Prince of Saiyans

rodhlann

First time working with my new dip pens and I think I prefer them for linework over my micron pens. They definitely aren't as easy to work with but the lines have more character and can be much thinner which I prefer. The paper I decided to try was not particularly great for dip pens.
Shaded with Copic markers.

IMG_20211212_135936~2.jpg

That guy looks ready for action! Is this a character of your own creation?
Dip pens are fun to use, as you're discovering. In skilled hands, they can create a great variety of lines and marks, and you're off to a good start! The shading looks good too. Very cool!

Nope this is Vegeta from the Dragonball Z series 😅 I was a big fan of this series when I was a kid and my uncle always had this perfect drawing of the character on his wall when I'd visit, which was one of the reasons I got in to drawing as a kid. I've only gotten "good" enough to draw characters like this relatively recently, so figured it would be a good candidate for trying out a new tool

nice work! dip pens are super fun and versatile! out of curiosity, what paper did you use? i find my fountain pens react well on Strathmore Bristol Vellum or Bristol Smooth. Dip pens should work similarly.

nice work! dip pens are super fun and versatile! out of curiosity, what paper did you use? i find my fountain pens react well on Strathmore Bristol Vellum or Bristol Smooth. Dip pens should work similarly.
I was using a Strathmore Sketch pad I have some spare pages in. Really just because it's the only loose unruled drawing pad I have on hand right now. It takes copic markers and pencils very well, but it doesn't work as well with dip or micron pens, which are my primary drawing tools.

Back