Do you bake?

I forgot to post this: I always make.my Christmas cake in the middle of September:

20220925_155946.jpg

It's a fun day. I wear my festive apron and listen to Christmas music. The cake is now stored under the stairs and will be fed with brandy every now and again.

I forgot to post this: I always make.my Christmas cake in the middle of September:

View attachment 25112

It's a fun day. I wear my festive apron and listen to Christmas music. The cake is now stored under the stairs and will be fed with brandy every now and again.
That's exactly what my mother used to do! It was a wonderful time of the year - really Christmassy ! As children, we loved watching and helping. Her recipe was fabulous ! She made my wedding cake using that same recipe !
Cheers,
Patricia

Brilliant, Patricia! I've made it this way since I used to help my dad when I was a child. It's nice to have a festive day at the end of summer 🙂
I had thought of using the recipe for my wedding cake, but it was the decorating of it that put me off! So we're getting it made.

View attachment 25112

This looks gorgeous! Your recipe sounds intriguing - I've heard of this, never done one myself. Beautiful!

Thanks Terri! I've used the same recipe every year: lots of fruit (soaked in Madeira or a good sherry for a while beforehand); dark sugar, treacle, mixed spice and a few other things and covered in royal icing and silly decorations. I've also taken on the Yorkshire tradition of eating it with a good piece of Wensleydale cheese. They go really well together!

Donna, those look delicious but almost too cute to eat!

I said "almost," of course. ;) I'm sure they're all gone and were a huge hit!

Early yesterday, my DD asked me to make cinnamon rolls sometime soon, like I used to when she was a kid. So I got out my DGM's recipe and typed it out. It got a bit confusing at the end, but I think I have it figured out. She wrote it out in Jan. 1972. She finished her directions with "I hope directions are clear. Maybe like mud. huh. Good luck."
I grew up on her bread, rolls, and cinnamon buns, usually gooky buns. I will supervise DD as I can't do that work anymore, but it will be nice (or deadly) to have some of those.
Absolutely delicious, loaded with gluten and carbs.

How cute! What are the bodies and eyes?
Thanks ntl and all for looking at my goofy spiders. The little girls next door giggled when I said I couldn't believe they would eat a spider. The bodies are malted milk balls aka Whoppers. The eyes came in a package that I found in the cake decorating aisle of the store. I think these were the smallest size. I saw other variations of these spider cookies on Pinterest where a chocolate covered peanut was used as a smaller body section but then there was no room for the eyes and I thought the eyes were the best part so I stuck with the Whopper version.
Best of luck with the cinnamon rolls, ntl! They are well worth the effort and a few extra carbs will be burned off to keep you warm at this time of year, right?

Back