Concrete Bird Feeder Part 3

Hermes2020

Concrete isn’t good under tension, so the arms and legs will need some orthopaedic plates at critical points. I designed the plates in Rhino 3D, then exported the profiles as .DWG files. These files were fed into a CNC (Computer Numerical Control) milling machine to cut the plates from 3mm aluminium sheet to an accuracy of less than 1mm. The plates have 10mm diameter holes at the correct positions for 10mm threaded stainless steel rods that will connect the concrete elements together.

Plates.jpg

The plates, along with full size printouts of the sculpture parts will be laid out on a 16mm thick MDF base sheet. Holes of 10mm diameter will hold 10mm bolts as alignment pins at the correct positions where the connecting threaded rods will be located.

The size of the base board is 1500 x 1300mm, with that extra segment at the bottom for the right foot. This photo shows the board with its battle scars from previous projects. There are a few plates ready to be positioned correctly before the 10mm reference index holes are drilled. The extra bigger holes will allow the plates to be anchored into the wet concrete.

Base Board 2.jpg

Base Board 3.jpg

The base board is stabilized with 40mm battens underneath that also allow space for the bolt heads.

This is a 3D "X-ray" view of all the plates and their locations.

All Plates.jpg

The weird looking plates for the hands are the brackets that will support the tray.

This is how the plates will be located on the base board. The red dots are the locations of the 10mm connecting stainless steel threaded rods.

Positions of Plates.jpg

Attachments

• Positions of Plates.jpg
    Positions of Plates.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Positions of Plates.jpg
    Positions of Plates.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thank you all, friends. I appreciate your comments. Understand that I am 100% reliant on the functionality of the software I love to use, and don't really have the artistic skills so many others have here at Creative Spark. What also helps is that, unlike many of my generation, I am very much in favour of using my computer as a tool in the creative process.

This is absolutely amazing and incredible! Just having the ability to plan it out this far is so far beyond what I could ever do. Wow!

This is absolutely amazing and incredible! Just having the ability to plan it out this far is so far beyond what I could ever do. Wow!
Thank you for saying that, but I think everyone has some special abilities that surface when the need arises and the motivation is strong.

This is fascinating, so thanks for sharing your process. As a 2D thinker, it’s impressive to see somebody add a third dimension to their vision. It’s hard enough juggling just two of them. Haha.

Did I read that you worked as an engineering or something? Although I’ve seen your good work with painting, I think my particular favorites of yours are the chunky/earthy sculptural forms. Not only are they very tactile, but they also seem sort of…ancient. Like moi.

This is fascinating, so thanks for sharing your process. As a 2D thinker, it’s impressive to see somebody add a third dimension to their vision. It’s hard enough juggling just two of them. Haha.

Did I read that you worked as an engineering or something? Although I’ve seen your good work with painting, I think my particular favorites of yours are the chunky/earthy sculptural forms. Not only are they very tactile, but they also seem sort of…ancient. Like moi.
Thank you and you are most welcome, because I really love sharing techniques. No, I am not an engineer, but have a doctorate (PhD) in organic chemistry. After a working life mostly in academia, I am now retired and potter around with arty stuff and music.

Back