Nyoni oil based pencils

Bongo

I only use colored pencils occasionally in my oil paintings - I have been using Polychromos by Faber Castel. I have nothing to compare them with since that's all I've used for my limited application. I'm hoping to find something: oil-based, softcore, inexpensive (or available individually - I don't need a big set). I came across these Nyoni colored pencils https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3TZUJQ6OU6L9E

Oil-based, reasonable priced, advertised as softcore. I also read an excruciatingly detailed review that gushed over them - but then he wasn't trying to use them over oil paint in a painting.

Has anyone used Nyoni pencils or could suggest another brand that they think might work well with oil painting?

Well, you may not like the price, but the Caran d'Ache Pablo are the only ones I use, aside from a few colors they don't make that I prefer in Faber Castell (a couple of browns and blues). I can tell you which one I buy as separates in those if you care, but these are the ones I swear by.

Thanks Arty - the Pablo's are also sold individually so I could get a few that way - a pencil would last me for many months. Cause I'd just be using it mostly for fine lines on oil paintings. But I don't know what would work best over oil paint - soft or hard lead? I would think soft - but maybe not.

Interesting! I would like to expand my colored pencil set, right now I have Prismacolors and Marshall's oil pencils. Love my Marshall's, but they are getting older and several are now cracking along the sides of the pencil!

These Pablos look beautiful, and I really appreciate being able to buy open stock. I WANT THEM ALL!!! :ROFLMAO:

A few years ago I called customer service with questions, which you should verify yourself, as recipes can change.
the (new) web page is https://www.fabercastell.com/pages/...olychromos-color-pencil-features-and-benefits where it says "The Polychromos Artists' Color Pencils are comprised of vegetable oil, wax and the highest quality pigments with superior lightfast characteristics and brilliance. There are minimal amounts of wax used so that there is no waxy bloom produced." and "contact us"
This was the response a few years ago: Then the phone number was 1 (800) 311-8684 I think.
from polychromas customer service: She said, "The oil used is not walnut, safflower, linseed or soy.
I'm not quite sure I understand the question - It does not remain wet if that's what you're asking.

She continued, "They are permanent and lightfast when used on paper, no fixing is required, there's no waxy bloom. We do have artist consumer who use the Polychromos to sketch out their work and then apply oil paint over it. But there is no dry time involved with Polychromos. If you are looking to use them over oil paint - they were not designed for that, so it would be necessary to test them. The vegetable oil used in the base is Palm oil."

I haven't used them with oil paint at all, either as a beginning sketch or any other way. I do use them with oil pastels, which is why I got them. I also have in my notes that they're not okay with the oil bars/sticks.

My understanding of Prismacolors is Prismacolors are wax-based, and sometimes a Prismacolor drawing will develop a thin, waxy film on the surface called wax bloom.

Last edited:
Good stuff to know. I think I knew some of this stuff about the Prismacolor (the waxy stuff), and I tend not to use, or rather, mix them with any other brands.

Thanks for the info - I've been using a Polychrome pencil for sketching under oil point - but I lost it - using a #2lead pencil until I can get another color pencil and thought I'd try a different brand. Polychrome worked okay - but will melt if you put Liquin over it - probably they all would.

I might want to use them occasionally on TOP of an oil painting - Polychrome is hard, and okay for sketching, but maybe not the best for on top of oil - I would think since oil painting surfaces are relatively smooth, a soft pencil might work better.

Still looking at oil pencils - but in the meantime, I've been using a 2b lead pencil for under oil paint sketching- and liking it a lot. Somehow my drawing is a lot better and I can do some erasure.

Back