Another mini pastel - Seacape

MurrayG

Contributing Member
Ha. Hooked. This is a mini study of the big seascape posted earlier. It really makes you focus. The texture is very evident as I may not have sanded the card enough.
Again, Rembrandt's on sanded Sennelier pastel card, 2.5 x3.5 inches.
IMG_1663.jpg

Very well done- I think that texture may be a good one for you as it is making you think how to capture the most with the least amount of pastel since it will not take many layers.

( One of the friends I spoke of on the other thread was, for awhile, working on Canson which was forcing him to use a really light touch- taught him to think ahead ).

it is making you think how to capture the most with the least amount of pastel since it will not take many layers. working on Canson which was forcing him to use a really light touch- taught him to think ahead ).
Hi JStar. In a way yes. I use Canson MT a lot as it's what I can get here. I use the smooth side as the waffle is too much for me. The pastel card is very gritty, I use a fine emery to soften it. I'm also lucky that the batch of Rembrandt's I managed to break by a drawing board falling on them, now are of use. The sharp edges can be used.

Hi JStar. In a way yes. I use Canson MT a lot as it's what I can get here. I use the smooth side as the waffle is too much for me. The pastel card is very gritty, I use a fine emery to soften it. I'm also lucky that the batch of Rembrandt's I managed to break by a drawing board falling on them, now are of use. The sharp edges can be used.
Tom Christopher (the other friend who took a year off) still makes his own textured ground- he mixes marble dust into gesso, and then uses a big ol' paint brush to coat the, I think, posterboard or foamcore- and he leaves the brush marks very evident. They often show through the pastel, so that, especially brushy/tree-filled/under-story areas look interesting, but not detracting from his center of interest.

As to breaking the Rembrandts- I mean, sorry for any crumbs, but a fortuitous accident if it ended up- no pun intended- giving you an edge. 😉 🤩 😉

This is a beautiful little seascape. Love those green highlights! Those clouds are a nice touch as well - so tiny. Good work! 🙂

Another small gem! This might be my favorite yet. The movement and colors in your water are spellbinding!

Back