Providence Canyon

Terri

Supporting Member
This was taken in south Georgia. The canyon itself is eroded sandstone. We were hiking around on a very hot day - perfect for shooting HIE infrared film. I used a #25 red filter on the lens. Made a silver gelatin print and hand painted it with photo oils, leaving the sky alone other than a little touch on the clouds.

ProvidenceCanyon.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Om my god-----WOW!!! This is simply outstanding. Love the limited palette. It looks antique. You did just enough on those clouds. I want to know how big the gelatin print is. What an amazing scene. ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Thanks so much, Arty! Yes, sometimes hand painting really changes a mood, it's fun and and amazing when you can see it developing while you work.

Let's see. This one is 11x14, Agfa MCC matte finish paper. Discontinued now, and so is the IR film, so this piece wouldn't be possible today. A shame, I had made several of these prints, painted them and sold them all at art fairs.

Just tidbits that add to my personal hell with photography. 😆

Lol, I haven’t the faintest idea how to appreciate this kind of work except to say I like it! The atmosphere is very dramatic and that’s a really interesting configuration of rocks!

Lol, I haven’t the faintest idea how to appreciate this kind of work except to say I like it! The atmosphere is very dramatic and that’s a really interesting configuration of rocks!
Thank you, Maureen! Infrared photography can deliver very dramatic results. :)

Love the muted colors; they heighten that dreamscape effect of infrared. Very nicely done!

Great shot. I lived in Georgia most of my life. I always intended to go photograph Providence Canyon. A lot of my photographer club peeps did.

Infrared can penetrate the foggy weather, revealing details that would be invisible for ordinary panchromatic films as well as our eyes.
Red filters cut out blue light, leaving warmer parts of the spectrum to form the photo. They increase the contrast of the clouds and the sky. I think this effect would be more pronounced with panchromatic negatives. Anyway, IR balance is different than that of the visible light.

I like the idea of coloring the photo. It gives a harmony of hues in the lower half, a more serein character contrasting with the dramatic contrasts on the sky. It is pity that the paper is discontinued. You could make a series of such pictures trying different color schemes. Of course the usual argument by many would be "all this could be easier with digital".

Thank you! I agree about the loss of that Agfa MCC paper. The texture was hard to beat. There's a company out there that still claims it will produce batches of the stuff: both glossy (not interested) and the matte. It was available briefly before the pandemic, I *think.*

Of course the usual argument by many would be "all this could be easier with digital"
Which would be a fine argument if "easy" was the point. ;)

Back