My friend and her horse

Nikki

I am so humbled by the exquisite artists on this site. I’m pretty much a beginner- my second oil painting. I sincerely would appreciate constructive criticism to help me improve. (12x16 oil on canvas)

Attachments

• CF8B613E-3BC8-4241-B419-F34D956D0FE8.jpeg
    CF8B613E-3BC8-4241-B419-F34D956D0FE8.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 80
Looks wonderful to me! If you're gifting this, your friend should be thrilled.

That's a wonderful painting! My only suggestion is to keep doing what you're doing and you will improve. :)

If this is only your second oil painting, I'm blown away! You have a great eye for detail. The horse is especially well done. The rider is very good too. The background, though you probably didn't want it in focus, could be rendered more, or rather shaded in more greens (more variations). It's an amazing piece really and you're clearly very skilled at this! A success I'd say! ♥️

If this is only your second oil painting, I'm blown away! You have a great eye for detail. The horse is especially well done. The rider is very good too. The background, though you probably didn't want it in focus, could be rendered more, or rather shaded in more greens (more variations). It's an amazing piece really and you're clearly very skilled at this! A success I'd say! ♥️
Thank you so much for the feedback! I absolutely struggle mightily with the background. Which is why I have it blurry. I was wondering if I should have made it less distinct or busy- less broken up by sky, perhaps, so it doesn’t compete for attention with the horse? Or tone down the color. But I definitely see your point that more color variations could improve the look.

Very impressive for it being only your second painting. Keep at it, you are off to a great start!

Back