowadays it seems to have died somewhat.
Many of those were a development from my more straightforward paintings which were mostly onsite, I was fitter and hardier then. Many of these earlier paintings were on earlier school holidays when we motored and camped all over Europe, very adventurous times mostly before we joined the EU. Prices were high so we ate out no more than once a week for a great treat. My wife kept notes of all the places we went to and someday I might put them into a book. I have become a small publisher and have some you can read online. Go to this page URL and by double clicking on the book cover you can read them on line: Millrind books
Let me know how you got on with them.
John

If you go to : Book 5 and turn to page 34 this is a composite abstract from two drawings made one on top of the other from two separate photographs I took in Stratford on Avon. Each one was slightly altered in the drawing and the result is the watercolour.

P1000438 (resized).jpg
P1000447 (resized).jpg
773 Coffee Stratford (resized).jpg

I do that at times. I use layers in adobe to get the image I want to use as reference. Depending on the pieces I use it gives some decent ideas. Is that your approach?

When I can get round to it I'll put some Illustrated talks that were kindly reproduced in two double paged spreads in "Paint" the SAA magazine which will show some of my approach, meanwhile if you go to my book which you can read on line, it will tell you a lot about me and my approach, I hope you may find it helpful. Esssays on Painting
John

I've made a PDF of the SAA articles and here it is:

Attachments

• SAA Smallest.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
Gorgeous work! I can see why you felt compelled to publish them, an urge many of us fail to heed, I'm afraid, because of the cemetery of great unread self-published works. Ah well. At least you have those and someday someone will recognize them.

What is SAA Magazine? I scrolled up to see if I could find where you mentioned it and wasn't able to find it.

What is SAA Magazine? I scrolled up to see if I could find where you mentioned it and wasn't able to find it.
The SAA is now basically a marketing firm: SAA which stands for Society for All Artists. It used to be called Society for Amateur Artists but it is more ambitious nowadays as it includes professionals and it still has a large membership. Memberships which you pay for give you access to their many activities. I used to subscribe to their gold membership them because they offered a very good Public Liability Insurance which I needed when I was lecturing to Art Clubs and Societies in the Home Counties. I am now just reduced to the humblest of ordinary members. They produce a monthly magazine called "Paint". They claim to offer merchandise which is cheaper. The reason I stay as a member is they currently offer free delivery.
John

Gorgeous work! I can see why you felt compelled to publish them, an urge many of us fail to heed, I'm afraid, because of the cemetery of great unread self-published works. Ah well. At least you have those and someday someone will recognize them.
Thank you Bart I have more to put on when I can.

There are many published books that showcase watercolor paintings and the works of watercolor artists. Some of the most popular and well-known books include:

• "Watercolor Secrets" by Sharon Finmark
  • "Watercolor Painting Outside the Lines" by C.C. Weiss
  • "The Watercolorist's Essential Notebook" by Gordon MacKenzie
  • "Watercolor for the Absolute Beginner" by Mark Willenbrink and Mary Willenbrink
  • "The Complete Watercolorist's Essential Notebook" by Sharon Finmark
  • "Watercolor Made Simple" by Sharon Finmark
  • "The Watercolorist's A to Z of Trees and Foliage" by Adelene Fletcher
  • "Painting Watercolor Flowers That Sparkle" by Sharon Finmark
  • "The Watercolorist's Guide to Painting Buildings" by Sharon Finmark
  • "The Watercolorist's Garden" by Susan Harrison-Tustain
These books offer a wide range of techniques, tips, and inspiration for watercolor artists of all levels, from beginners to more advanced painters. They cover a variety of subjects, including landscapes, portraits, still life, and more, and showcase the works of both contemporary and classic watercolor artists.

Well done Navigupta, in these high tech days many people nowadays do not understand the advantages of going to books over using search engines which prioritise selling over divulging useful information.
Reading a book and having not only the time to easily refer back to it and knowing where to go but also to learn from the people who have the advantage of first-hand knowledge about the subject. Books have lasted many centuries and will continue to do so.

Back