Yellow cabins

Triduana

Contributing Member
While on a tea break at work a few weeks ago I drew an abstract version of my view (there's an explanation after the images):

20230706_184756.jpg

Which I then flipped round and drew in the style of an illuminated letter:

20230706_184805.jpg

And today got around to doing a final version of:

20230715_233438.jpg

It's on Botanical ultra smooth paper, size A5, and I used Promarkers and Pitt pens. Sadly, I cannot draw straight lines. I should have taken more time over it really. I also think it's a bit too busy, and there should be less going on in the background. It was difficult to know what to put in, and what to leave out.

The orange area is a public road that is being replaced (hence why it's all broken up in the image). The big 'symbol' is the route of the new road, and a track leading to a construction site. The swirls represent the dust that gets kicked up in dry weather. The yellow cabins are part of the work site - the dot is for where I used to sit when I was in there. In the background is a swamp, the hillside and the low cloud that often comes in. The 'X' is where I planted an orchid a few years back.

Abstract is hard. Landscapes are hard. This took a good few hours. But I enjoyed it, and I may try another.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome, please be honest 🙂

Well isn't that clever AND an excellent piece! Looks nice as is, but I'd love to see it in glass- maybe a fused glass project. I can see it used in so many ways- even crewel embroidery. Excellent design eye.

Really great work!

Thank you for your comments @JStarr . It's interesting you mention embroidery, as I had that thought when I was drawing all the vertical lines 🙂.

Thanks so much CaliAnn, it's appreciated. I do want to try another of these. 🙂

I don't think there are too many elements in this - at ALL! It's lively, lovely and full of rich color. I love the backstory here. I love your broken boundaries. It's fun and inventive, and you pulled it out of a sketch. Applause!!! 👏

Many thanks Terri! I definitely need to do more sketching. 🙂

Last edited:
I love it, it's beautiful. And the background isn't too busy at all, the gold of the letter makes it stand right out from the background. Well done! 💝

I’ll have to disagree Wi h you about the background being too busy. Your color choices are spot on and draw the background to the background. Your design choices keep the eye focused and comfortable with what might otherwise be chaotic. I just get the feel of organized but emotional change. I really like it.

Back