January 2022 Animal & Wildlife Challenge

Lovely hot weather here too. I'm just home from holiday and we are stll getting hot remps here, But a Cyclone expected in the North Island of NZ and Tonga has just had a Tsunami - strange Summer weather!

I see by today's news, the noise of the explosion from the Volcano erupting in the islands of Tonga, was heard in New Zealand. which is 2,500 kms away! I didn't hear it, but many did apparently. The Tsunami, which followed was in Tonga, and flooded many low-lying areas, but we didn't get it in NZ.

Today is 20th Jan here in NZ so here's my entry. Ive painted the Butterfly in watercolor - on watercolor paper - 20cm x 25cm
20220120_151316.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one to get us started Viv, I like your leaves and the minimalist composition has a touch of the abstract about it.

I'm keeping strange hours at the moment, so I'm up very early to kick off for the northern hemisphere! I'm having a bumper bird month and have painted three of the birds.

Swan - watercolours on A4 cold pressed paper.
swan first finished425 (788 x 554).jpg

Sparrow - watercolours on A5 cold pressed paper. I struggled with this and had to do a lot of lifting and reworking. The scan is flattering, it's a bit of a mess in real life!
sparrow second finished edited (600 x 434).jpg

Goose - watercolours for background, Inktense pencils for bird. A5 cold pressed paper. I really enjoyed this one!
Goose finished417 (500 x 378).jpg

Hawkmoth - Oh I love your bird paintings, especially the Sparrow and Swan! It is so difficult to get the "roundness" of a Sparrow, and youve done it perfectly! Welldone!
We have had a very hot Summer down here in the bottom of the world, but a cold front has gone through today and it feels like Autumn again - oh no, surely not, too soon yet, too soon!!

Christel - Aha, yes weve done it again, the same reference! Great minds think alike etc!
I really like your butterfly on the stone, well done!
Have a quick look at the All Media Art Events - Ive just posted a framed Oil Pastel of shells, you may remember me painting it in Oil Pastels on Wet Canvas.

Vivien, nice butterfly and soft background.

Claudia, wonderful work on all three. I especially love the soft shadows of the swan and the hint of pale color on the feathers. The inktense pencils worked very well on the goose. One of these days I'll have to get a set and try them out.

Christel, beautiful rock painting. That must be quite a challenge!

Here are mine for the month. Ink & water-soluble graphite. I am having a lot of fun with this medium. It's helping me to loosen up.

20220101Sk6 Canada Goose (CS Jan Wildlife).jpg

20220108Sk6 Turtle (Jan Animal).png

Nice one to get us started Viv, I like your leaves and the minimalist composition has a touch of the abstract about it.

I'm keeping strange hours at the moment, so I'm up very early to kick off for the northern hemisphere! I'm having a bumper bird month and have painted three of the birds.

Swan - watercolours on A4 cold pressed paper.
View attachment 17644

Sparrow - watercolours on A5 cold pressed paper. I struggled with this and had to do a lot of lifting and reworking. The scan is flattering, it's a bit of a mess in real life!
View attachment 17645

Goose - watercolours for background, Inktense pencils for bird. A5 cold pressed paper. I really enjoyed this one!
View attachment 17646
My goodness, Claudia, three excellent watercolours. Each is very good. I like the backgrounds, too.

BBL to comment on all of the great works. This is something new for me, Derwent Graphitint watercolor pencils with a wee bit of watercolor. It is on Hahnemuhle toned paper, 95 lb, A5 size. Getting used to using them, not really sure what I'm doing.

F0464340-18D7-42AA-88C2-159463D29FC1_1_201_a.jpeg

You are doing very well, Joy. I like your sparrow. I have a flock of them in the bushes outside the kitchen and they make a lot of noise - they are one of the things Indy will jump at when they are noisy.

I have watercolour pencils but don’t use them much. I must get them out and use them.

Viv, your butterfly is elegant and light. Great work on the accompanying leaves, too.

Claudia, your swan just sings in its pure white feathers against a blurred abstract bg. The sparrow is petite and perky in its environment and your choice of a smooth wash wc bg then the more details for the main goose is perfect.

A smart idea to paint a rock with the butterfly, Christel. Those are still popular and have been a long time.

Anne, your goose and turtle in ink/graphite both have nice values. Glad it is helping loosen up.

The wc/cp goose has superb colors despite your paper problems which is not that noticeable. I guess you could always add collage to the bg.

Joy, I have those pencils also and they work well for illustrating and drawing purposes. Your sparrow is very nice. You have developed your sketching skills and that helps with any art.

A quick wc of the sparrow, mostly a head focus, about 3x3 miniature on 140 lb Canson cold press paper.

Sparrow Crop.jpg

Viv, your butterfly is elegant and light. Great work on the accompanying leaves, too.

Claudia, your swan just sings in its pure white feathers against a blurred abstract bg. The sparrow is petite and perky in its environment and your choice of a smooth wash wc bg then the more details for the main goose is perfect.

A smart idea to paint a rock with the butterfly, Christel. Those are still popular and have been a long time.

Anne, your goose and turtle in ink/graphite both have nice values. Glad it is helping loosen up.

The wc/cp goose has superb colors despite your paper problems which is not that noticeable. I guess you could always add collage to the bg.

Joy, I have those pencils also and they work well for illustrating and drawing purposes. Your sparrow is very nice. You have developed your sketching skills and that helps with any art.

A quick wc of the sparrow, mostly a head focus, about 3x3 miniature on 140 lb Canson cold press paper.

View attachment 17678
Thanks, Kay. A sweet sparrow. Excellent, as usual.

Penny, nice work on the goose. Sorry about the problem with the paper.

Joy, lovely job on the bird. You did just fine with the new pencils.

Kay, I like your crop and close up of the sparrow. Nice background too.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Back