My First Miniature

WFMartin

This is the sort of stuff that I've been painting, lately. My first was better than my second one, so I'll post it here. This is a 5" x 7" oil painting on Fredrix Canvas Board. Couldn't post it in the "Miniatures" category of this site, because a 5" x 7" isn't considered a miniature by their requirements.
mailbox_cabin.jpg

Thank you. It feels good to get back to pushing paint around on a surface, once again. I am one of those oil painters who could wallow in the materials, such as the paint and mediums. I love the feel, I love the smell, I love the way my paint behaves under the brush. I even like the task of mixing medium, and cleaning the tools, and containers. I suppose that makes me a dedicated oil painter. I carry the photos of my little minis on my cell phone, and show them to my wife, when I visit her. She enjoys seeing them, although she usually forgets that she saw them a couple of minutes after having seen them.

So charming - and beautifully painted. It's very kind of you to share them with your wife. I hope you'll keep pushing paint around.

Thank you, Sno, and Donna. This is my way of getting back into painting oils, without having to make a great commitment tp something such as a larger painting. Painting miniatures is fun, and I get to push paint, and medium around. I've been inspired by an artist on Youtube, called, "Yasser Fayad". He paints these sort of subjects, and uses a limited palette.

Well done- especially with the limitations you've placed on yourself, size and palette-wise. It looks a wonderful spot to be.

Well done- especially with the limitations you've placed on yourself, size and palette-wise. It looks a wonderful spot to be.
Hi Deb! Haven't seen you in quite some time. Thanks for your comment. Do you ever hear from anyone from the ol' Cennini gang?

Last edited:
The color balance of this piece has been bugging me ever since I posted it. Hopefully, this next photo of my painting will be a more accurate representation of its true color.
mailbox_cabin.jpg

Yeah, .....That's better!

Attachments

• mailbox_cabin.jpg
    mailbox_cabin.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 20
Hi Deb! Haven't seen you in quite some time. Thanks for your comment. Do you ever hear from anyone from the ol' Cennini gang?
ummmm.... I think you may have mixed me up with someone else. But I do recall you and your work from 'another venue'.

This is beautiful and a great way to keep smushing the paint around. Looking forward to more.

JStarr, .....Are you not Debra Jones from the old Cenninni Forum, and Wet Canvas days? Your handle used to be DJStarr, if I recall.
Sorry if I have the wrong person... You did a demo for me at our art club, when I was program directory. Again, sorry if I'm mistaking you for someone I knew in the past.

It looks fantastic.
I really like how you've captured the grass in that small of size. The distant mountains also look great.

Thank you. It feels good to get back to pushing paint around on a surface, once again. I am one of those oil painters who could wallow in the materials, such as the paint and mediums. I love the feel, I love the smell, I love the way my paint behaves under the brush. I even like the task of mixing medium, and cleaning the tools, and containers. I suppose that makes me a dedicated oil painter. I carry the photos of my little minis on my cell phone, and show them to my wife, when I visit her. She enjoys seeing them, although she usually forgets that she saw them a couple of minutes after having seen them.
A perfect thing to show your wife! So sorry to hear she is unwell. Obviously life has gone on since we last communicated. Changes that aren’t for the better unfortunately, but is life. I thank goodness i can do art…. Well sometimes it takes months to physically do any art, but my head still ponders, visualizes, makes plans for my artwork. And when I have strength i at least can do something i like, even if it is a simple tiny sketch. Its great you are getting back to your art too by the sound of it. Smaller works can really hit the spot. I also take more risks in the small pieces. Not as intimidating. End up learning a lot, improving skills or am awarded creatively.
I love painting in oil, but cannot due to rashes and severe asthma. But I remember the joys of it!
Are you going to stick with smaller pieces?

I don't know if I'm going to stick to smaller formats, but I'm enjoying doing this size at the present time. My usual size used to be 16" 20", and I've sold many paintings of that size.

I don't know if I'm going to stick to smaller formats, but I'm enjoying doing this size at the present time. My usual size used to be 16" 20", and I've sold many paintings of that size.
I remember those paintings well! 🙂

Back