Comparing differences in White Pencils ~ Bonus Comparing Black Pencils

JSparrow

So @laika posed a question about white pencils in the thread "What's Wrong With Colored Pencils". I thought I would carry on that discussion over here.

I didn't find my test swatches for my white pencils, so I quickly dashed one out. And since Laika mentioned using Polychromos (I assume Faber Castell) I chose a Poly for the test color swatches. Helio Turquoise (the picture loses trueness to this beautiful color.)

So this is my in person assessment of the results. I'll address the Faber Castell Polychromos first. However, it is not on the first swatch.

Just as you say you experienced, Laika, my Polychromos white (from a 2019 repeat edition of vintage colors and labeled simply #1) showed very little over the color. I had to bare down and it was impossible to see on the white paper. Of the four pencils I tested, it came in at a poor last.

The other three made good marks over the color swatch and can be seen fairly well on white paper if the light and angle are right.
I rank them as follows:
#1 Derwent Drawing Chinese White 7200 ~ (though not as creamy as the Luminance, it gave the best coverage and the brightest white. However, I don't know how this type of pencil fits into a work of colored pencils or it's archivabilty. Anyone knowing feel free to jump in.
#2 Caran D'Ache Luminance White 001~ The quality is so close to the Derwent that there could even pose a question of any affect my quick layering of the swatch color might have made on the difference. This is actually my number one go to pencil when I need a white but then the Chinese White is a late edition to this party so we shall see.
#3 Caran D'Ache Pablo White 666001~ Pablos are harder than Luminance so need a little more bearing down to draw out the white, but I think it will work well for fine lines. it shows close enough to the top two but not my first recommendation
#4 Faber Castell 2019 Limited Edition Vintage set #1 ~ waste of time to try to get good use out of this. Buy one of the others--they sell individually--and put this one in the kid's pencil box.

It appears I don't own a Prismacolor white. Is it possible all of the themed sets I bought has no white? Yep. I just dug out my boxes (If you're curious ~ Landscape, Botanical Garden, and Under The Sea). None have white.

I tried to adjust the color on my smart phone to get as close a match as possible. The turquoise is off but you can get the idea. Forgive my sloppy handwriting. I wasn't exactly taking my time. And no, the Poly did not turn up as well in real life as it does in the photo.

20220217_064536.jpg

Bonus, my black test swatches:
20220217_065157.jpg

I love the Arteza Noir, but when being discriminating, The Prismacolor gives a nice creamy, rich black.

Have fun with this!

Last edited:
Wow, J, you're a fount of colored pencil wisdom! I think the Derwent Chinese White is available to me locally, so I'll definitely be looking for that one. Thanks so much for sharing this excellent and detailed comparison of the whites and the bonus addition of some blacks!

To be fair to the FB Polychromos White that I complained about, mine was old, dried, and hardened; it worked much better after I cut way back on the core. Looks like it's pretty translucent at its best, though. I am looking around for a white Stabilo All pencil that is somewhere around here...

Last edited:
Thanks, that is a nicely done comparison. Does this show the colours more accurately?

View attachment 19033
It seems this is just a difficult color to match online. Even Blick and Jerry's fail to match the warmth of the color on their sites. I will just have to pick a more suitable color to swatch next time. :unsure::cool:
Wow, J, you're a fount of colored pencil wisdom! I think the Derwent Chinese White is available to me locally, so I'll definitely be looking for that one. Thanks so much for sharing this excellent and detailed comparison of the whites and the bonus addition of some blacks!

To be fair to the FB Polychromos White that I complained about, mine was old, dried, and hardened; it worked much better after I cut way back on the core. Looks like it's pretty translucent at its best, though. I am looking around for a white Stabilo All pencil that is somewhere around here...
Thank you, Laika. I hope the Chinese White works out for you. I'm sure it will. At your word, I freshly sharpened my Polychromos and gave it another go but still find it doesn't color well over the pencil swatches. And to be more clear, none of them are opaque over the other colors, just some show better than others, shifting and lightening the colors.

But now two points of interest. I'd been decluttering that day and came across a pink sharpie marker and just had to swatch it it for the fun of it. ALL of the pencils did well over that. They looked really lovely in fact! :D

Secondly, I have just dug out a half finished work and totally forgot about the whole grey toned aspect. The work is on a grey Ampersand Pastelbord. The white shows up nicely on that.

Anyway, sorry my response has been so delayed. I had family from out of town this past week so have been rather preoccupied with that.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
So after finishing my Roseate Spoonbill Babies (seen here: https://creativespark.art/threads/roseate-spoonbill-babies.3602/
My assessment for comparing white is a bit more informed.

The clear winner is the Derwent Chinese White. By the time I got to the last layers I struggled to make the white marks I needed while using the Caran D'Ache Luminance. However the Derwent Chinese White still added creamy white layers. Also in person, the white catches the light so well that the pale pink/almost white of these babies is more correct than I can show on the photo. It practically glows in a very nice way.

Back