Central Market

Bongo

This is by the pedestrian bridge I've painted a couple of times before.

centralmarket1.jpg

Turned out to be tricky to set up an easel at a good angle.

The sketch
centralmarket2.jpg

The block in
centralmarket3.jpg

Progress
centralmarket4.jpg

From here I really struggled - I ended up chopping off some of the right-hand side. Since this is on a panel it's easy to do with a table saw.

Central Market: oil on 14" x14" panel
centralmarket5.jpg

Really cool. I don't know why, but I love the parking lot bits the best. Your works are always so compelling to me.

Love the winding path that leads into this to the market. Nicely done!!

You set up in places I would never consider and manage to paint some very nice works! I like the square comp - it seems to make those gorgeous trees more prominent to me. Do people bother you much as you paint?

Wayne, Arty, Joan - thank a bunch. The alternate title for this is - Giant Cucumbers Escape From Market

Donna - no most people just leave me alone, when they do approach me they are very nice and complimentary. Yesterday a girl wanted to paint with me!

Wayne, Arty, Joan - thank a bunch. The alternate title for this is - Giant Cucumbers Escape From Market

Donna - no most people just leave me alone, when they do approach me they are very nice and complimentary. Yesterday a girl wanted to paint with me!
It's so nice that someone wanted to paint with you! Just think of the different versions of giant cucumbers that could be created! :)

I try to not miss any of your posts, Bongo. Yup, you set up in places that are not the most “picturesque” in the world and the results make them sing. Cool!

Perry, - thanks composition/design is everything.

Nu - deciding what to paint is an ongoing problem for me. And doing Plein air hasn't changed that. It is so so so different than going out with a camera to take pictures. A photo takes 1/120 sec. of your time - a PA is a two-hour + commitment. You can position to take a photo from nearly any angle or position. PA is from standing eye level, the subject needs(should be) "far" enough away so that it is sight-size or less. In the city that is a real challenge. So many cars, buildings, trees, streets, etc, restrictions, that hinder a set up - not to mention lighting and your skill set. It is fun - but getting to the fun part can be frustrating.

Great artistic interpretation of what appears to be a mundane scene to many.
Those winding sidewalks I found were deceptively simple looking until I tried to paint them. You have nailed it and the cukes.

Back