54551ade96331e177ed5684c9fcb1ad8.jpg

A1q51QxhZeL._AC_SY741_.jpg

a3d78377a52259e4865479ee480de47d.jpg

c6cb8540f3b5044dd6e0f3ab43833030.jpg

crawling eye.jpg

creature from black lagoon.jpg

creature with the atom brain.jpg

d1f7335ebc84697eb41fcd466cea9add.jpg

Hmm. I don't think so. I just haven't thought of any yet. I don't feel guilty about looking at things I enjoy I guess, no matter how "taboo," art or otherwise.

well… I appreciate the movie

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of starting a new thread on "guilty pleasures"... and then found this old one that I had started some 4 years ago. I read through it all again. God! How I miss Musket. :cry:

So among all our members do any of you want to admit to any "guilty pleasures" related to your art? I can probably think of a number of others.

I will check out the Avengers. I know of the show of course, but never watched it as it was before my time. I did see a couple of the first episodes of the Prisoner though. I couldn't get into it at the time because I was leading a busy life at the time in my twenties (music) when I started renting the episodes, but it looked like it was up my alley.
We use Tubi for 'old stuff' and have just watched a few Avengers. Enjoyed them all over again.

Now that my school year is down to 2 days with students... most of whom won't show up... I have some time again to post here on CS. I thought I might continue with my thread on "guilty pleasures." Certainly, one of my "guilty pleasures"... one I wouldn't have suspected myself embracing years ago... is the use of the color PINK.

While I appreciated the use of pink by Rococo painters (a "guilty pleasure" already mentioned...

Roslin_Neubourg-Cromiere.600.jpg

... as well as some of the works by Alphonse Mucha...

10. DanceDark.650.jpg

I first really embraced using PINK in my art as the result of an art class I was taking as part of the requirements to renew my teaching license. At the time, one of the students in the class was a 17-year old girl who defined herself in one critique as a "girly girl" who loved all things PINK:

Disney Princesses:

main-qimg-6016d6da6c5f4dd64a44aa83635824a5.jpg

Victoria's Secret lingerie...

s-l1200.jpg

Barbie (the film had not yet come out)...

MEGA989664_002.jpg

and Malley's Chocolates... a local chocolatier:

DKGLSO3B3NGOZEVWUSNYFKJGPQ.jpg

I began to think about using ideas from her aesthetic sense (especially the use of PINK) merged with my own sensibilities... that are admittedly a bit "darker"... "quirky"... "unhinged".

I ended up coming up with a take on Snow White and the Evil Queen called "Fallen Snow" using PINKs as well as the stripes from Victoria's Secret and Malley's packaging.

27. BeFunky_FallenSnow final.700.jpg

Since then, I have used PINK in my paintings quite a bit... including in my current work in progress:

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

I've even taken to wearing the color... getting tired of all the grays and earth tones in men's clothing... and figuring as an
artist/art teacher I might as well look the part:

PINK.jpg

I love those movie posters! They are works of art without having to watch the movies.

You go in that pink fedora, SLG. Looking fabulous. Agree that men should not be relegated to neutrals - no one should (as I stand here in my black tee shirt and gray shorts)! :LOL:

I'm trying to think of artistic guilty pleasures, and like Ayin am kind of stuck - if I like it I don't feel any particular guilt in viewing it.

That said, my husband and I have been working our way through Star Trek (the Original Series), and most of it is laugh-out-loud BAD. In many ways. Even while appreciating the production and technical limits of the late 1960s, the scripts and costumes can be wince-inducing. It's enjoyable to see how this series has evolved, with all the applicable canon.

Now that my school year is down to 2 days with students... most of whom won't show up... I have some time again to post here on CS. I thought I might continue with my thread on "guilty pleasures." Certainly, one of my "guilty pleasures"... one I wouldn't have suspected myself embracing years ago... is the use of the color PINK.

While I appreciated the use of pink by Rococo painters (a "guilty pleasure" already mentioned...

View attachment 40823

... as well as some of the works by Alphonse Mucha...

View attachment 40824

I first really embraced using PINK in my art as the result of an art class I was taking as part of the requirements to renew my teaching license. At the time, one of the students in the class was a 17-year old girl who defined herself in one critique as a "girly girl" who loved all things PINK:

Disney Princesses:

View attachment 40828

Victoria's Secret lingerie...

View attachment 40825

Barbie (the film had not yet come out)...

View attachment 40826

and Malley's Chocolates... a local chocolatier:

View attachment 40827

I began to think about using ideas from her aesthetic sense (especially the use of PINK) merged with my own sensibilities... that are admittedly a bit "darker"... "quirky"... "unhinged".

I ended up coming up with a take on Snow White and the Evil Queen called "Fallen Snow" using PINKs as well as the stripes from Victoria's Secret and Malley's packaging.

View attachment 40829

Since then, I have used PINK in my paintings quite a bit... including in my current work in progress:

View attachment 40831

View attachment 40832

I've even taken to wearing the color... getting tired of all the grays and earth tones in men's clothing... and figuring as an
artist/art teacher I might as well look the part:

View attachment 40833
Mentioned to a friend yesterday ... I find it hard to choose pink paint!

Well... let's continue on with my artistic "guilty pleasures"... even if I'm mostly only talking to myself. Another "guilty pleasure" that might be found among the true "fine arts" is Mannerism. Mannerism was a period that fell between the Late Renaissance and Caravaggio and the Baroque. It was a period that was almost Modernist in its conscious rejection of Naturalism/Realism and embrace of expressive distortions of color, form, and space. I call it a "guilty pleasure" because it has long been ignored in favor of the Renaissance and the Baroque. I think we spent a day or two on it in my Art History courses... which were quite in-depth. I discovered most of the Mannerist artists I admire by myself.

