Lighthouse in Ink and Wash

Joy superb watercolor scene ! What is the technique used for the grass (if I may ask ... 😊😇)? Do you paint then scratch?
Erik, Joe,
I scraped in the grasses and for once, the paper had the correct amount of moisture. The paint has to be relatively "thick" and I had some luck with it this time. Generally, I find there are two types of scrape marks - too early and too late! :D

Erik, Joe,
I scraped in the grasses and for once, the paper had the correct amount of moisture. The paint has to be relatively "thick" and I had some luck with it this time. Generally, I find there are two types of scrape marks - too early and too late! :D
Thanks for the info and the laugh.

Thanks for the info and the laugh.
You're welcome. It was surprising (and flattering!) to be queried on technique. Hubby Jerry keeps reminding me I am to enjoy the process, rather than frustrate myself with the self-imposed struggle. He doesn't paint, however, he makes excellent suggestions on drawings and proportions.

You're welcome. It was surprising (and flattering!) to be queried on technique. Hubby Jerry keeps reminding me I am to enjoy the process, rather than frustrate myself with the self-imposed struggle. He doesn't paint, however, he makes excellent suggestions on drawings and proportions.
Your Jerri sounds like a dear friend who is always saying “it’s all about the journey. Enjoy it.”

Balaji, thanks ever so much for taking the time to look and comment.

Hello Joy. I love your technique.
It reminds me a sketcher / comics artist some ears ago, in another old forum (non existing anymore). I asked him and he told me details on his technique: he used to start by a very light sketch in 3H or 4H pencil on smooth paper, he completed the sketch lines with black Sakura Pigma pens and added color using fine art markers (you know, from those big marker series of 200+ colors). He said this was perhaps expensive compared to other types of color. nevertheless it worked well for him.
Your work is much more detailed and I find it to be closer to the painting side than the sketch.
:)

classic, Thanks ever so much for taking the time to comment and writing such kind words! Improving my watercolors is my goal, but I have great admiration for those who work in many media. And I certainly don't want to become a "collector" of supplies. ;)

And I certainly don't want to become a "collector" of supplies. ;)
Absolutely right. There are other concerns too, e.g. lightfastness. Markers are often used in pictures that will be reproduced and published, so the original is usually hold in the drawers after scanning.
You master so well the "legacy" watercolor technique, you can make wonders with just a pocket box!
(y)

Absolutely right. There are other concerns too, e.g. lightfastness. Markers are often used in pictures that will be reproduced and published, so the original is usually hold in the drawers after scanning.
You master so well the "legacy" watercolor technique, you can make wonders with just a pocket box!
(y)
😊 How very gracious and uplifting! The ones I have binned recently outnumber the "better" efforts.

I thought collecting supplies was an integral part of having art as a hobby? 😎
:D Necessary to any serious endeavor!
He's right... always listen to hubby Jerry :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
;) He certainly is spot on with that particular piece of advice. As a self-professed student of human nature, it has been my observation that we excel in giving others advice.

Love your lighthouse and all other elements in this one, Joy. Yes, we are to 'enjoy the process' for sure but it is nice to get a "keeper" once in awhile, right?

As for how much to ink, this question was answered in one of the Sketchbook Skool kourses I've taken online and the answer was to ink just the immediate subject area with no reason to do entire composition (such as distant clouds, mountains, other objects, etc.) and it does make sense. So I try to remember that for what it is worth.

Thanks, Kay, that is excellent advice. You have so much knowledge!

Back