Playing with Pencils

JennieJo

Experimentalist
I worked on these between October 1 and January 1. Mostly Derwent pencils, with a few 'odd bods' I like to use black Columbia, some unnamed yellows and a set of Nature's Colours made from American Cedar Wood. Took a while, but I eventually got hooked on these soft subtle colours.
IMG_20230104_203045_1-01.jpeg
IMG_20230104_203335_1-01.jpeg
IMG_20230104_203433_1-01.jpeg
IMG_20230104_203551_1-01.jpeg
IMG_20230104_203651_1-01.jpeg
IMG_20230104_203754_1-01.jpeg
IMG_20230104_203618_1-01.jpeg

There's such a freedom of expression in these pieces - joyful and playful. I absolutely adore them, and can't pick a favorite - each one is uniquely you!❤️

My favorite is the portrait with two people. I like the way the relatively straight faces contrast with the curvy, billowing bodies. Oddly striking, yet somehow sentimental.

There's such a freedom of expression in these pieces - joyful and playful. I absolutely adore them, and can't pick a favorite - each one is uniquely you!❤️
Thanks CaliAnn, I'm finding that late in the day 'free drawing' is becoming a habit. I've transformed a sport saying "see the ball, hit the ball. It's that simple." Into "see a pencil, make a mark. It can be simple."

My favorite is the portrait with two people. I like the way the relatively straight faces contrast with the curvy, billowing bodies. Oddly striking, yet somehow sentimental.
Thanks Laika. I nearly left that one out! "Oddly striking and sentimental" ... love that description. I might use it in my next exhibition proposal.

I nearly left that one out!
Oh, I really like that one! After thinking about it, the faces look like those poses in old photography (old like 1870s) portraits in which people had to stand really still during the long exposures. I'm seeing a pioneer couple who dressed in odd costume for the portrait session. There's wainscoting on the walls of the photo studio and a patterned carpet on the floor, which also makes me imagine it set in a bygone era. I hate to use the word "sweet," but it strikes as sweet and wistful.

I also like that green sun or sunflower in one of the other pics :)

Love your creativity.
I agree with CaliAnn, There is such freedom of expression in these pieces and they are joyful and playful.

I see these images as a kind of study on shapes and forms.
Can I ask on what paper type and dimensions you use for them?

I used to make similar small sketches, most of the times with no clear subject, like a "subject search". This comes from my school years, as a child, and didn't stop since. I make them on any piece of paper, with what I've got in my hands or nearby: ballpoint pen, marker, graphite or colored pencils, fountain pen... I try several geometric or free forms, shading patterns etc. Often, after a few minutes I select one or two of those elements and work on them, as a study on those shapes and forms. Results are unpredictable, often surrealistic. I see this as a kind of imagination training, a manner to push my mind (or body?) to generate new forms and ideas.

These are all fantastic! Some would be at home in a child's room, and some over the mantelpiece! ❤️ Terrific variety of colors and feelings.

You do wonderful work, Jennie.

I worked on these between October 1 and January 1. Mostly Derwent pencils, with a few 'odd bods' I like to use black Columbia, some unnamed yellows and a set of Nature's Colours made from American Cedar Wood. Took a while, but I eventually got hooked on these soft subtle colours.View attachment 27369View attachment 27370View attachment 27371View attachment 27372View attachment 27374View attachment 27375View attachment 27373
Love your style, Jenniejo. Bold and beautiful.

You have such a distinctive style, JennieJo, and I feel like I could pick your work out from a crowd. Your use of graceful, curving lines seems to be a constant and I find these drawings all so intriguing! I am at the "make a mark" stage and it's always better than not making any marks that day.

Wow, a perfect picture made of only pencils. The art style is very unique and creative. Thank you for sharing. It inspires me to be more creative.

Oh, I really like that one! After thinking about it, the faces look like those poses in old photography (old like 1870s) portraits in which people had to stand really still during the long exposures. I'm seeing a pioneer couple who dressed in odd costume for the portrait session. There's wainscoting on the walls of the photo studio and a patterned carpet on the floor, which also makes me imagine it set in a bygone era. I hate to use the word "sweet," but it strikes as sweet and wistful.

I also like that green sun or sunflower in one of the other pics :)
Sweet :) a first for me. I usually say I don't do pretty. Sweet, I can handle that. Thanks. Also many thanks for your thoughts. I really appreciate them.

You have such a distinctive style, JennieJo, and I feel like I could pick your work out from a crowd. Your use of graceful, curving lines seems to be a constant and I find these drawings all so intriguing! I am at the "make a mark" stage and it's always better than not making any marks that day.
Thanks Donna. So glad you can see a style. Makes my heart sing a little.

These are all fantastic! Some would be at home in a child's room, and some over the mantelpiece! ❤️ Terrific variety of colors and feelings.

You do wonderful work, Jennie.
Thanks Terri. Usually, stay in my sketchbook folder. Such a kind thing to say.

Back