Arguably, one of the first Mannerists was the German painter, Luca Cranach. It has long blown my mind that many of his paintings are almost pin-ups... painted for wealthy Lutherans. He was also known for his portraits of Lutheran clergy... including Martin Luther.
BeFunky_The Three Graces2.jpg.jpg

Mannerism is often attributed to the Sack of Rome which resulted in a backlash against those responsible... and the art of the time (the Renaissance) much as Modernism owes much to a backlash against the powers-that-be that allowed for WWI. Michelangelo's later works are cited as among the first and most influential works on the development of Mannerism.

BeFunky_7584215242_e1a79ce0fe_o.600.jpg

His use of "shock color" (look at the red shadows in the green fabric), superhuman musculature, explosive poses, and spatial distortions were major influences on the artists immediately following... especially in Italy.

BeFunky_Pontormo.sm.jpg

Pontormo...

tumblr_nen52o83p71srjl7to.med.jpg

Allori...

BeFunky_57352470.jpg.jpg

Bronzino_Portrait_of_a_Young_Man small.JPG

Bronzino...

parmigianino.600.jpg

Parmigianino...

BeFunky_fiorentino90.jpg.jpg

Rosso (Fiorentino)...

1329.jpg

... and sculptors such as Cellini all made extensive use of distortions of form (especially anatomy), space, and color and frequently rejected the traditional Renaissance use of a central focal point by consciously leaving the center as a void ("the centre cannot hold..." W.B. Yeats' The Second Coming suggests a similar thinking in the era of Modernism... which again, has frequently compared to Mannerism).

One of my favorite paintings from the whole of the "old masters" is Bronzono's Allegory:

BeFunky_Angelo_Bronzino.medium.jpg

The painting... which is laden with symbolism... yet unlike Renaissance allegories lacks any clear narrative or meaning... is undoubtedly disconcerting... even shocking... especially if you know Greco-Roman mythology enough to recognize that the two lovers are Venus and Cupid (her son).

Mannerism made a great deal of use of explicit sex and violence... as is clear not only in Bronzino's Allegory, but also Cellini's Perseus with the Head of Medusa. Mannerism was embraced by a good many artists in Holland and Belgium.

9414784982_1f4a787e2d_o.small.jpg

Cornelis van Haarlem...

FransFlorish RebelAngels.700.jpg

Frans Floris...

4011346032_7ab236fb41.jpg

Lucas van Leyden...

4.med.jpg

BeFunky_ad_ev_hg54.jpg.jpg

fdd9672215521810d508a2f1845b04b4.jpg

Hendrick Goltzius... a true connoisseur of sex & violence....

BeFunky_wtewael99.jpg.jpg

... and Joachim Wtewael, whose painting of Perseus & Andromeda... with the life-size (or over-life-size) nude was undoubtedly shocking for the art in the Netherlands at the time. I have to wonder if Rubens ever had the opportunity to see this painting. Actually, I was lucky enough to see it in person a good many years ago (it is stunning) at the National Gallery of Art.

I suspect Mannerism remains something of an era of under-appreciated "black sheep"... and a "guilty pleasure for those who love it... due to its rejection of Realism/Naturalism. Many cannot fathom how the art of the Medieval period... or that of Modernism... seemingly rejected the masterful Realism/Naturalism that went before. The same may be equally true of Mannerism.

Mannerism made a great deal of use of explicit sex and violence... as is clear not only in Bronzino's Allegory, but also Cellini's Perseus with the Head of Medusa. Mannerism was embraced by a good many artists in Holland and Belgium.

View attachment 40896
Cornelis van Haarlem...

View attachment 40897
Frans Floris...

View attachment 40898
Lucas van Leyden...

View attachment 40899

View attachment 40901

View attachment 40900
Hendrick Goltzius... a true connoisseur of sex & violence....

View attachment 40902
... and Joachim Wtewael, whose painting of Perseus & Andromeda... with the life-size (or over-life-size) nude was undoubtedly shocking for the art in the Netherlands at the time. I have to wonder if Rubens ever had the opportunity to see this painting. Actually, I was lucky enough to see it in person a good many years ago (it is stunning) at the National Gallery of Art.

I suspect Mannerism remains something of an era of under-appreciated "black sheep"... and a "guilty pleasure for those who love it... due to its rejection of Realism/Naturalism. Many cannot fathom how the art of the Medieval period... or that of Modernism... seemingly rejected the masterful Realism/Naturalism that went before. The same may be equally true of Mannerism.
I'm enjoying your guilty pleasures. But, I'm more of an observer.

I'm enjoying your guilty pleasures. But, I'm more of an observer.

Isn't that a large part of art: scopophilia... an aesthetic pleasure drawn from looking at an object or a person?

If it’s sweet and sad, sentimental and repulsive, cute and creepy, it must be postmodern mannerism
By Kay Larson

The art historian Walter Friedländer, early in the 20th century, defined Mannerism as an extension of the High Renaissance style—and an evolution away from its grace and balance. Emotionalism, distortion, the disappearance of symmetry, unnatural or extreme exaggeration, and an unsettling anxiety—these are the signs of the anti-classicism that emerged in the 16th century.

Maybe it started with the creepy homunculus baby Jesus's? Not sure if the timeline fits. Idea's started to distort realism.

1717606203620.png

Back