Let's paint oils from life!

Thanks @Enyaw I appreciate your kind comment.

Here’s my next one, “The Bar-le-Duc Gate” oil on 24x30cm (I think) canvas panel - I tried to embrace the idea of painting thickly this time inspired by a YouTube video I’ve seen this morning. He said that oil is to be used thickly, not thinned like watercolor. It’s interesting for sure.
z8geDA8.jpg

I hope summer’s going well for everyone. It’s supposed to be super hot here in 2 days. 🥵

That is nice. It's good to see plein air painted as it was intended to be. A color study that included autmospheric depth and value. I like the coloring.

Hi, DM, that's a nice one for sure. Good lights and darks. Wonderful orange gate!

Flower box on bbq table. 4x6" on canvas paper. (and palette) I finally got out to do some painting. The sky was gray, but the rain held off. ala prima/ plein air. x posted to plein air forum. C&C welcome.
So here's my palette: ultramarine & cyan, cad yellow light & med, hansa yellow, cad orange, alizeron crimson, a red, burnt sienna, a mix of greens, titanium white.

thumbnail_IMG_6727.jpg

flower box

thumbnail_IMG_6729.jpg

@ntl lovely palette. Also nice subject to paint from. I like how you did the textures. Keep it up!

Here's mine. "Chateau de Marbeaumont Castle" 4h plein air with oil on 20x30cm canvas panel. I wanted to give up several times because all the details were overwhelming me, but I managed to keep going by telling myself to just add one more stroke and don't worry too much. While it was a good experience it was very exhausting. The heat isn't helping either. 🥵
c1f9U8G.jpeg

DM, Amazing! Lovely piece, great control of lights, lines, colors. I especially like that you used most of the canvas for the building.

Reactions: Dm7
Thank you @ntl and @Artyczar ❤️ I just noticed that in my last post, my image is very small. I tried to post it from my phone and I think I messed something up. Sorry about that. 😂

Anyways, here’s my next one. It was a chilling session - no time pressure and I got to sit, so chill all the way. Painted on 24x18cm canvas panel with oil. Experimented a bit too.

jCcT1a1.jpg

Thank you! :D Here’s yet another spam from me… (somebody please break my spam with your art 😂)
“Valoreille” oil on 30x20cm canvas panel. 2 hours. I think I like this style more and more. I’m looking for a medium that keeps brush texture/impasto but allows me to dilute oil paints. Any suggestions?

iGaUDC4.jpg

“Pays-de-Clerval Buildings” 2 hours oil en plein air on 20x30cm canvas panel with limited palette (3 colors).
It might be an odd feature to pick out, but I like that shadow on the side of the foremost building.
Impressive work overall with only 3 colors! I'm guessing red and blue, but I'm curious about that range of greens. Yellow?

It might be an odd feature to pick out, but I like that shadow on the side of the foremost building.
Impressive work overall with only 3 colors! I'm guessing red and blue, but I'm curious about that range of greens. Yellow?
Thank you! I used Winsor Red, Cadmium Lemon, and Prussian Blue (I don’t count white as a color). :) I used the same colors last 2 pieces too.

Your plein air work is impressive! Thanks so much for sharing it here and please keep them coming! I like the style of the last one too - seeing the brushstrokes only adds to the beauty of the landscape. Have you tried Gamblin Solvent-Free Gel? It adds a little body to the paint.

Thank you so much @Donna T I appreciate it! :) A few other people also has suggested this Gamblin Gel to me too. I’ll investigate that. I was told that Winsor & Newton Liquin Impasto is also good. For now I decided to embrace the painting straight from tube idea and see where it goes. I need to let go the idea of trying to be economical. It’s a bit like coloring lightly because you don’t want your color pencil to get worn out so quickly, but your art suffers as the result. Know what I’m saying?

Anyway, enough of rambling.. here’s my next one. “Dead Moth” - oil on 24x18 cm canvas panel - a still life study of a dead moth that fell from our caravan’s roll up blind. I learned that it’s not really wise to do a study of something so small unless I have a good set up. Since I’m camping, I didn’t have proper equipments for it. Nevertheless, I’m glad I did something. Still experimenting with this style and like it a lot. I will explore of that from now on. ❤️ Limited palette again - Winsor red, cadmium lemon, and ivory black.

QxPQxsj.jpg

Very nice! It has that soft moth-y look.
Limited palette again - Winsor red, cadmium lemon, and ivory black.
Interesting! I guess the cad yellow and ivory black are where the greenish and bluish colors come from? And you gotten warm reds and even browns out of the Winsor Red somehow? Very nice work on the color mixing. I'm making a note this odd (to me) primary triad :)

Back