pocket sketching

ntl

Contributing Member
Anybody doing that course -- https://www.pocketsketching.com/ ? Instructor says to use Pilot Razor Point pen but only that on the faq page. The ink used in the class is to be water soluble, to be used with a damp/wet paintbrush.
Amazon has a stick pen, marker pens, liquid ink markers, porous points, etc.
Any idea? I'm thinking to get the stick pen, there isn't much detail in the description.

Pilot Razor Point pens should be rather common (think office supply place), and inexpensive. They are felt-tip with a tiny tip – just visible at the right end of the pen. My wife likes them to sketch with. I'd say the point is about 0.5 mm. The attached photo shows an old one - the ink is drying or running out. 🙁
The lower right corner shows what a wet finger does when daubed on the ink.

HTH,
--Rich

HDG_20220923_185545.jpg

My DD has (had--I'm confiscating it!) a PILOT G-2 pen.
The following is a quick sketch on the back of a regular envelope using it (thanks to your post Thanks!) and my water brush.
I've never done an ink/water sketch, this was enjoyed! ~ 5x3"
thumbnail_IMG_6820.jpg

I bought a pack of pilot razor point pens, it arrived today. So I doodled on scrap bond paper. The ink moves a little better, that may be because it's fresher. I don't know how old the pilot G-2 is. I'm enjoying it so far. Still used the water brush.

thumbnail_IMG_6829.jpg

Yeah the Razor points are ok and not too expensive. I used them a lot and bought them in office supply places. They are water soluble with a bluish tinge when wetted. For my better drawing I use Stadler permanent. For both I use 0 5, 1, 2 and 5 for different lines etc. I still carry them with a sketchbook even now I'm hooked on pastels.

I carry a Pentel Arts Stylo Sketch Pen (JM20-AE) with the delightfully odd flexible plastic nib whenever I go out. It's easy to use it for pen-and-wash technique if water is used soon after application, as it dries more waterproof after a while. Sometimes I carry a small waterbrush with it. The flexibility of the nib allows for varying line width once you get the hang of it.

Teo Yi has a good viddy wherein he explores watersoluble ink sketching with the Pentel Stylo.

Last edited:
Back