I don’t know what to do

MrBungle

Pushing almost 50, don’t work in IT anymore after 25 years And trying to figure out what to do next. I don’t know how to make money with art especially knowing your art is not typically the norm or accepted. The last 2 years wreaked havoc on my life with the pandemic and hurricane Ian. Story of my life.

Everything I do is creativity related. Any suggestions on what to do or where to go or how to get started?

:cautious:

First off: do you mean you're retired, or just out of the IT field?
Second: do you want to make money from your artwork? It's supposed to be fun, a creative outlet - and you only have to make yourself happy with it.

I can't tell from your post if you're looking to switch from IT to another line of work, or just focusing on how to potentially sell your art. :)

I can’t do the computer thing anymore and was trying to change my path in life… it’s more of a forced retirement for me. Being widowed at 40 I realized I lived my life for others and just want to do what makes me happy at ya get paid for it too

You know, if you figure the average amount you might expect to get for a painting considering your skill level and outlets available to you to make sales, -- and the amount it takes to live a modest life for a year -- you can then calculate how many paintings per week (every week) you would have to sell to survive. And you might only sell one in 4,5,10 or ? And you have to buy paint, frames, canvas, etc. And if you have representation split with the gallery.

On top of that it's a can be a fickle market. If you don't have a good commission base or alternate source of income...

You know, if you figure the average amount you might expect to get for a painting considering your skill level and outlets available to you to make sales, -- and the amount it takes to live a modest life for a year -- you can then calculate how many paintings per week (every week) you would have to sell to survive. And you might only sell one in 4,5,10 or ? And you have to buy paint, frames, canvas, etc. And if you have representation split with the gallery.

On top of that it's a can be a fickle market. If you don't have a good commission base or alternate source of income...
IT it is. LoL

Got an interview request for this coming Monday at an application development firm /crossing fingers

Its been a ride the last 2 years..

I would have a lot of advice for you, but some of it you may not particularly like. Some of it you could really love and find helpful. However, NO ONE can tell you what to do. But, if you have some sort of plan to replace your old job that made a steady income with an art career that will support you in the same way (especially overnight), that is probably (99.999%) unlikely/unrealistic. That doesn't mean you can't make money from your art. You certainly can; you just have to adjust your expectations about it. You'd most likely need to build something slowly while understanding what you're getting into in order to lessen any disappointment along the way, or loss of security, etc. There's still a way to do it though. It takes a lot of hard work and patience, and you will mostly likely never be "rich" monetarily. You can be, but it's rare.

I always tell folks who believe I should put more effort into selling, "Within ten miles of me right now there are ten people who are better than me, trying to make a living with their artwork- and they're starving."

I'm not saying "Don't bother", I'm saying "Don't bet the farm" Have a back up income source.

Back