Competing With A Billion Other Artists In The World 🎨

People paint or make things because of the satisfaction they get from just doing it.
Introducing competition into the mix just makes comparisons inevitable and subsequently kills any satisfaction that is gained. Competition ensures that there are winners and losers. In other words the greatest misery for the greatest number.
I hope we can aspire to something better.

I'd be careful about making statements concerning why artists... besides myself... make art. Some make art primarily for money. And certainly, there are those who are or have been competitive in the creation of art. Competition was a driving force for many artists and artistic movements. I was more competitive with other artists/students as a younger artist... but today my primary "competition" is with myself... always striving to surpass my past work... or do something different.

I'd be careful about making statements concerning why artists... besides myself... make art. Some make art primarily for money. And certainly, there are those who are or have been competitive in the creation of art. Competition was a driving force for many artists and artistic movements. I was more competitive with other artists/students as a younger artist... but today my primary "competition" is with myself... always striving to surpass my past work... or do something different.
I couldn't agree more.

Back