Lighthouse in Ink and Wash

Joy

Contributing Member
I did this recently for a challenge. It is in Iceland, Lighthouse Hópsnes (Hópsnesviti), located in the southeast of the city of Grindavík on a small peninsula. This is 7 x 10, in a Canson XL 140CP watercolor paper sketchbook. Inspired by others excellent ink and wash paintings, I decided to try it myself. At Michaels (in the US), I had a coupon and rewards, so I got a set of three Sakura Pigma Micron pens in different sizes for $1. Still not sure what areas to ink, but it was fun to try something new.

14A215FA-FDAC-45E3-BAB7-3566D2470A09_1_201_a.jpeg

Really love this Joy, especially the grass on the side of the hill and the way you did the washes on the other side of the hill. I was drawn to the hill in general. It's the colors and the technique that makes my stomach soar. ♥️

Beautiful, Joy. Your colors are rich and deep, especially those grasses, and it really draws the eye in. It's a wonderful seascape and you did a terrific job rendering it. ❤️

Thanks, CaliAnn and Terri, for taking the time to look and leave such lovely comments.

Stunning painting, Joy! I love the grass too and the loose, washy, natural-looking sky.

Great picture Joy, I like lighthouses. You have a hand for watercolors that I could never achieve (so I went for ink markers). :)

It's beautiful, Joy. I'm a huge fan of ink and wash. I love those grasses in the foreground and I really like how you've used ink to define the bank of clouds on the horizon.

Lovely painting. I immediately concluded it must be Iceland, there are a lot of lighthouses in that style here (though I am on the other side of the Island from this one...).

Beautiful painting. Great use of color. I can feel the movement of a breeze stirring the grass.

Great use of both. I like how you lifted out the grasses. Well done.

Great piece Joy. I particularly like the soft sky and clouds contrasting with the strong lines of the lighthouse and grasses. the contrast creates great depth.

Joy superb watercolor scene ! What is the technique used for the grass (if I may ask ... 😊😇)? Do you paint then scratch?

Back