Old Adobe in Pastel

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
I painted this a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure about it but maybe your remarks will see if I portrayed the idea in my head. It is from a photo in Taos, NM, as I recall. I'm not fond of painting from photos. I used a variety of pastels. I start with hard and work to soft. I work over the whole painting so as to not get bogged down with details.

21010adobe600.jpg

Old Adobe
Pastel on Pastelbord, 14 x 11 inches

Critiques always welcome.

I like it.
One spot over the viewer right side of the house just over the tree branch against the green really bursts forward.

Lovely Jo, I like the green against the light purple.
Just one crit....my eye goes right to the sky holes of that tree
where all of the contrast is and not to the adobe house.
Unless that is your intention.

This is really gorgeous, Jo. Beautiful palette! I love everything about it, and thanks for adding the details about how you approached this painting

I've no issues with the slight color changes across the adobe. What I'm seeing is that the horizontal line seems to drop off on the left side. I almost hesitate to say it, too, since it may be the way you held your camera.

Either way, an easy fix to a beautiful job. :)

Very nice. I like the way the light is shining on the side of the building and lights up the ground in front of the building. I agree with the others that the high contrast in the tree pull your eyes away from that lovely light on the building and ground.

I know what you mean about painting from photos, Jo. It’s not the same as being there but at least you are familiar with the colors of the Southwest. This is really well done! I like how you orchestrated the light so we follow it through the foreground and right up to the house. To me, the building in the back is distracting from your house a bit. If you could live without it and put in more of that lovely violet hillside it might give more of a rustic rural feel but it’s just an idea. It’s a very appealing painting as is!

I'm not used to seeing your work from photos, Jo! Love how you've handled the colours, particularly the wonderful touches of purple - I really enjoy how they creep from the hillside into the foreground shadows.

This is beautiful. I especially love the purple color in the mountain. Great job! ♥️

I painted this a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure about it but maybe your remarks will see if I portrayed the idea in my head. It is from a photo in Taos, NM, as I recall. I'm not fond of painting from photos. I used a variety of pastels. I start with hard and work to soft. I work over the whole painting so as to not get bogged down with details.

View attachment 12345
Old Adobe
Pastel on Pastelbord, 14 x 11 inches

Critiques always welcome.
Hi Jo, I like this, its so bright and the little Ive seen the colours work. The forground leads into the Adobe and the distant hills. My only tiny thing is my eye gets drawn to the bright area behind the right tree. But really, the shadows and values work really well.

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. I looked too hard. I try to look upside down, in a mirror, black and white and still couldn’t see. Overlooking and overthinking.

Wayne, Perry and Murray I appreciate you saying something about the color behind the tree. I knew something was odd and couldn’t see it for looking. I will get to try that very soon and repost. Thanks.

Terri, I tend to have things lean left when sketching so it may be in the painting I will check. The two little trees in front of the house really lean that way and it may contribute. I’m going to change it to find out. Thank you.

ams, Anne, thank you. I love adobe buildings.

Donna T, thanks for your comments. I am always inspired by your pastel works.

Triss, thank you for stopping in and commenting. You know I love purple.

Artyczar, thank you so much.

It is nice to get so much good followup.

Love the adobe Jo, the whole thing is lovely. I do agree with everyone about the spot behind the tree, it appears to be another, indistinct, adobe but it does call attention away from your lovely adobe that should be the focus. ❤️❤️

Jessie, thank you. I like color above all else.
Nufocus, thank you so much.
snoball, thanks. I hope to fix that tomorrow.

All y'all, thanks so much.

Wow Jo! The changes you made really brought this painting to another level! It's so beautiful and I wish you the best of luck with the online show!!

Back