Pastel mini things

MurrayG

Contributing Member
Hi folks. These are less ATC and more some experiments in forcing myself to pay attention. I do small pastels in a 9×5inch format, an attempt at following the 9x5 principles of the early alaprima artists of early Aussie. To really focus on values and composition I thought to try the ATC format. Here's the result. All are from reference photos, but I aimed not to "copy".
So, not ATC in the sense of trading, but a fun experiment.
Thoughts?
Added- Forgot, Rembrandt soft pastels on Rembrandt pastel card. I sanded the surface with emery as it just over the top gritty, and yes 2.5x3.5 in.

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

Last edited:
These are so good, Murray! The second one reminds me of one of your larger pastel paintings. I bought an ATC from a pastel artist and found a pre-cut mat for it. The mat brings it up to an 8x10 size and in a thin black frame it looks very classy. I wish it wasn't so expensive to get art supplies through your mail because these little pieces deserve frames.

These are so good, Murray! The second one reminds me of one of your larger pastel paintings. I bought an ATC from a pastel artist and found a pre-cut mat for it. The mat brings it up to an 8x10 size and in a thin black frame it looks very classy. I wish it wasn't so expensive to get art supplies through your mail because these little pieces deserve frames.
Hi Donna. Well spotted, yes I used the photo from a previous painting of Australia. I wanted to see how different or limiting the size placed on the work. The harder pastels work ok. It really makes you focus. Thanks for the kind words.

Really beautiful work, Murray. I like the textural look of a little of the surface peeping through, especially in the top panel - or maybe that's an illusion?

Regardless, I always admire your rich colors and layers. I agree with Jo that these would make wonderful gifts.

Really beautiful work, Murray. I like the textural look of a little of the surface peeping through, especially in the top panel - or maybe that's an illusion?
Hi Terri. Thanks for the compliments. The texture is a bit of both. The sky is quite blended as is the beach, some areas of the sea were less. So the photo I think is showing some texture, but if I look with glasses, yep some surface. Compare to the aussiescape, less texture. I think also I may have not sanded the surface as much. They were done bottom1, middle2, top3. I going to try to "varnish". Pastels as ATC is iffy.

I like the textural look of a little of the surface peeping through, especially in the top panel - or maybe that's an illusion?
Ok I had another look and rephotographed. It seems more of pastel texture rather than background paper colour that's amplified in the photo. In reality is fairly "blended" but yup, texture from layers. Under very high zoom there are tiny spots of paper colour (olive green).

Last edited:
Hi Bart, yes, it's new to me as well. ATC= Artist Trading Cards. They are usually oil, acrylic etc as they are swapped as "cards" a bit like gaming cards collectors. Ayin put up this new category. I was drawn to the small size as I have been experimenting and also doing more 9x5's. With a small brush it's ok, with pastels 🤪 , makes me work.

Last edited:
Well done- working small does make one slow down and address the space more critically. You managed that marvelously.

Personally- and this is just my opinion- I despise fixatif. Hate it with a passion. It darkens everything and then you have to go back in and juggle your value-contrasts throughout, then fix again- or not. And it can clump pastel spot-bits together so that when it falls, it falls in clumps. Just a whole lot of trouble as far as I am concerned.

So my suggestion to keep these beauties fresh and pristine is to use clip-frames and capture the surface dead up against the plexi/acrylic 'glass', then clip it all tightly. I've framed up against plexi or glass for years- It saves having to have an extra deep rabet on the frame, and paying for spacers, too.

I've no idea about what Oz has for supplies- but I get shipping costs can be enormous and not worth the trouble. Doesn't mean you cannot find them in country, though, or even make them yourself if you have a high-speed saw or know someone who does. You can get the clips there, I'd bet- those stretchy-springy things old ladies use to put decorative plates up on the wall work marvelously.

Look for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Acrylic-Pict...-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=ARNUJ6KIT4BCP&th=1

The works are so very nice; I'd want to keep them fresh if I could.

Thanks so much JStar for the complements and tips. I agree with the fixatives and generally never use them on my standard pieces, but was wondering about them from something Bart was trying with a spray varnish. Since these are kinda not ATC's I will frame. But I'm considering the possibilities of ATC and ACEO's for coffee cash.

Back