Kodachrome Basin

Terri

Supporting Member
I wasn't sure where to post this, but since it's by and large a photo, this wins the turkey.

This started out as a printout of an infrared shot of Kodachrome Basin, with Kodak HIE film. I printed it out on plain white copy paper and first made a gelatin "skin" like the one I described here, but this time, after I coated the image with a couple of layers of gel medium, I painted it. I just bought a set of Golden Open acrylics, they are touted as being slow drying, and I thought this was a good way to test them.

After I was done painting the image, I let it dry overnight and then put another 2 layers of gel medium over the acrylic paint. Once dried completely, I soaked the copy paper that was supporting all of this so I could gently rub off the paper and reveal nothing but the clear gel medium skin, with the painted image embedded within.

Here it is with most of the paper rubbed off (there's a little rip at the top that I fixed later with more gel medium):

Kodachrome IT wip5.jpg

Laid out over a white background, it looks like this:

Kodachrome Basin reshoot.jpg

Since it's transparent, I also laid it over a sheet of yellow cardstock to see what it did with the clear clouds, etc:

Kodachrome IT wip3.jpg

I'm not certain how I'll mount it yet. I'll need to trim the white border off. At the moment I'm wondering why I send myself down these rabbit holes. :LOL:

All comments are welcomed and appreciated - thanks for looking! :)

Lovely shot. Don’t stop trying different colors: the one you would pass by without a thought might be key.

Oh WOW! What an image! It reminds me of here a bit. I think those bushes in the foreground might be called Chaparral? I love this process so much. I like it on both the white and the yellow because each give it a totally different feel and vibe of its own. You are mastering this technique, and it can essentially be all yours...your trademark! ♥️

Lovely shot. Don’t stop trying different colors: the one you would pass by without a thought might be key.
Thank you, Wayne! ❤️ I did have quite a lot of colors out and did a little blending over those bare hills. "Twas fun! But I hear you, and consider you an expert on color. :)

Oh WOW! What an image! It reminds me of here a bit. I think those bushes in the foreground might be called Chaparral? I love this process so much. I like it on both the white and the yellow because each give it a totally different feel and vibe of its own. You are mastering this technique, and it can essentially be all yours...your trademark! ♥️
Thank you, Ayin! ❤️ I'm not certain what all that stuff was, you're probably right about Chaparral, and we were told there was sage-y stuff around, too. :) Still torn on the background color: the yellow is definitely dreamy and imparts that light tone.

I am considering all kinds of backgrounds for this very unique, transparent style. It's fun!

Yay! Terri went down another rabbit hole! This whole process just amazes me and the options you have for colors keeps it fun. Beautiful image, Terri!

Thank you so much, Donna! ❤️ I'm glad you like the results of my rabbit runs, since it seems like that's what I do. :LOL:

Back