Do you bake?

Today's creation ...

20230506_185907.jpg

20230506_185913.jpg

Thanks Zen. It was the coronation of King Charles III today, and while I didn't get swept up in the excitement, I don't need much of an excuse to bake a cake. :)

Well... with a rather crappy oven in our current abode (we're waiting on Summer... if not later to look at houses) neither my wife nor I have done much by way of baking. We do, however, cook a lot at home. My wife recently made chicken noodle soup as the perfect remedy for the head cold I was battling. We make a lot of meals in the crock pot/slow cooker including Hungarian Goulash (not American Goulash, or hamburger, tomatoes, and macaroni... although we might have that as a quick meal on a busy weeknight), Hungarian Paprikas, and any variety of stews. I was going to make Birria Grilled Cheese Sandwiches this weekend, but it seems I've come down with a relapse of that cold... or more likely, got exposed to a new strain from one of my students.

Alabama Jama- moist af corn bread.. secret recipe

The best cornbread I ever had was at a restaurant in Lexington, Kentucky. They presented you with their cornbread before every meal and gave you a postcard that had the recipe on the back. I've never been a huge fan of cornbread, but that was fantastic! You can be sure we kept the postcard. Unfortunately, we lost it over the years. :(

I only just discovered corn bread a couple of months ago when I was on holiday. I can't believe I've never had it before, it's delicious! I will have to try baking some.

If you split a piece of cornbread and put those cut sides down in a pan with a little melted butter and heat it until it browns it's especially good with butter and honey. Too good!

I like making my own granola. Store-bought stuff is usually too crispy for me. I also like to swap out the kinds of dried fruit and berries.

Gathered up all the ingredients:

20230306_135608.jpg

The basics: oatmeal, topped with sliced raw almonds, unsweetened coconut, raw sunflower seeds, and raw pumpkin seeds, then mixed up with honey and peanut oil:

20160828_123211-1.jpg
20230306_140700.jpg

Then add your faves: I like dried cranberries, golden raisins, dried tart cherries and maybe currants or dried blueberries.

Mix it all up and you get 2 pans of yummy!

20230306_141422.jpg

I only bake it for 20 minutes at 250'. That's all it takes to cook the oatmeal. It fills a gallon size baggie and lasts for over a week. I put it in plain Greek yogurt and it's a little bit of heaven!

I must have been a horse in a previous life because I love all things oats - especially granola! My recipe looks almost identical to yours, Terri, except I use maple syrup instead of honey.

Ooo, I bet the maple syrup imparts another interesting flavor! Also, it's important to some to keep this kind of thing vegan: the use of honey makes it non-vegan. Maple syrup would keep it so - and, one other vegan thing I tried once was agave syrup - it was pretty good!
But I like honey over everything else. ;)

Back