Little Portrait test

MurrayG

Contributing Member
Hi folks, more mini tests. An old friend, now passed. Pushing the small format pastels to see where it goes. Rembrandt's on sanded Sennelier card, tan colour 2.5x3.5 inches.
The likeness is just ok, I will repeat with what I learned. The values are off here but some progress, but I think it's back to landscapes for rest of nerves. Easy to overwork in finding all the proportions by the size, but still surprising what you can do with pastel sticks.

IMG_1676.jpg

"If the value is right, the colour doesn't matter"

It's why Kitty Wallis' portraits work ( https://portlandopenstudios.wordpre...preneur-and-founder-of-portland-open-studios/ ) and Barb can use such a wide variety of hues to describe a shadowed or lit passage ( https://www.morninnoonannight.com/portfolio-viewer?collection=89849#lg=1&artworkId=1278504 ).

I'll lay odds you caught a better likeness than you believe- the face looks like someone you know. Getting it all onto the size paper on which you work is amazing, then getting it to look like someone is even better.

I know people are 'taught' warms are reds and yellows and they come forward, and cools are blues and greens and they recede, but to me, it is more high-chroma = warm, greyed colours = cools. You can see that easily here with the way that green tone recedes (it's not high chroma but greyed) and the red tone jumps forward (high-chroma).

Just something even more to think about since you've not enough to keep in mind working on ATC-sized paper-- 🙃 You're doing some great work and it appears you might even like it....

"If the value is right, the colour doesn't matter"
Getting it all onto the size paper on which you work is amazing, then getting it to look like someone is even better.
but to me, it is more high-chroma = warm, greyed colours = cools. You can see that easily here with the way that green tone recedes (it's not high chroma but greyed) and the red tone jumps forward (high-chroma).

Just something even more to think about since you've not enough to keep in mind working on ATC-sized paper-- 🙃 You're doing some great work and it appears you might even like it....
Hi JStar. Thank you so much for these compliments. Also, you thoughts are really useful. And yes, even though I treat this as a forced learning process, these small works teach me HEAPS.
I find it more natural to do the larger works, but yes I like these small works.

Last edited:
I think you portrayed so much character in this too, Murray. It's amazing how good this is for such a tiny format. Maybe that's what we should do when we are tempted to put too much in; just go for the simplest description. What mini are you doing next?!

I am really liking these. I think we can learn a lot doing many small paintings as opposed to one large one. I would never thought of a portrait that small. Good job.

Thanks Jo and Bongo. I am certainly learning unexpected stuff, like which actual colour sticks are harder, those that don't layer well, values, proportions.
@Bongo, it was a lucky photo from a few as he turned to me. It stood out as special. I will do a larger one for family.
Thanks for the comments

You've captured character and emotion, not just likeness. At any size that's the goal of portraiture. You did it!

Hi folks, more mini tests. An old friend, now passed. Pushing the small format pastels to see where it goes. Rembrandt's on sanded Sennelier card, tan colour 2.5x3.5 inches.
The likeness is just ok, I will repeat with what I learned. The values are off here but some progress, but I think it's back to landscapes for rest of nerves. Easy to overwork in finding all the proportions by the size, but still surprising what you can do with pastel sticks.

View attachment 33600
Really like the way you've worked the pastel. Understand the need to get back to something more familiar

Really like the way you've worked the pastel. Understand the need to get back to something more familiar
Hi Jenny, thanks. Sure I like my landscapes. But to improve I have to stretch myself, but it's at times stressful. Learning stuff tho.

Back