Competing With A Billion Other Artists In The World 🎨

Bob, I suggest you reread the about page regarding stirring up divisive content. Try to be more respectful of the other members of the forum. Thank you 😊.
what divisive content are you referring to exactly ?
feel free to post here in this thread or pm me

This argument doesn't really seem like a productive use of this thread which was thriving fairly well otherwise? Perhaps it can be moved to a private message or just dissipated entirely as it's not productive in the slightest?

It's not an argument @rodhlann , just differences of opinion .

but I like how people are so quick to want to delete anything online that makes them uncomfortable or just plain disagree with because they don't like the other persons point of view .

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not an argument @rodhlann , just differences of opinion .

but I like how people are so quick to want to delete anything online that makes them uncomfortable or just plain disagree with because they don't like the other persons point of view .
I don't think it is the other persons view that is in question - 🤔 it seems to me it's the self centered arrogant & self inflated EGO manner in which it is presented! Now I must switch to a conversation that has meaningful content!

there are 3 types of artists

* Hobbyist
* Amateur
* Professional
I responded to a product review request from an online Art Supply E-tailer. Those questions were selectable options to chose about yourself. 😝..... Marketing
I chose the “Other” option and typed in “Painter”

I never said I was going to delete this, Bob. I inferred it was getting divisive and argumentative and was putting you in check to respect the other members here. Differences of opinion and starting to insult others personally can get tricky. Just make sure you are being respectful when presenting your point of view. That's all.

"people are so quick to want to delete anything online that makes them uncomfortable or just plain disagree with because they don't like the other persons point of view"

If you are going to revert back to the thread you posted before that got deleted, I private messaged you about that. It is yet another rule we have here about not speaking about religious beliefs here--something you touted as "censorship." You should read more about what censorship is, as this is a privately-run forum, not a government or something. We have rules here and we have every right as an independently private-run entity to not want certain things discussed and/or debated (or have the potential to be debated) here. If you want to start your own free-for-all, on-line community of artists that you want to pay for and moderate, by all means, go right ahead. If you don't like how we do it here, then you don't have to participate, or complain about this one. You're welcome to post any kind of image and/or bad language here, sans hateful stuff. Other forums won't let you do that. Every place has their own sets of rules, and there are reasons for it. You can assume it's because we don't "like" opposing views, are "uncomfortable," but it might be because of something you haven't even thought of, like liability, moderation time, headaches, chaos, protection of the members, the mission of this project, etc., and many, many other reasons.

Yeah, bob, less contention and more content (as in your show us some of your artwork). ;) Even with my constantly spewing fount of comments, I sometimes post a bit of my "art hobby" efforts.

LOL ...
Then you'd have no problem giving all your paintings away then huh ?
Not sure if you are joking or trolling, but it's an interesting question none-the-less.

I like to keep my paintings for two reasons: 1) they appeal to me and they are triggers to deep meditative memories of the moment; 2) I look at them at different times to learn from them. So I had to learn to be willing to part with them, which I am finally doing more of, even though they just pile up in my garage.

Admittedly, if I were to sell them I would not feel good selling them too cheaply. That's got to be pure ego speaking. I'd rather give them to a friend than to sell them for peanuts to a stranger. Which doesn't mean that I wouldn't welcome someone, a collector, offering me substantial sums for them, even were I unwilling to let them go. If you'd like to test that assumption, you can start by offering me at least 4 figures that don't start with a zero!

I guess it depends on the sex of the nude.

And that would likely depend upon the preferences of the audience. ;) :)

Having said that... some of my favorite works of art are of the male nude:

Olympia-Hermes-of-Praxiteles.700.jpg

ApollonBelvedere.med.jpg

DonatelloDavid.s.JPG

met-6-2.700.jpg

rey minos juicio final capilla sixtina roma miguel angel michelangelo 495.jpg

Bacchus_WGA.sm.JPG

IMG_1724.650.jpg

IMG_0537.JPG

fighter.650.jpg

Manwitharatsmall.JPG

I like to keep my paintings for two reasons: 1) they appeal to me and they are triggers to deep meditative memories of the moment; 2) I look at them at different times to learn from them. So I had to learn to be willing to part with them, which I am finally doing more of, even though they just pile up in my garage.

Admittedly, if I were to sell them I would not feel good selling them too cheaply. That's got to be pure ego speaking. I'd rather give them to a friend than to sell them for peanuts to a stranger. Which doesn't mean that I wouldn't welcome someone, a collector, offering me substantial sums for them,
I feel pretty much the same.

I’d like to add that for me art is not a competition with other artists or a marketing pidgeon hole. I resist categorizing myself. My success is in the piece, and when I feel a measure of success from have made something that I feel has improved upon previous works, I like to share that piece, or often give it away. That is why I post on forums with other “artists”...to share and get feedback. To be honest, that is some striving for ego stroking, but I think without judgements on others, and hopefully not judging myself to harshly.
I don’t see any value in categorizing or name calling to measure artistic “success” or an artists worth (or anybody’s worth). That’s kinda like putting yourself in someone else’s shoes, but those shoes are shoes that don’t fit You, so you feel there not “good enough”. Not really in the spirit of sharing or empathetic IMO.

Last edited:
I don't really see it as competing. I see it all as collaboration, one immensely massive collaborative art project. Someone creates art that inspires a piece I do, and that piece inspires others to make their own, and so on, until it comes full circle.

I want to be a youtube artist, and I don't define "successful" as a million subs and a bunch of ad money in this endeavor. I simply want to cultivate a decent sized community of artists who appreciate my work and my videos and want to share their work with me. If some of those subs want to buy my art that would be awesome of course, but that's not my main concern. I like making art and I like making videos. Both make me happy, and I want to share that with others.

If I'm unknown beyond my own following that's fine with me. I just want my work to be appreciated, and to connect with others through it.

Back